Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you request a supercharger site in your neighborhood if you own several Tesla cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In super curious what your current setup is in terms of parking and charging for your fleet.
As of right now I just park two cars in the garage and two in the driveway. I don't even have charging set up yet in the garage but I don't mind charging the cars 24/7 with the regular outlet for now and if I have to I top it off at the supercharger.

If I end up getting 6 more cars I would be ok with just getting by with two chargers in my garage. I don't need a supercharger close by to me but it would be nice. I know Tesla doesn't own me anything.

Reactions: Big Earl
50 kW DCFC costs ~$80k

150 kW DCFC costs ~$160k

350 kW DCFC costs ~$200k

The above include the cost needed for the the DCFC to be up and running/keep running.

Now, I am giving Tesla volume discount for equipment, but over half the cost is something other equipment and those don't get volume discount.

So suppose that each stall is $125k, which is insanely cheap, 4 stall Supercharger is already half a million dollars.
You don't even need to guess. There are real hard numbers above.

The latest Western Canada Tesla projects were government funded (50% total costs) and the funding is public information. This includes all equipment costs - utility transformer installation, excavation, conduit installation, concrete work, 480V autotransformer installation, disconnect/breaker cabinet installation, Supercharger cabinet installation, Supercharger stall installation, bollards, signage, re-paving, and commissioning - the whole project.

They built 3 sites each with an 8 stall Supercharger plus "bonus" third party 50 kW DC fast charger (required for the funding) for $794,459 CAD total funding (this is the public 50% funding number). The average 100% cost for one site is this divided by 3 times 2 or $529,639 CAD average for an 8 stall Supercharger PLUS the bonus third party DC charger. In US dollars this is currently $421,982 USD. So less than what you estimated for a 4 stall Supercharger. And given that the 50 kW DC fast charger, 480V autotransformer, and installation for said charging station by itself is about $100K CAD ($80K USD) that would put the 8 Stall Supercharger including all other equipment and installation costs at roughly $382K USD.

The 3 sites on this project are Cache Creek, Quesnel, and Williams Lake.

There was another government project with Tesla, but that project didn't have consistently sized sites, and had more third party charging stations per site so isn't as easily isolated like this project.

You don't even need to guess. There are real hard numbers above.

The latest Western Canada Tesla projects were government funded (50% total costs) and the funding is public information. This includes all equipment costs - utility transformer installation, excavation, conduit installation, concrete work, 480V autotransformer installation, disconnect/breaker cabinet installation, Supercharger cabinet installation, Supercharger stall installation, bollards, signage, re-paving, and commissioning - the whole project.

They built 3 sites each with an 8 stall Supercharger plus "bonus" third party 50 kW DC fast charger (required for the funding) for $794,459 CAD total funding (this is the public 50% funding number). The average 100% cost for one site is this divided by 3 times 2 or $529,639 CAD average for an 8 stall Supercharger PLUS the bonus third party DC charger. In US dollars this is currently $421,982 USD. So less than what you estimated for a 4 stall Supercharger. And given that the 50 kW DC fast charger, 480V autotransformer, and installation for said charging station by itself is about $100K CAD ($80K USD) that would put the 8 Stall Supercharger including all other equipment and installation costs at roughly $382K USD.

The 3 sites on this project are Cache Creek, Quesnel, and Williams Lake.

There was another government project with Tesla, but that project didn't have consistently sized sites, and had more third party charging stations per site so isn't as easily isolated like this project.

The program pays up to 50% of the project cost, but it doesn't mean that it actually did pay 50% of the cost.

If the program did actually pay 50% of the cost, the cost would come out to 47k USD per charger.

Anyone who knows the price of installing DCFCs would tell you that that price is impossible.

Excluding the cost of the equipment, the cost of everything else is more than that.

Last edited:
As of right now I just park two cars in the garage and two in the driveway. I don't even have charging set up yet in the garage but I don't mind charging the cars 24/7 with the regular outlet for now and if I have to I top it off at the supercharger.

If I end up getting 6 more cars I would be ok with just getting by with two chargers in my garage. I don't need a supercharger close by to me but it would be nice. I know Tesla doesn't own me anything.

If you're looking at expanding your fleet, I highly recommend looking into power sharing with Tesla Wall Connectors. Two charging stations inside the garage plus two more outside the garage, all sharing whatever spare capacity you have, should get the job done nicely.

