Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you pair a Model X key fob to Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve searched but can’t find a definitive or updated answer.

I have access to a 2022 Model X key fob (the OEM one shaped like a Tesla sold directly by Tesla) and would like to pair it to my Model 3.

1. Is it possible to pair a Model X key fob to a Model 3?
  2. If so, can I do it myself or do I have to take it to a service center?

Update: just successfully paired a 2022 Model X key fob (never paired) to my 2022 M3LR. All the functions and buttons work perfectly. Did the pairing myself, literally took 20 seconds. Just followed the on-screen instructions in the “locks” tab in settings

Reactions: RISC601
I read somewhere that once a key fob is paired to a Tesla, it‘s married forever and can never be unpaired/re-paired to another Tesla

Thats not true, at least not for the current versions of the keyfob for model 3s / Ys that we buy but dont come with the vehicle. I 100% know this isnt true, because I paired my old model 3 keyfob with my new model Y, and my new model Y keyfob with both my 3 and Y.

it might be true on old S / X keyfobs for those older (like it is for other brand vehicles) though. I can just say with 100% certainty its not that way for bluetooth keyfobs that have been available for model 3s and Ys at any point... and this is the model 3 subforum, so....

Reactions: phaheem
I read about the “one and done” pairing here, another thread on TMC

Just reading the OP in that thread, they tried to use an old model X keyfob with a new model X. The new ones obviously pair like model 3/Y (bluetooth LE) vs using the wireless standard the old s/x use which is similar to just about every other car (like BMW / Audi / or any other keyfob from another car one might have had).

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc and phaheem