Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you set Tail lights always on? After rear ended too many times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is, to me, amazing. It sounds like you live where people routinely whang into stopped cars.

I learned to drive defensively, and it included watching in the rearview mirror, never doing hard or surprise braking, leaving plenty of distance between the car ahead, pulling over if anyone wants to tailgate. I and my wife both have noticed that "drivers" are getting worse, and often I have to dodge someone turning directly in front of me as they nearly pass by that special winery they were looking for. I watch the people behind as I gently come to a stop, making sure they are aware, and I am prepared to duck for cover if they are not. In my lifetime, I don't remember anyone hitting my car from the rear. Only once was I hit when parked. If I'm in the car, they're gonna have to catch me first.

This is, to me, amazing. It sounds like you live where people routinely whang into stopped cars.

I learned to drive defensively, and it included watching in the rearview mirror, never doing hard or surprise braking, leaving plenty of distance between the car ahead, pulling over if anyone wants to tailgate. I and my wife both have noticed that "drivers" are getting worse, and often I have to dodge someone turning directly in front of me as they nearly pass by that special winery they were looking for. I watch the people behind as I gently come to a stop, making sure they are aware, and I am prepared to duck for cover if they are not. In my lifetime, I don't remember anyone hitting my car from the rear. Only once was I hit when parked. If I'm in the car, they're gonna have to catch me first.
I drive very defensively too and keep my distance. Have never been even close to rear ending anyone else. Combination of bad luck and the area, I guess. The biggest problem here in FL is you don't need insurance (i.e you shall have, but not enforced) to drive and there is no annual smoke check. This enables a lot of deranged drivers and cars who wouldn't afford to be on the road in a normal state. Bald tires, no brake fluid, mud tires on the highway in the middle of summer, no lights, you name it. You can also see in the accident stats that FL is up there among the highest accident/mile

I don’t find tail lights as visible during the day. And sometimes (esp older car) I have a hard time telling if it is tail light or brake light.

Wondering if there is some history behind it.

Why accidents did you have? Perhaps a more defensive driving style?

Edit - ahhh. Florida

• Funny
Reactions: Olle
DRL helps prevent pulling in front of /turning in front of someone coming toward you (high speed closure event) whereas tail lights help you avoid running into the back of someone else (low speed closure event).

I am very hard pressed to believe that rear running lights would help prevent "rear-enders" and concur with @roblab "s assessment. I, for one, do not want any other lights on other than the front facing DRLs in the daytime. If I think I need them before the car does (on Auto), I'll turn them on myself. The car will also automatically turn on the full lighting system if the wipers are in use.

Tesla could possibly have a basket of features to avoid rear endings or reduce their damage.

If the car senses a car coming up too fast, via auto pilot or parking sensors, the car could.

-Flash the brakes lights in some noticeable pattern.

-Honk the horn

-Put the car in Nuetral if there is room in front, perhaps even drive forward.

I am very hard pressed to believe that rear running lights would help prevent "rear-enders" and concur with @roblab "s assessment. I, for one, do not want any other lights on other than the front facing DRLs in the daytime. If I think I need them before the car does (on Auto), I'll turn them on myself. The car will also automatically turn on the full lighting system if the wipers are in use.

My comment was directed toward why there are DRL in the front, but not rear. As you stated rear not as useful under normal conditions. Dark/ fog calls for full or fog lights.

-Put the car in Nuetral if there is room in front, perhaps even drive forward.

Neutral is a bad idea, better for car to take the brunt of the impact by moving as little as possible than to suddenly accelerate the passengers (potentially into a rapid deceleration when they hit the car in front, or the car hits the brakes to avoid the 2nd collision.).

Reactions: brkaus
Jokes aside, has anybody done this? If so, how?
No, but I get two long red reflector stickers and put them on the chrome on each side of the embossed Tesla across the trunk hatch. It is removable, doesn't mess up paint or chrome and provides a little more reflectivity to be noticed... that's why work trucks do reflective sticker tape as well... I use this on long trips where being seen might be a little harder.