120 volt charging through winter is going to be rough, and fast Supercharging requires a warm battery, which might be hard to do depending on the situation. The whole idea is to minimize the amount of time you need to spend managing your vehicles, while providing maximum convenience for your renters by offering a fully-charged car with the option to return it less-than-full with no penalty.

Just my $0.02 having rented numerous Teslas on Turo over the years. Best of luck with your big fleet. I think it's awesome that you're doing this, as I personally have a really hard time handing my car(s) over to strangers.

Here's costing from the Canadian Superchargers on BC Hwy 97 which had 3 sites, each with 8 Superchargers+1 more expensive non-Tesla DC Fast charger which worked out to under $47K USD per stall.
NRCan paid half the cost of this installation, and that grant is public information.

"27 Electric vehicle chargers ($794,459 funding for 24 Superchargers with 8 each on 3 sites + 3 Flo Addenergie SmartDC Fast charging stations with one for each of the 3 sites), $29424 CAD per stall funding, $58849 CAD full cost per stall if funding was 50%. This is $46964 USD per stall."

Post in thread 'Western Canada Superchargers' Western Canada Superchargers
More explicitly pointing out, that reported cost is also inflated by the fact that the eligibility requirements for the NRCan grants forced Tesla to include the universal Flo DCFC instead of the location being entirely superchargers. Their costs per stall for the Flo units are going to be significantly higher than the same for superchargers. It also would have increased their engineering costs for site design purposes. So, these had the effect of raising the overall grant funding per stall above what it normally would cost Tesla for similar locations with just superchargers.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
More explicitly pointing out, that reported cost is also inflated by the fact that the eligibility requirements for the NRCan grants forced Tesla to include the universal Flo DCFC instead of the location being entirely superchargers. Their costs per stall for the Flo units are going to be significantly higher than the same for superchargers. It also would have increased their engineering costs for site design purposes. So, these had the effect of raising the overall grant funding per stall above what it normally would cost Tesla for similar locations with just superchargers.
Here's the thing:

The claim is that a Tesla DCFC station costs 1/4 of what an equivalent non-Tesla DCFC station does.

That just doesn't pass the smell test.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Here's the thing:

The claim is that a Tesla DCFC station costs 1/4 of what an equivalent non-Tesla DCFC station costs.

That just doesn't pass the smell test.
It does, actually, because of Tesla's V3 supercharger architecture where the single V3 supercharger cabinet that contains all the rectifiers and all the supercharger smarts serves 4 stalls, each of which have a cheap, low tech dispenser. And Tesla makes/assembles the high value equipment in-house and at large volumes compared to other charging system makers, so they benefit by not needing to pay for middleman profit on those items and by economies of scale. They also end up with real economies of scale savings for things that aren't produced in-house and external support contracts, e.g. site design engineering.

It does, actually, because of Tesla's V3 supercharger architecture where the single V3 supercharger cabinet that contains all the rectifiers and all the supercharger smarts serves 4 stalls, each of which have a cheap, low tech dispenser. And Tesla makes/assembles the high value equipment in-house and at large volumes compared to other charging system makers, so they benefit by not needing to pay for middleman profit on those items and by economies of scale. They also end up with real economies of scale savings for things that aren't produced in-house and external support contracts, e.g. site design engineering.
That's how most (all?) high power DCFC stations are setup (not just Tesla's).

The expensive equipment is hidden in the cabinets somewhere.

What people are charging from are just the terminals.

Last edited:
I don't know who told you that because it is not true at all.

Even a Supercharger with 4 stalls costs over half a million dollars.
Wow, I didn't intend to start a flame war over the cost of Superchargers! I was simply trying to make the point that these are extremely expensive endeavors and not something Tesla is going to plop down somewhere because someone is expanding his Tesla fleet from 4 cars to 8. Call it $250K or $500K or $1M if you want. I'm sure there are other threads that cover the cost of Supercharger sites. I apologize for not doing adequate research before quoting a number--my intent was simply to state that it's damn expensive. ;)

Reactions: KJD

you could get away with 2-3 chargers off the 200a home panel. no sense in paying for a SC.

Several years ago a group of Tesla owners paid for Tesla putting in a site in Marathon, FL. It’s at the airport. TElla might do it again.

I see no mention of that funding arrangement in the Marathon Supercharger thread. Can you provide some more info?