Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you take a loaner out of state?

What would you do?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone...long time lurker. First time poster.

Long story short. My MS had a paint defect at delivery. I could take delivery and fix later or wait 3 months for a body shop to open up. (Denver just had a huge hail storm) I took delivery. Called a few months later to get it in the shop. They dropped off a loaner and took mine to a body shop. It's been there since Sept 13th. All they needed to do was respray the lift gate and bumper. They didn't have to do anything else.

Now...here's my issue. I have to drive to Chicago (from Colorado) for a wedding this coming Tuesday. My plan was to take my Tesla. (Never thought it would take a month for paint. Tesla told me two weeks MAX) According to the body shop my car will be ready "early next week" which is what they told me last week.

I let the SC know I wouldn't be able to return the loaner car until I returned from my trip, in case they finished it while I was gone. He told me not to take the car out of state. He said if I get pulled over I risk getting into trouble with out of state dealer plates. I told them that's a huge problem because last minute plane tickets are $1800 r/t. He offered me a Hertz rental car. Screw having to pay for gas.

What would you do?
- Screw it...Take the loaner
- Take the Hertz rental
- Go "steal" my car from the body shop

Thanks
John

It's nice that they offered a rental, and that they informed you of potential issues with out of state dealer plates.

But my vote is a reflection of who I am. Where I follow the rules when they make sense, and when they don't make sense then a little bending is okay.

You could just say it's an extended test drive, and that you're testing the road tripping capabilities of "worrisome" electric cars. Make sure to emphasize concerns regarding range, efficiency, charging, accuracy of "gas" gauge.

From a quick google search.

"The laws on dealer plates vary significantly state-to-state. But in general, most states only allow dealer license plates to be used by an owner, officer, employee of the dealership, or by a customer that is test driving the car, according to the Automobile Dealer Training Association."

People have to use loaners for months sometimes. Not sure how they can restrict usage to one state, especially where you are close to a border, as we are here in NoVa or people in NY tristate, etc. I’d just have a good story like above in case someone has an illogical question. :D

Not being able to take a loaner out of state doesn't sound right. In the mid-Atlantic states a 45 minute drive from Chester, PA will take you through NJ and DE to Elkton, MD. Many people drive between and through these states every day between home and work. I'd be very surprised if you're not allowed to do that in a loaner.

May be different because the loaners in CT have New Jersey plates and only one that I’ve had carried Cali manufacture plates so the car is already out of state.

I’d take the loaner - don’t forget your toll pass if required for where you are going.

They told you their policy. They will know internally if you take the Tesla out of state.

Up to them to address the violation of policy. Up to you to live with the consequences.

Think you need to take the rental. Sometimes they ask you to keep reciepts for fuel purchased and will reimburse you.

The loaners are limited to 85 MPH and the autopilot on the highway was limited to 80 MPH. Made the trip a little longer, but I found the charge times reduced by reducing speed. I my employ this tactic now that I know about it. My charging times were only 20 minutes verses the 35 minutes I have to do in my P85+ I think it was a combination of the reduced highway speed and the larger battery charging much faster than my old 85.... I would definitely upgrade from an 85 to a 100 just for the faster charging time.

I know someone who took a road trip loaner Tesla from Denver to Chicago suburbs - nearly identical to what you are doing, except it wasn't even a loaner. This was a pre-purchase test drive, he asked if he could make the trip to visit family and they said yes. Dealer plates. Test drives sell cars, and long test drives kill range anxiety. They're OK with it, it's already been done. Take the loaner.

Hey everyone...long time lurker. First time poster.

Long story short. My MS had a paint defect at delivery. I could take delivery and fix later or wait 3 months for a body shop to open up. (Denver just had a huge hail storm) I took delivery. Called a few months later to get it in the shop. They dropped off a loaner and took mine to a body shop. It's been there since Sept 13th. All they needed to do was respray the lift gate and bumper. They didn't have to do anything else.

Now...here's my issue. I have to drive to Chicago (from Colorado) for a wedding this coming Tuesday. My plan was to take my Tesla. (Never thought it would take a month for paint. Tesla told me two weeks MAX) According to the body shop my car will be ready "early next week" which is what they told me last week.

I let the SC know I wouldn't be able to return the loaner car until I returned from my trip, in case they finished it while I was gone. He told me not to take the car out of state. He said if I get pulled over I risk getting into trouble with out of state dealer plates. I told them that's a huge problem because last minute plane tickets are $1800 r/t. He offered me a Hertz rental car. Screw having to pay for gas.

