Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you remove paint armor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cab

Sep 5, 2013
Grapevine, TX
So, I am considering a CPO car and while paint armor is not the most common option out there, it is on several cars. If I had my druthers I would get one without it, but when you start looking for a car with a certain set of options you are limited in what you can get sometimes. Anyway, my question is "If I end up with a car with paint armor, what will the paint look like if I have it removed? More explicitly, will the "protected" paint look "different" than the unprotected paint given that some of these cars are 2-3 years old now?"

Obviously, I know the armor can be removed, but will it be "obvious"...especially on the hood (i.e. "oh yeah, look how awesome your paint looks on the first third and a slightly different look on the back two thirds"). I would NOT be looking to get it re-wrapped with a competing product. I do assume the paint would have to go through a multi-step polish (which I can do myself) afterwards...

Thanks!

If it has the factory paint armour that was once an option, it will have the big dirty line down the centre of the hood. If it has full wrapped paint armour from a third party installer, then it won't. Yes, the paint may look different as the paint armour protects the paint. How different it looks depends a lot on what colour the paint is. Also the paint under the armour will not be chipped or oxidized, so you'll have to spend some money to get the rest of the paint put back in new condition.

I'm actually wondering why you wouldn't want the paint armour (assuming full coverage armour). It's saved my paint numerous times, and after three years, I still get the occasional trophy at car shows.