Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you run a PC from Tesla 12v with an inverter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's no way you're going to power a 400-800W gaming computer off your 12V battery for any length of time. This WILL destroy your battery and possibly even damage the 12V charging system in the car. It cannot replenish anywhere near this amount of power in order to prevent draining the 12V battery beyond salvage. And you're wanting to power a monitor and sound on top of the computer? Forget it now before it's too late.

I had a similar thought, but not to try and get a full gaming rig up. I've got the tow bar option on mine, which in theory has a 12v outlet designed to power a caravan when traveling, so run a fridge etc. While it's still no way going to allow 600W as even without finding any actual "fuse" ratings from Tesla the standard hook up wiring is only AWG13 and it's unlikely that they'd over engineer this. But I was wondering if I could power the caravan from the car while it's parked up, and therefore run the fridge, lighting, charge phones .. and maybe an oculus quest ;) also all external so no wires hanging out of windows and plugs designed to protect from rain.
While the car can't tow the caravan as it's over 1ton and also the range would suck, maybe it could power it...

The M3 might have a Euro-13-pin trailer/caravan socket fitted to it but it does not comply with anything like the full standard pin allocation.
The only pins wired are for the driving lights on pins 1 to 8.
There is no permanent DC output for fridges, leisure batteries or anything
There is no "ignition controlled 12v" DC output either.
Tesla specify not compatible with powered trailer braking.

Prepare to be disappointed on that endeavour :(

Reactions: Plagued