TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Can you lock model X with keys inside?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by pismobeachvet, Jan 1, 2020.

1. pismobeachvet

pismobeachvet Member

I recently tried to lock my model x with both key fobs in the trunk (using my app) - going for a hike and didn't want to bring extra stuff. Car appeared to lock but when I touched the door, it just unlocked and opened like normal. I then removed one fob and locked it on the fob (and carried fob 50' away) and tried again, same result. What the heck? Is it not possible to lock the car if a fob is inside?

2. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

Yes. It is possible to lock with your fob inside if you know how to.

By default, your fob emits a signal to allow the car to be unlocked.

So to do what you want: You can defeat that unlock function by sabotaging its signal.

You can disable the signal by taking its battery out.

You can also hide the signal by a Faraday Cage if you don't want to take the battery out.

3. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

There is also a dead spot in the X (left rear corner inside?) to put the fob so you can hide the fob and unlock with the app (if you trust the cell phone signal, etc.). See the manual. Some SC’s use this for pickup after hours.

Faraday bags aren’t 100% foolproof, I’ve had then leak enough that the car ‘sees’ them.

Normally of course you can’t lock the car if the fob is inside as the fob unlocks the car.

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. jdchi

jdchi Member

This article describes the location of the dead zone:

2. KEY FOB “DEAD ZONE”
    If you need to leave your key fob in the vehicle without worrying about the car being unlocked and possibly stolen, place it on the floor of the cargo area next to the left rear wheel well. That is a “dead zone” where the signal from the key fob can not be detected by the car’s computer. You or anyone you give permission to can unlock the car and retrieve the fob using Tesla’s smart phone app.

This is a trick often used by Tesla service center personnel. They can leave cars when they are done servicing them with the key fob inside. That let’s owners pickup their cars whenever it is convenient by using their phone app, even if the service center is closed.​

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  5. RoBoRaT

RoBoRaT Zero Farts Given!

I tried the "dead zone", did not work for 2019 X. Even when locked with App, the car doors still open with just pressing the door tabs.

Anybody tried with success?

6. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Active Member

Is the fob that heavy? Just bring it

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
  7. Hodginator

Hodginator Member

Removing the batt is the best option in my opinion and only takes a few seconds.

8. BlueBird

BlueBird Member

This will also be the case when you want to sleep in the car. You will have the keys inside the car and will want to have your doors locked. I find that the Faraday bags are very efficient, but will experiment with this dead zone. Possibly using both to ensure full security.

9. house9

house9 Supporting Member

If you are in the car with the fob can’t you just lock the door with the fob or click the lock icon on the screen?

10. Soey22

Soey22 Member

You’re correct, only way to lock yourself in with FOB is to press the lock on the screen. Not the Fob, or else anyone can just press the door from the outside and it will open

• Informative x 1
  11. BlueBird

BlueBird Member

Not very convenient to access the screen when you are sleeping in the trunk. This is the reason and for extra protection that I am locking the doors from the app and using the Faraday bag.

12. Soey22

Soey22 Member

Doesn’t camp mode address this? I’m asking as this would be the main reason for using camp mode. I haven’t tried or looked into the full features of camp mode.

13. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Better test all of this if the dead zone doesn’t work for newer cars. Posts have said the doors still open whether or not the lock ‘button’ is pushed if the fob is in the car.

As I said, faraday bags aren’t 100% effective either.

14. pismobeachvet

pismobeachvet Member

I was more wanting to do so in a situation where my wife and I both had our fobs. In my toyota, the car would allow a fob to be locked in if another fob initiated the door lock.

15. pismobeachvet

pismobeachvet Member

Did not work on my 2019 Long Range Model X either. Anyone have success? Am I doing it wrong?

16. Need

Need Active Member

It is not possible if a working fob is inside the car. I found this out when my car was delivered with only one fob. They said they will deliver the other fob later. My car cannot be locked for 2 days until I found the "other fob" under the passenger seat!

17. MrShakeHands

MrShakeHands Member

It might be detecting your phone’s Bluetooth if you have your phone with you when attempting to open the door.

I too was disappointed that I couldn’t get it to stay locked in the dead zone, but I’ve replicated this multiple times:
    - Left key in dead zone, walked away, came back and it opened (had phone in my pocket).
    - Key in dead zone, walked away, left my phone on the ground a decent distance away, came back, tried the door and it stayed locked.

18. Need

Need Active Member

New Model X can open door with passive phone's BT like Model 3?

19. Soey22

Soey22 Member

No

20. hoxtrade

hoxtrade Banned

tried it, doesn't work! (for me)