Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you stop climate control from heating??

FloridaSun

Apr 19, 2021
Lakeland, Florida
I was wondering if there is a way to disable heating when using AUTO climate.. Let's say that I set my auto climate to 70 degrees and after a while, we feel that 70 is too cold and we set the temperature to 74 degrees with outside temperatures in the 90's. Now, instead of just stopping to cool, it appears that Climate Control actually engages the heater to bring the temperature up to 74 and then switches back to outside air and then to cooling.. I don't see a reason why the system will try to heat the cabin if outside temps are in the 90's.. This is a waste of energy..

Reactions: mcsenerd

FloridaSun

Apr 19, 2021
Lakeland, Florida
Not with the Climate Control set to Auto but maybe with the Climate Control set to AC.
that really sucks.. On most cars you can switch between auto cool and auto heat.. I wish that I could disable cabin heat somehow. I'm in Florida and never use the heater.. I don't want it to come on.. Hope that there will be a software update one day to choose heat auto/cool auto/or just AUTO.. That's what I have on my home AC.. I can set it to just auto cool or auto heat or auto cool/heat.

Last edited:
Reactions: rjpjnk

mcsenerd

Jun 14, 2021
DFW
I was wondering if there is a way to disable heating when using AUTO climate.. Let's say that I set my auto climate to 70 degrees and after a while, we feel that 70 is too cold and we set the temperature to 74 degrees with outside temperatures in the 90's. Now, instead of just stopping to cool, it appears that Climate Control actually engages the heater to bring the temperature up to 74 and then switches back to outside air and then to cooling.. I don't see a reason why the system will try to heat the cabin if outside temps are in the 90's.. This is a waste of energy..
I feel you bud… I have the same consternation. Whenever my purseboss got cold on our first long trip, she moved the temp up and I was sort of taken aback by the system not simply turning off the AC, but blasting the heater. It’s pretty ridiculous behavior in summer weather.

Last edited:

Big Earl

bnkwupt
Supporting Member
Jul 12, 2017
Springfield, VA
My initial thought is that the energy used to bring it from 70-74° is minuscule when it’s 90° out. It might heat for a minute or two. If you don’t like the behavior, you can raise the temperature more gradually instead of 4° in one step.

jcanoe

Oct 2, 2020
Maryland
Consider that in summer there is a large reservoir of coolant in the battery pack that is warmer than 70-74° that can used to warm the cabin. In summer there is no need to first use the motor stators to warm up the coolant.

FloridaSun

Apr 19, 2021
Lakeland, Florida
Consider that in summer there is a large reservoir of coolant in the battery pack that is warmer than 70-74° that can used to warm the cabin. In summer there is no need to first use the motor stators to warm up the coolant.
It's not only about the energy wasted but also about the comfort factor.. I hate it when hot air comes through the vents in the middle of summer, even if it's only for a minute...

Reactions: rjpjnk and mcsenerd

TomServo

Apr 10, 2014
Belleville IL
Am confused, so your saying the HEAT or AC is always ON and I just can’t run the FAN and pull in outside air? I have been turning OFF the AC button thinking it shut down the Heat Pump.

rjpjnk

Mar 12, 2021
NJ
I think what he (and I) are saying is that in “cooling mode” we don’t ever want the heat to come on. We’d like the vents to provide either chilled air or unchilled air, but never heated air as it does currently sometimes. Problem is, there doesn’t seem to be a cooling mode or heating mode. It can always do both at any time.

as for the AC button, that’s a tough one. I don’t think anyone knows what it does exactly. In older cars, this button controlled the compressor and life was simple, but in the Model Y there is only one compressor and it is used for both cooling and heating. So when we turn off the AC button does it prevent the compressor from running? I.e., no heat either unless the battery or drive unit have some to spare? I don’t know yet.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC