Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you swap TPMS into new wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jedi2155

Model 3 has Arrived.
Jul 6, 2018
Upland, CA
Thinking of buying a set of 18" TSportlines wheels, and a used set of 18" aeros from someone and swapping all of it over at a local tire shop. Would there be any issues in moving the old TPMS from the original aero's or do you have to buy new ones?

The TPMS modules can be reused, yes. However, you are not supposed move the valve stems from one wheel to another -- the TPMS washer and rubber seal are designed to compress and seal only once. When the tire shop moves the modules to the other wheel, they'll use a "TPMS rebuild kit", which re-uses the module but installs a new valve stem, washer, seal, and valve core.

Alternatively, if you want to purchase new modules (which will come with all the valve stem components) you can purchase a set of the Autel universal modules and I can program them for you. See the post in the For Sale forum:

For Sale: Programming Service for Autel TPMS Sensors - $25

The Autel modules are significantly less expensive than the modules that Tesla sells. They work perfectly, I have a set on my Model 3.

This would give you two sets of modules, and you can then use both sets of wheels if you want (for example a summer set + a winter set, or a handling/track set + an efficiency set). This might be good for your P3D+, as the stock 20" wheels are summer/handling tires, not the best choice for colder temperatures or long road trips.

• Informative
Reactions: Jedi2155