Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you order a Model 3 Performance without Uberturbine wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone tried or been able to order a 2022 Model 3 Performance without the Uberturbine wheels (sport wheels instead)? My 2018 Performance was just totaled and I think the settlement will be enough that I can afford a new 2022 Performance but I cant stand the looks of the Uberturbine wheels. I understand I could just sell them and get aftermarket wheels but it seems like a headache and is probably a lose money proposition. If Tesla has sport wheels available for sale it seems like they could just swap them out.

Just went to showroom and I can confirm that they will not put any other wheels on the performance model. Best they could offer would be to buy another set from them and try to sell the Uberturbines.
You are better off finding the set you want 1st (check/join the Facebook "Tesla parts buy sell trade" group), as a lot of people sell there wheels there and offer older wheels for sale similar to yours. Lots of people want the MP3 2021+ uberturbine wheels for their non M3P or some one that trashed them on the curbs. The new M3P wheel is a 20x9, as opposed to yours, which was a 20x8.5. That is why the tire is stretched over the rim a bit on the 21-22 model.

If they totaled the car, find where it will go and if you can work a deal to buy the rims for a discounted price.

Reactions: golfcart
I got some brand new satin gray Tsportline TS5 (Basically a Zero-G knockoff) on ebay for a good price. I love the look, can't wait to put them on. The factory performance tires and the TPMS from the uberturbines should swap right over then I will just sell the uberturbines on the forum or ebay or something.

My car (once it is built) should basically look like this but with the red calipers and window tint.

TS5_Midnight_Silver.png

TS5_Midnight_Silver_Close.png

Reactions: JBT66
I got some brand new satin gray Tsportline TS5 (Basically a Zero-G knockoff) on ebay for a good price. I love the look, can't wait to put them on. The factory performance tires and the TPMS from the uberturbines should swap right over then I will just sell the uberturbines on the forum or ebay or something.

My car (once it is built) should basically look like this but with the red calipers and window tint.

View attachment 836038

View attachment 836039
Those are the best Tsportline wheels IMO. Guess you decided to place an order for a new M3P, after yours was totaled.

Those are the best Tsportline wheels IMO. Guess you decided to place an order for a new M3P, after yours was totaled.
I did place the order and I have a Mid September - Mid October delivery date. I still go back and forth on it because it is way too much money for as little as I drive but I just love the looks of the P3D and haven't found anything I can afford that is as fun to drive.

Reactions: Evpowerdan
I did place the order and I have a Mid September - Mid October delivery date. I still go back and forth on it because it is way too much money for as little as I drive but I just love the looks of the P3D and haven't found anything I can afford that is as fun to drive.
Yep - not a lot of option these days. Even with the rapidly rising inventory of used cars coming on the market, will the a few months to get to a saturation level.

Guess once you had a M3P, the M3LR was not as appealing. Plus, the lead time for the M3LR is longer then the M3P.

BTW - Get on a few local Tesla FB groups (should be one for "buy and sell Tesla parts" or "sell Teslas" in your area, that is a great place to post your Uberturbines wheels for sale - sell them local and avoid all the scammers. Ebay works well too, as they have protection for the buyer and seller using PayPal.

Yep - not a lot of option these days. Even with the rapidly rising inventory of used cars coming on the market, will the a few months to get to a saturation level.

Guess once you had a M3P, the M3LR was not as appealing. Plus, the lead time for the M3LR is longer then the M3P.

BTW - Get on a few local Tesla FB groups (should be one for "buy and sell Tesla parts" or "sell Teslas" in your area, that is a great place to post your Uberturbines wheels for sale - sell them local and avoid all the scammers. Ebay works well too, as they have protection for the buyer and seller using PayPal.
I was ready to pull the trigger on a used WRX hatch but my wife wasn't having it... said she didn't want to deal with a 10 year old car and me in the garage all the time modifying it (she remembers what I was like before we had kids). Plus I couldn't find a decent 2011-2014 model (the last years they made the hatchback) for less than $20k.

I test drove everything from a new WRX (ugly but pretty nice otherwise), Bolt (ugly and slow but great value), BMW i4 (awesome but too fancy and too expensive), EV6 (kind of ugly and slow but solid value), 2022 Model 3 RWD, and even a Mach-E (Nice but I'm just not a crossover guy). The model 3 just suits me. I care about performance, looks, and the stereo mostly and it checks all three boxes for me. Plus I have solar panels and a charger already so I wanted to stay EV.

The M3LR is fine, there is really nothing wrong with it at all, but by the time I drop $60k on a car I just felt like I might as well pony up the extra cash and get the fastest one. Especially since that is what I had before. Tried to find a used one but the prices are insane so I ordered new.

My wife's #1 thing is that she wants me to be happy with it and not constantly looking for something new. She says the last 2.5 years where I was loving my P3D were sublime. Who am I to argue with her wanting me to get another Performance model? I got a good settlement on the old one I am basically paying $5k (net) to get a 4 year newer car with a full warranty.

I am not on Facebook but I know a lot of people use the marketplace to sell stuff. I'll probably try on here first then go to ebay if that doesn't work. I like ebay a lot but they end up taking like 13% after their cut and fees. I may even sell the rims individually to folks that just need one or two. The way the rims stick out past the tire with the uberturbines I have no doubt that people will curb rash the hell out of them and need replacements.

Reactions: tm1v2
My wife's #1 thing is that she wants me to be happy with it and not constantly looking for something new. She says the last 2.5 years where I was loving my P3D were sublime. Who am I to argue with her wanting me to get another Performance model? I got a good settlement on the old one I am basically paying $5k (net) to get a 4 year newer car with a full warranty.

I am not on Facebook but I know a lot of people use the marketplace to sell stuff. I'll probably try on here first then go to ebay if that doesn't work. I like ebay a lot but they end up taking like 13% after their cut and fees. I may even sell the rims individually to folks that just need one or two. The way the rims stick out past the tire with the uberturbines I have no doubt that people will curb rash the hell out of them and need replacements.
Great, supportive wife you have. Consider that a HUGE bonus when buying a semi-expensive car.

Gotcha on the SUV thing, its definitely does not drive as sporty as a couple or sedan. The EV6 slow?, did you drive the dual motor? Bolt is an amazing EV for the money, but you have to want a mini suv. WRX - that is a completely different league. Mach E GT is a blast, but then again so is the price - similar to a MYP. Again, you have to want the SUV and need the utility. It's America - most people what a huge vehicle to drive solo in most of the time 😅. Thus, choices are limited of the enthusiast right now.

Only $5k more for a new M3P - that's a no brainer in my book.

I see lots of people selling Tesla wheels on FB and Ebay. Like everything, they seem to go quickly is priced right. Agree on the curb rash, as the 20x9 new Uberturbine wheels are bigger than the older version which were 20x8.5. Thus the 235/35/20 tire is stretched over the rim, with zero rim protection. A better choice is a 245/35/20 tire or 255/35/20 - adds some rim protection.

The EV6 slow?, did you drive the dual motor? Bolt is an amazing EV for the money, but you have to want a mini suv. WRX - that is a completely different league. Mach E GT is a blast, but then again so is the price - similar to a MYP. Again, you have to want the SUV and need the utility. It's America - most people what a huge vehicle to drive solo in most of the time 😅. Thus, choices are limited of the enthusiast right now.

Only $5k more for a new M3P - that's a no brainer in my book.
When I say these other cars are slow I only mean relative to what I am used to having driven the P3D for the last few years. In practical terms they are all plenty fast... The P3D spoiled me for sure. The EV6 I drove was a RWD wind model and it felt a lot like the RWD Model 3. A little slow off the line then pretty quick when moving compared to what I am used to. That GT model does look enticing performance wise but I just don't care for the styling of it. That said, the price and full tax credit do seem to make it a better value than the Tesla for sure.

I'm with you. I ordered a Performance 3 and I don't like the looks of the uberturbines either. I wish I could swap my 2020 tires with the uberturbines and THEN sell it. But that's logistically not possible :(
I keep thinking maybe they'll grow on me. Maybe? I also just put brand new $1,600 tires on my 2020 too. I really, REALLY wish I could just swap 'm.

The problem is Tesla's 18" and 19" offerings for the Model 3 don't clear the larger brake calipers on the P, unlike many aftermarket wheels.

Would be nice to be able to order a set of T-Sportline or Titan7s, have them shipped to your delivery location, and installed on your car for pickup and get a bit of credit back on the unused Uberturbines. Don't hold your breath for that.

• Love
Reactions: StephanB
Tesla's 19" wheels fit the Performance model fine, they're just offset 5-6mm inboard. Only the 18" aeros interfere with the rear calipers.

@StephanB consider buying a set of cheap OEM wheels to swap onto your old car (Carvana won't know the difference) and then sell the turbines when you get them. Note that 2021+ models use a different TPMS but your local tire shop will swap the sensors around for a reasonable price.

• Informative
Reactions: phaheem and BigNick
I bought a RWD M3 a couple of months ago, and like it so much that I think I might want moar M3 - the Performance. And it turns out with the tax credit I can actually get away with not losing anything trading in the near-new RWD.

The one concern I have is all the stories of (often multiple) blown tires and damaged 20" Uberturbines. I understand the wheels were updated in 2022(?) and got heavier. Did they get stronger, too? I've read plenty of other posts on this issue, but what I'd like to know is if problems are still continuing with the new(er) wheels?

I'll be driving in the DC area, so semi-OK roads, and likely not high mileage. Thoughts?

I bought a RWD M3 a couple of months ago, and like it so much that I think I might want moar M3 - the Performance. And it turns out with the tax credit I can actually get away with not losing anything trading in the near-new RWD.

The one concern I have is all the stories of (often multiple) blown tires and damaged 20" Uberturbines. I understand the wheels were updated in 2022(?) and got heavier. Did they get stronger, too? I've read plenty of other posts on this issue, but what I'd like to know is if problems are still continuing with the new(er) wheels?

I'll be driving in the DC area, so semi-OK roads, and likely not high mileage. Thoughts?
The 20's are definitely more prone to rim damage, curb rash, and blow outs compared to the 18s or 19s. I hit a nasty pot hole a couple of years ago on my old P3D and lost 2 tires and one 20" rim which was a costly ordeal. It is just a crap shoot honestly... for me it is not a deal breaker but for some it may be. If you are that concerned about it just sell the uberturbines and find some nice 19s that you like. Apparently people will pay good money for those ugly stock 20" ubers and most seem to come close to breaking even on the deal.

I really like the Uberturbine wheels, BUT they should have been 19s, not 20s. Don't understand the obsession of the 'riding on wheels' look; it's just stupid. There's no upside, since they even look bad to me. But it is what it is. Also not a deal-breaker to me, but that's one area where cost cutting would be very welcome. Ha ha. Hopefully Tesla is listening:).