Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you still buy $15,000 FSD after initially trying subscription model ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - in the market for Tesla S Plaid --- if i choose to not buy the $15,000 FSD right away with initial new car purchase and just try the subscription model for 1-3 months, can i then buy FSD for $15,000 if i wanted to ?

or is one time $15,000 payment only allowed with initial car purchase.

Curious if anyone can confirm this - if you order order the car with FSD, does the $15k get included in the price of the vehicle on which (at least in California) sales tax and DMV registration fees are based on? If so it would seem to me that's one more reason not to order FSD with the car.
Might count towards the federal credit price threshold too. My recommendation to anyone considering FSD would be - don't buy it with the car, subscribe for a month instead. If you still feel like it's worth $15k, buy it. Better to pay $15,200 for it knowing what you're buying than to pay $15k for it and regret it.

Upvote 0
Might count towards the federal credit price threshold too. My recommendation to anyone considering FSD would be - don't buy it with the car, subscribe for a month instead. If you still feel like it's worth $15k, buy it. Better to pay $15,200 for it knowing what you're buying than to pay $15k for it and regret it.

I paid for 1 month of the subscription in December to try out beta, and I still feel a little sick to my stomach when I think how I threw $200 down the drain. I can't imagine how I would feel if I had paid $15K.

Upvote 0
My 2017 Model S 100 D has a trade-in value with Tesla of $31-34k with FSD. So you can tell from that how much Tesla thinks its $15k FSD software is worth at trade in (i.e. zilch).

Subscribe vs. buy FSD: It takes 6 1/4 years at $199/month to reach $15k.

Note that, should your car be totaled in an accident, you will not recoup $15k for FSD towards a replacement from insurance. All in all, buying it does not look like a smart move.

So, in summary, only if you keep your car for well over 6 years—and it is not totaled in an accident—will you come out ahead.

Upvote 0
My 2017 Model S 100 D has a trade-in value with Tesla of $31-34k with FSD. So you can tell from that how much Tesla thinks its $15k FSD software is worth at trade in (i.e. zilch).
The dealer trade-in application that @ElectricIAC has occasionally posted screenshots of values it at a whopping $750, which sounds pretty accurate to me.

Such a joke.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Upvote 1
So you can tell from that how much Tesla thinks its $15k FSD software is worth at trade in (i.e. zilch).

Makes sense to me though... you didn't buy the software, you bought a license to use the software. It's pure profit for Tesla, why would they pay you $15k to buy it back? It's a $15k flipped bit, or a license key.

So, in summary, only if you keep your car for well over 6 years—and it is not totaled in an accident—will you come out ahead.

And even then, you'll still have paid a lot of money for software that can't do what was promised. My opinion is that it takes LiDAR *and* a remote human driver for edge cases to be able to let the car drive you around.

Upvote 0
Makes sense to me though... you didn't buy the software, you bought a license to use the software.
FSD is not actually treated legally as a software license. It is considered part of the car, which is why is is "lost" when the car is totaled, or transferred to a new owner if the car is sold.

If it was treated as a software license, then it could be transferred to a new car when that car is replaced, in the same way that a software license can be tranferred to a new computer when your computer breaks.

Therefore, as much as I support Tesla (and intended to when I bought FSD), I can't see myself ever buying FSD again when I buy a new Tesla unless their FSD purchase model changes.

Upvote 0
In my previous Model S, I bought the FSD when it was only $3k and it took forever to get the “beta” before it released to the public. I regret that purchase and wish I had just subscribed instead.

Is there a difference in versions for the paid FSD vs subscription-based FSD?

Upvote 0
In my previous Model S, I bought the FSD when it was only $3k and it took forever to get the “beta” before it released to the public. I regret that purchase and wish I had just subscribed instead.

Is there a difference in versions for the paid FSD vs subscription-based FSD?

I paid 5k total for my FSD and I overpaid and only now am I starting to see something for my money but really if anything just buy EAP, it’s pretty solid and you’ll avoid the glitchy FSD. Who knows, they may offer a discount to “upgrade” to FSD in the future.

Upvote 0