TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Can you spot your Model X?

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by MrBoylan, Nov 4, 2015.

1. MrBoylan

MrBoylan Member

Mine is still rolled up in aluminum. Mark Z's is already past this and into the paint shop. But maybe you can spot yours?

Tesla_Model_X_assembly_line.jpg

2. Ames

Ames Member

Wow, the first thing that came to my mind is that they are making cable cars...

3. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Back in the early days of the S, there was some hope that Tesla may setup a unique way, through My Tesla, to see exactly where your car is at in the production process - including pictures of your actual car! - but, that didn't pan out. Tesla has had bigger fish to fry, I suppose.

Hopefully, one day, once the 3 is in full bore production...

4. RichardL

RichardL Member

Problem is, if it were possible, someone (probably here) would have a site monitoring the line and projecting quarterly deliveries accordingly.

Every time they stop the line for a short break, the stock would plunge :biggrin:

5. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Being able to watch one's car being built would be a huge wow! factor, especially for "mainstream" Model 3 purchasers who are unaccustomed to ordering a custom car and waiting for it to be built. I hope they manage to make "watch your car being built" part of the Model 3 purchase process.

6. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Mentioned this in another thread, but I only count 6 X's in this picture. How many Founders' were delivered at the reveal? ;-)

7. 1208

1208 Active Member

You can't spot yours. The robots have to spot weld it. They are more accurate.:smile:

8. aija SigX 649

aija SigX 649 Winged Lion

There appear to be more suspended in the upper right corner ..if I'm not mistaken. Trying to stay optimistic and take Elon for his word that they plan to produce 100/wk in December assuming no additional currently-unforeseen issues.

9. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

These body frames seem awfully close to each other. I fail to understand why they should be so close since it takes some time at each robotic station to perform their work. It's hard to tell if there is any difference in completion with any of these bodies. This line of questioning leads me to believe that it was simply a staged photo opportunity rather than an actual snapshot of the production line in action.

Can someone with real experience with production lines comment? I have close to zero experience in this area.

10. DrGuest

DrGuest Member

I think the photo was taken with a telephoto lens which will always compress the depth of field of an image.

11. Thumper

Thumper Member

Telephoto lens compresses the distance is my guess. They aren't really that close together.

12. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

#12 scottf200, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Cool related video: How the Tesla Model S is Made | Tesla Motors Part 1 (WIRED) - YouTube

13. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

thanks guys. Telephoto lens distortion and also seeing some of the Model-S production line seems to explain it for me. I was also surprised to see the cars so close during production in the video that scottf200 posted.

14. DavidB

DavidB Aug 2013 S85

Already answered, but yes, the photo is taken with a telephoto lens, with the photographer standing on an industrial catwalk. There are several feet separating each car.

15. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

I'm kidding of course and am optimistic right along with you. Although, he did say "several" hundred per week in December! ;-)

16. aija SigX 649

aija SigX 649 Winged Lion

good catch - should be 100s/wk. I believe the goal to build and/or deliver ALL Sigs by year end is less likely but still achievable.