Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you still cancel/refund your reservation if you accepted the trade-in offer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

trus

'22 Model S Plaid
Dec 9, 2021
Seattle
Hello,

I am on the fence with my Model X reservation, and I got a very good trade-in offer with my current Tesla. I am curious that if I accept the trade-in offer, can I still cancel my reservation if, in the end, I do not want the Model X anymore? My offer expires soon a month before delivery, so I was wondering.

Thank you!

Of course you can. In fact, you can accept the trade offer and then decide not to trade it in.

Acceptance only guarantees that Tesla will pay you their stated amount during the time for which is valid. Usually validity is less than the build time. So it often expires before taking delivery and you’ll need a new quote generated and a new acceptance. The new Trade-in often goes down, though lately a few have said it’s gone up in the current economy.

Reactions: trus
Of course you can. In fact, you can accept the trade offer and then decide not to trade it in.

Acceptance only guarantees that Tesla will pay you their stated amount during the time for which is valid. Usually validity is less than the build time. So it often expires before taking delivery and you’ll need a new quote generated and a new acceptance. The new Trade-in often goes down, though lately a few have said it’s gone up in the current economy.
What if I want to cancel the trade-in itself?

No problem. Even if you accept it now, you don’t *have* to use it when you pickup your vehicle. Just tell your service advisor you changed your mind. The acceptance is just to establish a time bound agreed upon price so that, if you are still within that timeframe, there are no surprises at pick up.

• Informative
Reactions: Silence88 and n0ah
Hello,

I am on the fence with my Model X reservation, and I got a very good trade-in offer with my current Tesla. I am curious that if I accept the trade-in offer, can I still cancel my reservation if, in the end, I do not want the Model X anymore? My offer expires soon a month before delivery, so I was wondering.

Thank you!
Would you consider selling your reservation for the Model X?
What are the specs on the vehicle?
Delivery Date?

I'm not 100% sold on their trade in process...it's unconventional and inconvenient to say the least. The day I placed my order I filled all of that info out along with the delivery location, payment and registration information. They emailed me the next day and asked for payoff amount, per diem and the good thru date. I promptly responded and haven't heard anything since then and that was a week ago. They didn't even ask about the mileage or for photos.

The website just says "your trade in evaluation is being reviewed". If they won't take the car right now and their quotes are only good for 30 days then it's a stupid process to go through anyway seeing how my EDD is 5/4 - 6/1. I've also heard that until everything has a check mark on the to-do list it will hold the process up from moving forward. The trade in is my only incomplete list item so I am thinking about removing it and maybe revisit that section closer to delivery time.

Last edited: