Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you set Tail lights always on? After rear ended too many times

Olle

Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
After having been rear ended twice and side reared once in a short period of time I am making it a habit to always turn on the lights to keep tail lights on. Anyone have an idea about if there is a way to keep them on by default?

Olle

Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
I’ve always wondered why daylight running lights don’t include rear lights.
Most cars don't include rear in drl. Perhaps because of complacency in the industry - along the lines of "what is the cheapest light setup we can legally sell?"
Perhaps stemming from the days before LED lights when always-on bulbs would cause more complaints and tickets for broken taillights? Although Tesla isn't known for following convention and being complacent. Perhaps it was just a range optimization for the first Model S gone overboard. Turn off the tail lights and the car will go 1 foot longer per charge - the same reason the did away with door pockets so people wouldn't sandbag the first Model Ss with unnecessary junk

BrettS

Mar 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
Honestly, given that the tail lights and the brake lights are the same I wonder if always on tail lights would be less safe and make it less likely that someone would notice your brake lights come on when you were actually stopping.

And frankly, it seems likely that the times you would get rear ended would be the times when you had the brakes on anyway, so always on tail lights wouldn’t make a difference then either.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: shthpnz and Olle

mongo

May 3, 2017
Michigan
Most cars don't include rear in drl. Perhaps because of complacency in the industry - along the lines of "what is the cheapest light setup we can legally sell?"
Perhaps stemming from the days before LED lights when always-on bulbs would cause more complaints and tickets for broken taillights? Although Tesla isn't known for following convention and being complacent. Perhaps it was just a range optimization for the first Model S gone overboard. Turn off the tail lights and the car will go 1 foot longer per charge - the same reason the did away with door pockets so people wouldn't sandbag the first Model Ss with unnecessary junk

DRL helps prevent pulling in front of /turning in front of someone coming toward you (high speed closure event) whereas tail lights help you avoid running into the back of someone else (low speed closure event).

• Informative
Reactions: rabar10

Olle

Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
Honestly, given that the tail lights and the brake lights are the same I wonder if always on tail lights would be less safe and make it less likely that someone would notice your brake lights come on when you were actually stopping.

And frankly, it seems likely that the times you would get rear ended would be the times when you had the brakes on anyway, so always on tail lights wouldn’t make a difference then either.
When I was side rear ended I was not braking.
Stop lights and tail lights are not the same: Automotive lighting - Wikipedia

BrettS

Mar 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
Stop lights and tail lights are not the same

I understand that they are not the same things, but in many cars they use the same physical lights at different intensities. I’m just suggesting that if the light is already on then it may be less noticeable when it gets more intense when you hit the brakes than if it was to come on from being fully off.

In any case, you’re welcome to do what you want, and I can certainly understand why you want to be more visible after getting rear ended three times, but personally I’m not sure I see much benefit here.

Olle

Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
I understand that they are not the same things, but in many cars they use the same physical lights at different intensities. I’m just suggesting that if the light is already on then it may be less noticeable when it gets more intense when you hit the brakes than if it was to come on from being fully off.

Maybe you are correct. I just saw an article saying that tail lights cause even more accidents: Do rear daytime running lights cause accidents?

BrettS

Mar 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
Maybe you are correct. I just saw an article saying that tail lights cause even more accidents: Do rear daytime running lights cause accidents?

Actually, I think that article was saying just the opposite. It started with a question from the reader asking if having tail lights on will desensitize drivers to brake lights, but the response to the question was “No, they do not and it is safer to have them on”

• Informative
Reactions: Olle

outdoors

Always roaming
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2014
in the moment
Look into brake light blink modules. This solution to your rearend attraction problem :D. Also might not remove the contrast between braking and not braking. That contrast helps people know you start to brake. I see them on cars every now and then when braking. They blink two or three times very rapidly on the onset of braking then go solid. Almost strobe like. They really grab my attention. Not to be confused with a hazard blink which is much greater in length between blinks.

I may have answered that all wrong, but that I think might solve the bigger issue.

mongo

May 3, 2017
Michigan
Look into brake light blink modules. This solution to your rearend attraction problem :D. Also might not remove the contrast between braking and not braking. That contrast helps people know you start to brake. I see them on cars every now and then when braking. They blink two or three times very rapidly on the onset of braking then go solid. Almost strobe like. They really grab my attention. Not to be confused with a hazard blink which is much greater in length between blinks.

I may have answered that all wrong, but that I think might solve the bigger issue.

Oh please no! I was once behind a car that did that on the highway. Just thinking about it is almost enough to give me a headache.

Reactions: TexLaw

Olle

Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
What would be a neat idea is to put in a rear facing radar and if a car comes up too fast or too close light up the brake lights
Yes, and at the same time triggering a 150 dB rear facing megaphone saying "you are too close!" and cell phone app saying "stop texting, hit the brakes"

Last edited:

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC