TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Can you retrofit LED headlights?

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by ZTrekus, Apr 12, 2016.

1. ZTrekus

ZTrekus Member

I am guessing this is the million dollar question which no-one knows the answer to at the moment.

But sure enough - the answer will eventually filter down to us plebs, and when it does, perhaps someone would be good enough to post the answer here.

In the meantime - comments are welcome...

I'll get the ball rolling. Comment:

I am guessing they will NOT be retrofittable because the new bonnet change has resulted in a shape change to the headlight fitting. So you can't just plug it in :-(

On the other hand - Ludicrous mode WAS/IS sort of retrofittable...

2. timpoo

timpoo Member

Personally, I think Tesla will start to steer away from retrofits of anything. I think Ludicrous upgrade was probably a mistake on their part.

People will have to start getting used to the idea of the car as "consumer good", where new features are released all the time and you'll have to be happy with what you've got. Although I admit I'll be on the "let me retrofit that" camp if they release new sensors for AP!

3. lennier

lennier Member

Pictures of delivered cars with the old lights and new nose show that the lights are physically interchangeable, but I expect the wiring harness would be different to support at least the premium adaptive versions. The standard led lights might be a plug-in replacement.

4. paulp

paulp Member

Why do you do a car refresh? To sell more cars.
    Retrofitting the refresh will only sell parts, not cars. Existing owners would be considered a market, especially when many have owned for more than 3 years.
    So very unlikely.....but this is tesla so traditional thinking isnt followed.

5. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

If you read the thread on modifying Model S headlights, LED headlights are generally inferior to good HID, although as ours are de-rated here that may or may not be the case. I'd want to actually see their performance first in any case. It looks like there's plenty of improvement in the existing lights.

• Love x 1
  6. Astroboy747

Astroboy747 Member

I saw Bjorn Nyland upload a video on the Model X headlights and the output looks amazing. Much much better than the Model S (he also claims this too). Probably would be comparable to BMW Adaptive LEDs.

7. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Do led headlights use less power? If so, for those who travel distances regularly and at night they might be a proposition. Frankly, I don't, and I am happy enough with my current headlights. Maybe ignorance is bliss, but I have no experience with LEDs so don't know any better.

8. LGGD

LGGD Active Member

Given our current headlights are de-rated, I would presume that the new headlights would have to be too - for the same reason.

9. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

They are derated because of the heat issue, too much dirt over the light cover will overheat the light. Do less run as hot?

10. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

I thought they were derated because there are no headlight washers, and there is a perceived risk of increased glare if they are dirty and bright??

11. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

In that case every other car with efficient and bright headlights would be de-rated as well, how about cars with laser headlights?

12. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

Yes, j think the same rules apply. They need washers.

13. cashie

cashie Member

They are derated due to the lumen output (and the associated glare), not heat. They need to be under 2000 lumens.
    There's a requirement in most countries around the world for self levelling and washers on lights with greater than 2000 lumen low beams (except obviously US and CA).

• Informative x 1
  14. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

So lED lights and lasts will all be de-rated in Australia unless Tesla decide to fit washers

15. ZTrekus

ZTrekus Member

Who is game enough to just order a pair of new LED headlights as a spare part, and rip out their existing headlights to see if the wiring and fit are compatible?

Dborn?

16. lennier

lennier Member

Unless the cosmetic appearance really appeals it seems like there would be little point. The light output would be legislated to be no better and only the standard (non-adaptive) ones would work without specific wiring loom support. Expensive cosmetics :)

17. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

We'd be better off upgrading our HID setup

18. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

I agree. They need a bit more oomph. LED per se is only a small step up.
    The high-end Audi/ MB lights are really fabulous- there'll be something similar for Tesla soon. Meanwhile, a drop-in bulb upgrade would be best.
    The headlight thread in the main TMC forum is a good read for lighting envy...

19. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

Yes, they use less power.
    I think the quality of light they produce is still inferior to HID, but they are not QUITE there yet (and this from a founding member of CPF).
    That's why I'm keen for a trial and group buy of higher-power bulbs for us current Model S owners....

20. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

As it stands today, we can't replace the bulbs in the current headlights afaik. Next higher assembly, per a local SvC manager, at $1,000 each, and it would be like for like - no LED if none with which to start.

Unless one follows the lead of the thread referenced above and replaces that assembly with headlights from a third party. Didn't see a price yet, though.