Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you park the X in a garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've had our X at two houses with fairly traditional garages. It worked the same in both garages - the side near the wall just opens barely enough to squeeze in, so we don't use that side when it's in the garage. The side in the center of the garage will open most of the way, but it sees the garage door tracks and stops before getting all the way open. Still, it's enough to use the door (and I can manually have it open the rest of the way).

Of course it all depends on the garage dimension and how you park, but that's been our experience.

We got one of those side mount garage door openers recently. The goal was to improve clearance to allow the FWD to open more. In practice it hasn't really changed much. The door still senses the garage door above and stops well short. Annoyingly it has plenty of room to go up, especially if the inner hinge went fully vertical (which it as enough room for). Instead the inner hinge stays at about a 45 or 60 degree angle and then the outer door extends up. A big change is if the garage door is closed. In that case the FWD opens fully. This is a problem because the garage door will then collide with it if somebody opens it by mistake. I'm going to add a pool noodle to the leading edge of the garage door one of these days just in case. But yes, you can park the X in a standard garage with only minor issues getting in and out of the rear seats.

Reactions: PassingLane
We've had our X at two houses with fairly traditional garages. It worked the same in both garages - the side near the wall just opens barely enough to squeeze in, so we don't use that side when it's in the garage.

I am following up on my own comment because I realize it may leave the wrong impression with someone that doesn't have an X and/or has a dissimilar garage.

When I say that it's very hard to get out on one side, not that's not just because it's a falcon-wing door. It would be very hard to get out of a conventional rear door too. There's just isn't a lot of space between the car and the wall in either of these garages. My wife parks the X at an angle in the garage so she can squeeze out of the driver's door (which benefits more from the angle than the rear door).

I am following up on my own comment because I realize it may leave the wrong impression with someone that doesn't have an X and/or has a dissimilar garage.

When I say that it's very hard to get out on one side, not that's not just because it's a falcon-wing door. It would be very hard to get out of a conventional rear door too. There's just isn't a lot of space between the car and the wall in either of these garages. My wife parks the X at an angle in the garage so she can squeeze out of the driver's door (which benefits more from the angle than the rear door).
Summon is what helps in the tight spot situations. The X used to have - at least I don't think it does this anymore - a feature where you parked in front of the garage, double tapped the drive stalk, and when you exited the car it would park itself by pulling forward into the garage.