Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you retrofit LED headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HID stands for High Intensity Discharge, and it describes the 'globes' used to create the light. The globes, the reflector, the cutoff shield and the projector are the functional components of the headlight. The best place to read about it is somewhere like here, and then read the other thread running now on updating the HID projectors

As it stands today, we can't replace the bulbs in the current headlights afaik. Next higher assembly, per a local SvC manager, at $1,000 each, and it would be like for like - no LED if none with which to start.

Unless one follows the lead of the thread referenced above and replaces that assembly with headlights from a third party. Didn't see a price yet, though.
Really? Why not just use US-spec bulbs? I'd be surprised if they're non-standard...

The argument for continuing retrofits would be the goal of Tesla is to change how we drive. It takes a lot less energy to upgrade existing hardware and software than to build a whole new car. Particularly on lower volume higher end cars. There will always be need to buy new in case of an accident, someone switch to Tesla and they can continue to make money long after the car is sold by offering paid hardware upgrades. I would pay for new bumpers and headlights on my existing Model S. They have stated model year numbers are just for tax purposes and they make changes and roll them out as they are ready. I hope I am right about this and Tesla does everything differently than old car manufacturers.

OK. Failed to read through the whole thread. Ztrekus, let us know how easy it is to fit those and of course, the results! Given we have no grille, not sure where the cooling air supply is going to come from. You might like to look around in there while fitting them. My experience with LEDs around the house is that the drivers tend to fail, not the LED itself.

OK. Failed to read through the whole thread. Ztrekus, let us know how easy it is to fit those and of course, the results! Given we have no grille, not sure where the cooling air supply is going to come from. You might like to look around in there while fitting them. My experience with LEDs around the house is that the drivers tend to fail, not the LED itself.

Hi Dborn,

My research tells me the access to the headlamp is...get this...through the wheel arch!!

Some have taken the wheel off and have worked under the car with a jack holding it up. That to me is sticking your head inside the mouth of a lion. No thank you!

Others say you put the air suspension on highest, you turn the wheel all the way towards the headlight you are working on, and you stick the car in jack mode (dunno why). Apparently you can then gain access to around 15 long and short and multiply different bolts and screws to remove a small panel, then you bend towards the wheel an even lighter panel under that (which is bendable) and you can then snake your hand around to gain access to the Gromit behind the headlamp. After removing that, you can unplug the existing crappy headlamp and plug in the hopefully magically wonderful LED. But I believe you have to make a small incision in the Gromit first to stick the bigger LED through (with fan and wiring on the back) then work out a place in the wheel arch to mount the LED housing. At least there is room back there.

Then if all goes well, we only have to worry about overzealous cops concerned about the amount of lumens the car is throwing out above the Aust design rules. But it will be cooler (no literally whiter and brighter) and if you were excited about those really small rear LEDs for the number plate...well then you just ain't seen nothin' yet!

Now I know Dborn that you have no complaints about the headlights because, as you say, you have nothing to compare them with. But I came from an LED Prius background, and that was sooo nice, that once you experience it, you just cannot go back. Why it's like comparing a Lemon with a Watermelon - and man am I thirsty!!

(Just thought of this argument so I have edited it on. When I bought the Tesla, I was immediately remorseful that the headlamps were so crappy. The Prius was such a pleasure to drive at night because of it. Toyota made a big deal that they were auto levelling, but actually that feature was a pure gimmick. Besides the Tesla air suspension is also self levelling so as far as headlights go, we have the same feature anyway. But the point is that - Tesla itself - has recognised this deficiency which is why obviously that they have now brought out LED headlights as an optional ex$tra. Was that the tail wagging the dog? Anyway IF a cheap and nasty solution is just a matter of changing two bulbs for less than a hundred bucks then I am definitely in... Now if only my hopes will not be dashed at the end of it... I don't think I could handle that...)

Last edited:
Hi Dborn,

My research tells me the access to the headlamp is...get this...through the wheel arch!!

Some have taken the wheel off and have worked under the car with a jack holding it up. That to me is sticking your head inside the mouth of a lion. No thank you!

Others say you put the air suspension on highest, you turn the wheel all the way towards the headlight you are working on, and you stick the car in jack mode (dunno why). Apparently you can then gain access to around 15 long and short and multiply different bolts and screws to remove a small panel, then you bend towards the wheel an even lighter panel under that (which is bendable) and you can then snake your hand around to gain access to the Gromit behind the headlamp. After removing that, you can unplug the existing crappy headlamp and plug in the hopefully magically wonderful LED. But I believe you have to make a small incision in the Gromit first to stick the bigger LED through (with fan and wiring on the back) then work out a place in the wheel arch to mount the LED housing. At least there is room back there.

Then if all goes well, we only have to worry about overzealous cops concerned about the amount of lumens the car is throwing out above the Aust design rules. But it will be cooler (no literally whiter and brighter) and if you were excited about those really small rear LEDs for the number plate...well then you just ain't seen nothin' yet!

Now I know Dborn that you have no complaints about the headlights because, as you say, you have nothing to compare them with. But I came from an LED Prius background, and that was sooo nice, that once you experience it, you just cannot go back. Why it's like comparing a Lemon with a Watermelon - and man am I thirsty!!

(Just thought of this argument so I have edited it on. When I bought the Tesla, I was immediately remorseful that the headlamps were so crappy. The Prius was such a pleasure to drive at night because of it. Toyota made a big deal that they were auto levelling, but actually that feature was a pure gimmick. Besides the Tesla air suspension is also self levelling so as far as headlights go, we have the same feature anyway. But the point is that - Tesla itself - has recognised this deficiency which is why obviously that they have now brought out LED headlights as an optional ex$tra. Was that the tail wagging the dog? Anyway IF a cheap and nasty solution is just a matter of changing two bulbs for less than a hundred bucks then I am definitely in... Now if only my hopes will not be dashed at the end of it... I don't think I could handle that...)
Dont forget the suspension can adjust itself whenever it feels the urge, so jack mode and a block of wood under the car to avoid being crushed.

This is now what the webpage says about the new LED lights:

-------------

Adaptive Lighting
Model S now features full LED adaptive headlamps. Besides enhancing the already great styling, they also boost safety: 14 three-position LED dynamic turning lights improve visibility at night, especially on winding roads.

------------

Not quite sure what they mean by 'turning lights'. Are they different to the cornering lights that we have? Are our cornering lights LED and have they now been incorporated into the headlamp fitting? Do they have a series of LEDs that turn on and off depending on how you turn the wheel?

Still waiting for my ebay LED lamps to arrive from China...

Bjorn has a video of the Model X lights which will be the same I assume. They basically have several stages of progressively side-aimed led lights within the headlight that come on as you turn the wheel in that direction. So basically a more sophisticated version of the old cornering lights and built in to the headlamp assembly.

I would also doubt that these are retrofitable since they'd almost certainly need wiring loom support that doesn't exist on the older cars.

Bjorn has a video of the Model X lights which will be the same I assume. They basically have several stages of progressively side-aimed led lights within the headlight that come on as you turn the wheel in that direction. So basically a more sophisticated version of the old cornering lights and built in to the headlamp assembly.

I would also doubt that these are retrofitable since they'd almost certainly need wiring loom support that doesn't exist on the older cars.
They would also need that version of the software.