Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you lock model X with keys inside?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently tried to lock my model x with both key fobs in the trunk (using my app) - going for a hike and didn't want to bring extra stuff. Car appeared to lock but when I touched the door, it just unlocked and opened like normal. I then removed one fob and locked it on the fob (and carried fob 50' away) and tried again, same result. What the heck? Is it not possible to lock the car if a fob is inside?

Is it not possible to lock the car if a fob is inside?

Yes. It is possible to lock with your fob inside if you know how to.

By default, your fob emits a signal to allow the car to be unlocked.

So to do what you want: You can defeat that unlock function by sabotaging its signal.

You can disable the signal by taking its battery out.

You can also hide the signal by a Faraday Cage if you don't want to take the battery out.

There is also a dead spot in the X (left rear corner inside?) to put the fob so you can hide the fob and unlock with the app (if you trust the cell phone signal, etc.). See the manual. Some SC’s use this for pickup after hours.

Faraday bags aren’t 100% foolproof, I’ve had then leak enough that the car ‘sees’ them.

Normally of course you can’t lock the car if the fob is inside as the fob unlocks the car.

There is also a dead spot in the X (left rear corner inside?) to put the fob so you can hide the fob and unlock with the app (if you trust the cell phone signal, etc.).

This article describes the location of the dead zone:

2. KEY FOB “DEAD ZONE”
If you need to leave your key fob in the vehicle without worrying about the car being unlocked and possibly stolen, place it on the floor of the cargo area next to the left rear wheel well. That is a “dead zone” where the signal from the key fob can not be detected by the car’s computer. You or anyone you give permission to can unlock the car and retrieve the fob using Tesla’s smart phone app.

This is a trick often used by Tesla service center personnel. They can leave cars when they are done servicing them with the key fob inside. That let’s owners pickup their cars whenever it is convenient by using their phone app, even if the service center is closed.​

2. KEY FOB “DEAD ZONE”
If you need to leave your key fob in the vehicle without worrying about the car being unlocked and possibly stolen, place it on the floor of the cargo area next to the left rear wheel well. That is a “dead zone” where the signal from the key fob can not be detected by the car’s computer. You or anyone you give permission to can unlock the car and retrieve the fob using Tesla’s smart phone app.

This is a trick often used by Tesla service center personnel. They can leave cars when they are done servicing them with the key fob inside. That let’s owners pickup their cars whenever it is convenient by using their phone app, even if the service center is closed.​

I tried the "dead zone", did not work for 2019 X. Even when locked with App, the car doors still open with just pressing the door tabs.

Anybody tried with success?

This will also be the case when you want to sleep in the car. You will have the keys inside the car and will want to have your doors locked. I find that the Faraday bags are very efficient, but will experiment with this dead zone. Possibly using both to ensure full security.

It is not possible if a working fob is inside the car. I found this out when my car was delivered with only one fob. They said they will deliver the other fob later. My car cannot be locked for 2 days until I found the "other fob" under the passenger seat!

It might be detecting your phone’s Bluetooth if you have your phone with you when attempting to open the door.

I too was disappointed that I couldn’t get it to stay locked in the dead zone, but I’ve replicated this multiple times:
- Left key in dead zone, walked away, came back and it opened (had phone in my pocket).
- Key in dead zone, walked away, left my phone on the ground a decent distance away, came back, tried the door and it stayed locked.

It might be detecting your phone’s Bluetooth if you have your phone with you when attempting to open the door.

I too was disappointed that I couldn’t get it to stay locked in the dead zone, but I’ve replicated this multiple times:
- Left key in dead zone, walked away, came back and it opened (had phone in my pocket).
- Key in dead zone, walked away, left my phone on the ground a decent distance away, came back, tried the door and it stayed locked.

New Model X can open door with passive phone's BT like Model 3?

2. KEY FOB “DEAD ZONE”

tried it, doesn't work! (for me)