Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you recommend a Navigation change / route update to the FSD team?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my 2022 model Y LR for a little over a year. I was able to become beta FSD tester shortly after that, with many software upgrades in the past year. I've had a long standing problem using navigation to or from my house. This problem happens when using navigation under FSD, under Autopilot and when not using any driver assist. The roads around my house were built over 30 years ago, so any mapping program must have all of them in their database. The problem I have is when leaving my house and simply taking a left hand turn and driving East on a straight road, navigation always wants me to make a left turn on a road that maybe 200 feet earlier. This puts me on a lower speed limit windy road for maybe a quarter mile. Then hitting a stop sign with a right turn, then in another 100 yards hitting a second stop sign for a left hand turn onto the straight road that I originally wanted to turn left on. I used Google maps on my desk top system this afternoon and it correctly tells me to make a left turn to head East on that straight road. Does anyone know how I can make a request to update the navigation used by my Tesla?

Last edited:
I've had my 2022 model Y LR for a little over a year. I was able to become beta FSD tester shortly after that, with many software upgrades in the past year. I've had a long standing problem using navigation to or from my house. This problem happens when using navigation under FSD, under Autopilot and when not using any driver assist. The roads around my house were built over 30 years ago, so any mapping program must have all of them in their database. The problem I have is when leaving my house and simply taking a left hand turn and driving East on a straight road, navigation always wants me to make a left turn on a road that maybe 200 feet earlier. This puts me on a lower speed limit windy road for maybe a quarter mile. Then hitting a stop sign with a right turn, then in another 100 yards hitting a second stop sign for a left hand turn onto the straight road that I originally wanted to turn left on. I used Google maps on my desk top system this afternoon and it correctly tells me to make a left turn to head East on that straight road. Does anyone know how I can make a request to update the navigation used by my Tesla?
You can just pick the other route, no?

I would just keep driving your preferred route and let the nav catch up with you. Eventually they will adjust to your route.

We had a situation where nav would just stop on the main road about 1/4 mile from our cabin. After months of driving there with the nav active (Tesla and/or Google) now it takes the 2 extra turns on previously unmapped back roads.

You can just pick the other route, no?
that's not the point, the nav is not taking the logically correct route. Having to re-route on the way home when being only a mile from the house makes no sense. Granted, when using FSD I would like for it to get me all the way home. Similar issue when leaving the house, I usually drive for a mile before engaging nav so I don't have to re-route or fight with it. And, FSD has has some issues on that windy road stopping behind a parked truck or passing way too close to a parked car.

that's not the point, the nav is not taking the logically correct route. Having to re-route on the way home when being only a mile from the house makes no sense. Granted, when using FSD I would like for it to get me all the way home. Similar issue when leaving the house, I usually drive for a mile before engaging nav so I don't have to re-route or fight with it. And, FSD has has some issues on that windy road stopping behind a parked truck or passing way too close to a parked car.
That is the point. It gives you 3 route options, pick the one you want. Eventually it will begin picking that one by default after it's sent back to Tesla enough.

Where did you read that the route you pick will eventually influence the default route? Seems very unlikely, since Tesla is using third-party technology to pick the route.
It was summized by Greentheonly discovery. And myself and others have tested it. I've changed 2 routes by just always picking the other. Now it never picks the original ones despite shorter actual distance.

It was summized by Greentheonly discovery. And myself and others have tested it. I've changed 2 routes by just always picking the other. Now it never picks the original ones despite shorter actual distance.
Good to know, thanks! On a related note, I've found that when using FSD Beta, sometimes you'll pick one of the alternate routes but FSD Beta reverts back to the default one. Have others seen that?

Good to know, thanks! On a related note, I've found that when using FSD Beta, sometimes you'll pick one of the alternate routes but FSD Beta reverts back to the default one. Have others seen that?
I've noticed that if you pick an alternate route, then disengage for any reason, it will revert back to the primary route when you re-engage. Of course, it uses your current position to do so.

That is the point. It gives you 3 route options, pick the one you want. Eventually it will begin picking that one by default after it's sent back to Tesla enough.
Thank you, but when I engage navigation and say for example "navigate me to home" none of the route options will keep me on the correct and straight road home, as can be seen in the attached. Hence, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a way to submit a request to correct this issue. Additional. I recall my last uber driver encountered this same issue. So it has to be an issue with whatever service is being used under the covers.

Attachments

• IMG_5869.JPG
    IMG_5869.JPG
    578.7 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Just to be clear my issue is not limited to using navigation routing with FSD. I'm having a problem when using navigation routing in any driving mode. Maybe I'm off base, but I submitted a request to Mapbox detailing my issue. I was told that Mapbox in the product that Tesla uses to determine routing.