What would you do?
- Screw it...Take the loaner
- Take the Hertz rental
- Go "steal" my car from the body shop

Thanks
John

My Tesla Service Center takes gas receipts and gives me money for them :p

Reactions: vrykolas
I had a loaner for two months. Drove from Texas to Florida and back. Told Tesla at the time of pickup and they didn't seem bothered in the least. At pickup in Texas, the loaner has California mfg plates. Drove the car 4000 miles in all with almost a 1000kwh of free supercharging.

This was around spring break this year.

Reactions: JPUConn
Having explained the situation to them (which you did) I'd ask for my car back. They failed to complete the service in the promised time, so you have every right to take your car back, and then ask them to inform you when they are actually ready to paint it, so you can take it back in and get the loaner again. It's not "stealing" (though I'm sure you said that tongue-in-cheek) when you demand your own car back after they have failed to comply with their promise.

Or you could check on the laws in the state(s) you will be driving through. Chances are you would not be stopped, but why risk a ticket, or worse, for something that was not your fault? If you will be driving where it would not be permitted, take your own car. If it is permitted, take the loaner.

I just got my S back after 8 weeks of driving (out of state!) a Model X P100DL loaner. I put 3000+ miles on the loaner. I didn't want to, but I could not get my S back for eight weeks even though they only worked on it for like 2 days and it sat outdoors for eight weeks.

Here's the details on the saga, if you wanna know more: What's the record for longest service/loaner period?

• Informative
Reactions: JPUConn
The poll went almost completely one-sided there, huh? Haha. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

UPDATE: I called the body shop today. The car is out of paint and is being re-assembled. It will be done today but they're still waiting on the badging for the lift-gate. (Tesla delayed part). The body shop called Tesla and told them I was going to pick up the car from the shop and leave the loaner there. Tesla refused. They want the car back to do an "inspection" and have me sign papers before I can get it back. I doubt they'll accept the car from the body shop without the badging anyways. So I'm probably out a car for another week or two.

Screw it! I'm taking the loaner. What's the worst that can happen? LOL.

Over a month in the shop because the liftgate closed itself into the bumper and scratched it? I'm going to loathe the day when it has to go in for real work. Now I know what you guys/gals mean by "Now you know the dark side of owning a Tesla"

The loaners are limited to 85 MPH and the autopilot on the highway was limited to 80 MPH. Made the trip a little longer, but I found the charge times reduced by reducing speed. I my employ this tactic now that I know about it. My charging times were only 20 minutes verses the 35 minutes I have to do in my P85+ I think it was a combination of the reduced highway speed and the larger battery charging much faster than my old 85.... I would definitely upgrade from an 85 to a 100 just for the faster charging time.

Most of that was likely related to the bigger battery with a chemistry that has had supercharging optimized more over time. The taper on the 85 hasn't been touched or optimized in a while, yet the 90 and 100s sometimes get updates to speed up charging. I highly doubt your speed had much to do with such a huge drop in time :)

The poll went almost completely one-sided there, huh? Haha. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

UPDATE: I called the body shop today. The car is out of paint and is being re-assembled. It will be done today but they're still waiting on the badging for the lift-gate. (Tesla delayed part). The body shop called Tesla and told them I was going to pick up the car from the shop and leave the loaner there. Tesla refused. They want the car back to do an "inspection" and have me sign papers before I can get it back. I doubt they'll accept the car from the body shop without the badging anyways. So I'm probably out a car for another week or two.

Screw it! I'm taking the loaner. What's the worst that can happen? LOL.

Over a month in the shop because the liftgate closed itself into the bumper and scratched it? I'm going to loathe the day when it has to go in for real work. Now I know what you guys/gals mean by "Now you know the dark side of owning a Tesla"

I took a P100DL on a 1300 mile test drive across 3 states and never once even got pulled over. You aren't the owner of the vehicle, so you should be able to drive it out of state without any concern, even with the dealer plates. It's a "test drive" of that car, to you ;)

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Sounds like the “right” thing to do is to take the rental. But I understand not wanting to pay gas or drive an ICE.

Maybe you can meet them halfway and ask if they’d be willing to get a Tesla rental for the trip OR reimburse you for gas?

You can risk it and take the car out of state but that’s your decision based on your risk tolerance.