Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you retrofit LED headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am guessing this is the million dollar question which no-one knows the answer to at the moment.

But sure enough - the answer will eventually filter down to us plebs, and when it does, perhaps someone would be good enough to post the answer here.

In the meantime - comments are welcome...

I'll get the ball rolling. Comment:

I am guessing they will NOT be retrofittable because the new bonnet change has resulted in a shape change to the headlight fitting. So you can't just plug it in :-(

On the other hand - Ludicrous mode WAS/IS sort of retrofittable...

Personally, I think Tesla will start to steer away from retrofits of anything. I think Ludicrous upgrade was probably a mistake on their part.

People will have to start getting used to the idea of the car as "consumer good", where new features are released all the time and you'll have to be happy with what you've got. Although I admit I'll be on the "let me retrofit that" camp if they release new sensors for AP!

Why do you do a car refresh? To sell more cars.
Retrofitting the refresh will only sell parts, not cars. Existing owners would be considered a market, especially when many have owned for more than 3 years.
So very unlikely.....but this is tesla so traditional thinking isnt followed.

Do led headlights use less power? If so, for those who travel distances regularly and at night they might be a proposition. Frankly, I don't, and I am happy enough with my current headlights. Maybe ignorance is bliss, but I have no experience with LEDs so don't know any better.

If you read the thread on modifying Model S headlights, LED headlights are generally inferior to good HID, although as ours are de-rated here that may or may not be the case. I'd want to actually see their performance first in any case. It looks like there's plenty of improvement in the existing lights.

Given our current headlights are de-rated, I would presume that the new headlights would have to be too - for the same reason.

They are derated because of the heat issue, too much dirt over the light cover will overheat the light. Do less run as hot?

They are derated due to the lumen output (and the associated glare), not heat. They need to be under 2000 lumens.
There's a requirement in most countries around the world for self levelling and washers on lights with greater than 2000 lumen low beams (except obviously US and CA).

• Informative
Reactions: LGGD
Do led headlights use less power? If so, for those who travel distances regularly and at night they might be a proposition. Frankly, I don't, and I am happy enough with my current headlights. Maybe ignorance is bliss, but I have no experience with LEDs so don't know any better.
Yes, they use less power.
I think the quality of light they produce is still inferior to HID, but they are not QUITE there yet (and this from a founding member of CPF).
That's why I'm keen for a trial and group buy of higher-power bulbs for us current Model S owners....

As it stands today, we can't replace the bulbs in the current headlights afaik. Next higher assembly, per a local SvC manager, at $1,000 each, and it would be like for like - no LED if none with which to start.

Unless one follows the lead of the thread referenced above and replaces that assembly with headlights from a third party. Didn't see a price yet, though.