Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you stop climate control from heating??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering if there is a way to disable heating when using AUTO climate.. Let's say that I set my auto climate to 70 degrees and after a while, we feel that 70 is too cold and we set the temperature to 74 degrees with outside temperatures in the 90's. Now, instead of just stopping to cool, it appears that Climate Control actually engages the heater to bring the temperature up to 74 and then switches back to outside air and then to cooling.. I don't see a reason why the system will try to heat the cabin if outside temps are in the 90's.. This is a waste of energy..

Reactions: mcsenerd
Not with the Climate Control set to Auto but maybe with the Climate Control set to AC.
that really sucks.. On most cars you can switch between auto cool and auto heat.. I wish that I could disable cabin heat somehow. I'm in Florida and never use the heater.. I don't want it to come on.. Hope that there will be a software update one day to choose heat auto/cool auto/or just AUTO.. That's what I have on my home AC.. I can set it to just auto cool or auto heat or auto cool/heat.

Last edited:
Reactions: rjpjnk
I was wondering if there is a way to disable heating when using AUTO climate.. Let's say that I set my auto climate to 70 degrees and after a while, we feel that 70 is too cold and we set the temperature to 74 degrees with outside temperatures in the 90's. Now, instead of just stopping to cool, it appears that Climate Control actually engages the heater to bring the temperature up to 74 and then switches back to outside air and then to cooling.. I don't see a reason why the system will try to heat the cabin if outside temps are in the 90's.. This is a waste of energy..
I feel you bud… I have the same consternation. Whenever my purseboss got cold on our first long trip, she moved the temp up and I was sort of taken aback by the system not simply turning off the AC, but blasting the heater. It’s pretty ridiculous behavior in summer weather.

Last edited:
My initial thought is that the energy used to bring it from 70-74° is minuscule when it’s 90° out. It might heat for a minute or two. If you don’t like the behavior, you can raise the temperature more gradually instead of 4° in one step.

Consider that in summer there is a large reservoir of coolant in the battery pack that is warmer than 70-74° that can used to warm the cabin. In summer there is no need to first use the motor stators to warm up the coolant.

Consider that in summer there is a large reservoir of coolant in the battery pack that is warmer than 70-74° that can used to warm the cabin. In summer there is no need to first use the motor stators to warm up the coolant.
It's not only about the energy wasted but also about the comfort factor.. I hate it when hot air comes through the vents in the middle of summer, even if it's only for a minute...

Reactions: rjpjnk and mcsenerd
I think what he (and I) are saying is that in “cooling mode” we don’t ever want the heat to come on. We’d like the vents to provide either chilled air or unchilled air, but never heated air as it does currently sometimes. Problem is, there doesn’t seem to be a cooling mode or heating mode. It can always do both at any time.

as for the AC button, that’s a tough one. I don’t think anyone knows what it does exactly. In older cars, this button controlled the compressor and life was simple, but in the Model Y there is only one compressor and it is used for both cooling and heating. So when we turn off the AC button does it prevent the compressor from running? I.e., no heat either unless the battery or drive unit have some to spare? I don’t know yet.

Can anyone who wants a heater toggle and low power mode please reply to this thread: