Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you run a PC from Tesla 12v with an inverter?

Yev000

May 3, 2019
Knaphill
Got an idea to run my desktop PC while camping. Does anyone think it is possible to run it using an 500+W inverter from the 12v plug? Or is there a better way of doing it?

Yev000

May 3, 2019
Knaphill
I hate camping too, but I put my foot down and refuse to go.

Not about camping.

My room is ~ 4x4 meters and ceiling is ~ 2.1 meters. And It's too low and too small to really go all out in VR. I need something like 3 meter ceiling and 7x7 space... So football field somewhere would be ideal :D

Mr H

Jan 6, 2020
Manchester
for that kind of consumption you need to connect directly to the 12v battery, there is a connection under the rear seat

Mr H

Jan 6, 2020
Manchester
Dont you mean the high voltage battery? The 12v lead acid will probably die pretty quick.
the 12v connection that feeds the 12v battery from the main pack is accessible under the rear seat, the 12v battery will be constantly topped up as it's needed

tkizzy

Jun 8, 2015
Napa, CA
I tried to run a cobra irad 200 from a 2015 model S that worked fine in other vehicles and the voltage seems to sag and it made a slowing down sound from high frequency to low freq and turns off after a few minutes. Haven’t tried in a couple years, dunno if that behavior could be fixed via software update....

paulk

Jan 26, 2019
hartford, ct
Got an idea to run my desktop PC while camping. Does anyone think it is possible to run it using an 500+W inverter from the 12v plug? Or is there a better way of doing it?

i think the 12v plug is tied to a 15A fuse, so i wouldn't use more than 150 watts. if you want to attach a 500 watt inverter it should be attached directly to the battery with a fused connection, likely more work than you want to do.

Yev000

May 3, 2019
Knaphill
i think the 12v plug is tied to a 15A fuse, so i wouldn't use more than 150 watts. if you want to attach a 500 watt inverter it should be attached directly to the battery with a fused connection, likely more work than you want to do.

Seems that way. Shame really. I guess I need a cybertruck with the connection in the bed.

davidmc

May 20, 2019
Leicester
No a laptop will be easy. I want to see if my gaming PC would run VR in a field somewhere....

So I need 5 plugs. 2 for base stations and 2 for pc, monitor and headset. Should 600-700w maybe? Maybe less.

12v plugs if lucky can give 180w

They don't have high amps 9-15amps if lucky. Model 3 i believe is around 12amps with around 16 peak out of the 12v socket.

Also your PC - what is the power supply rating? 600w? or higher?

The GPU will use most of the power is such as a Nvidia 3070 will consume around the 220w mark, especially in VR

Plagued

Apr 9, 2019
Uk
I had a similar thought, but not to try and get a full gaming rig up. I've got the tow bar option on mine, which in theory has a 12v outlet designed to power a caravan when traveling, so run a fridge etc. While it's still no way going to allow 600W as even without finding any actual "fuse" ratings from Tesla the standard hook up wiring is only AWG13 and it's unlikely that they'd over engineer this. But I was wondering if I could power the caravan from the car while it's parked up, and therefore run the fridge, lighting, charge phones .. and maybe an oculus quest ;) also all external so no wires hanging out of windows and plugs designed to protect from rain.
While the car can't tow the caravan as it's over 1ton and also the range would suck, maybe it could power it...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC