Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you refuse new car after delivery for ANY reason?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Tesla delivers new car to you and you see color,seats,lights or any other problem can you simply tell them you will not accept that car until problems are fixed?
I don't want to accept my car with problems (even small ones) and then deal with SC for weeks/months
Is it possible or you have to accept car as is?

I suppose you have a number of options, reject the car and wait for another VIN, accept the car and take it back to a service center to have any issues noted fixed or if you really don't like what's delivered. Vote with your wallet and buy another car in the segment. I don't believe you have to buy the car, you can get your deposit refunded I believe or if it's the $100 deposit that's non refundable.

I posted this on another thread...

my advice:
- do not submit payment in account.
- inspect the car first. do not sign even they say sign first and you can inspect later.
- ask them to fix anything you don't like *first* even if they say you can bring it back anytime or can call for mobile service
- they did not let me test drive it before delivery, but you can try to ask.
- only when you are happy then you can hand over your personal check and sign
- personal check is OK. No need cashier's check even though they obviously prefer the latter.
- personal check will be processed as soon as the next business day, so make sure you have money in the bank to avoid bouncing the check
- be prepared to walk away without the car if you are not happy with it

Good luck!!

I posted this on another thread...

my advice:
- do not submit payment in account.
- inspect the car first. do not sign even they say sign first and you can inspect later.
- ask them to fix anything you don't like *first* even if they say you can bring it back anytime or can call for mobile service
- they did not let me test drive it before delivery, but you can try to ask.
- only when you are happy then you can hand over your personal check and sign
- personal check is OK. No need cashier's check even though they obviously prefer the latter.
- personal check will be processed as soon as the next business day, so make sure you have money in the bank to avoid bouncing the check
- be prepared to walk away without the car if you are not happy with it

Good luck!!

So if I decide to finance one part of total price how it works ? You are saying "do not submit payment in account" ?

If Tesla delivers new car to you and you see color,seats,lights or any other problem can you simply tell them you will not accept that car until problems are fixed?
I don't want to accept my car with problems (even small ones) and then deal with SC for weeks/months
Is it possible or you have to accept car as is?

Im not quite sure I am understanding what you are asking...

Yes, it is possible to REJECT delivery of the car assigned to you for any reason, when you go to pick it up.
Yes, it is possible to take delivery of the car, and then return it during the 7 day period.

NO, you will not be able to tell tesla "I am not taking THAT CAR" until you fix it, once you fix it THEN I will take THAT CAR". Unless something has changed with tesla (possible) it doesnt work that way. You reject the car, its rejected... not assigned to you until they fix it.

Its rejected and they assign it to someone else and see if they will take it, and YOU go back "into the queue" waiting for a car.

You are not going to be able to reject a car and tell them "im not taking that one until you fix it" to try to put pressure on them to "fix it fast".... which it sounds like what you are wanting to do (i may be reading what you are asking incorrectly however).

Tesla does not have time for this. Inspect your car. If acceptable take delivery. If it has an issue, they will note it on a due bill, and you can have it addressed at a service center.

If you inspect hard enough, you can find a flaw in most any car. Tesla are of production quality. They are not perfect. Even when not perfect they are still great cars.

Because some buyers are so picky, they have instituted a policy that if you reject a car, you cannot order another identical car right away.

If you reject too many cars, you will not be able to order over and over again.

Forums like these have customers terrified that their car will have defects.

I've read one story on this forum that someone rejected the car, the manager fixed the issues the next day and then delivered the fixed car (which was then accepted).

Of course Tesla also has the option to simply assign the rejected car to someone else rather than fixing the issues.

If Tesla Service is like Lexus service, sure, take delivery first then fix later. But given the quality of Tesla Service... why deal with Service on your own when you can let them fix it first? Remember, when you take delivery of the car, the problems of the car are yours.

I've read one story on this forum that someone rejected the car, the manager fixed the issues the next day and then delivered the fixed car (which was then accepted).

Of course Tesla also has the option to simply assign the rejected car to someone else rather than fixing the issues.

If Tesla Service is like Lexus service, sure, take delivery first then fix later. But given the quality of Tesla Service... why deal with Service on your own when you can let them fix it first? Remember, when you take delivery of the car, the problems of the car are yours.

They absolutely will not be doing this in december, in the US. If one actually rejects the car, you will go back in the queue for another car "later". a person will NOT be "rejecting the car for them to fix it, and then taking it later". What MIGHT happen, is if the issues are minor, I could see someone accepting the car with a due bill, the local delivery center being able to fix whatever issue it is, and the customer picking it up in the next couple days.

Difference is, the car would not be REJECTED, it would be "accepted, to be fixed, with the manager expediting the fix if it can be done at his delivery center. No one should expect to be able to actually reject (not sign for, not accept) a tesla at delivery and say in effect " fix it and I will come back and take it then", without actually signing for the car and accepting it.