Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you take a Tesla to Havasupi falls or should I rent a ICE car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was lucky to get hiking permits for Havasupi falls in April, however after looking at charging options I don't think it is possible to take my Tesla from San Diego. One option is renting a car for 3-4 days in Laughlin or Bullhead city.

Has anyone been there? Is there at least a 110v outlet anywhere near the parking area? With a trickle charge over three days it would be enough to make it back to Kingman SC.

I took the Tesla to the Grand Canyon 3 years ago and it was a mistake as traveling with 3 adults and an infant it added about 4 hours to our trip and didn't make for a happy wife. After charging in Kingman we had enough charge to barely make it to the canyon however had to stop at hotel and use destination charger for 2 hours to make it to Flagstaff which was another hour out of the way.

Reactions: blake99111
Congrats!! I've been to Havasupai 4 times, and you're going to love it.

I haven't been since I bought my M3, but the hilltop parking lot is very sparse. They have electricity for the lights in the lot, but not sure if there's an outlet available. And if there is an outlet, don't think that it'll be convenient to park next to for your mobile charger. If only Tesla made a portable solar charger haha. Or it would be nice if you could manually power down your car to minimize the drain while parked.

To access a remote location like this, I would strongly recommend renting an ICE vehicle. It's the worth the peace of mind that you'll have enough fuel to make it back after parking at the hilltop.

Reactions: tmoz
Time to upgrade to that S100D!

I don't really see much that will help you on Plugshare. Just some NEMA 14-50s at campgrounds, the best option being near Peach Springs. Doesn't sound like your wife will tolerate an hour or two there each way so your best option might be calling the tribe and seeing what is offered at or near the trailhead. If it is anything like their Grand Canyon West operation, they will happily grant you L1 charging for a small fee of $499.99.

• Informative
Reactions: ArizonaP85
Time to upgrade to that S100D!

I don't really see much that will help you on Plugshare. Just some NEMA 14-50s at campgrounds, the best option being near Peach Springs. Doesn't sound like your wife will tolerate an hour or two there each way so your best option might be calling the tribe and seeing what is offered at or near the trailhead. If it is anything like their Grand Canyon West operation, they will happily grant you L1 charging for a small fee of $499.99.
Oops. Looks like Grand Canyon West is Hualapai, not Havasupai. Different tribes! Needless to say I was not a fan of the Grand Canyon West tourist trap!

Reactions: NeverFollow
Thanks, that’s what I was afraid of. I wish I could get a small solar panel to get 4-5mph during the day what would take car of needs.

Not going to upgrade anytime soon, car is now paid off and this one depreciated way more then I was expecting. If I do it would be for a used x, which has less range than I currently have. Plus California screws us on trade in sales tax in addition to pretty much everything else.

• Informative
Reactions: PLUS EV
has anyone ever stayed at the Hualapai Lodge? I just spoke with someone there, I might be able to charge at a 110 outlet there. The manager is checking to see what type of outlet they have. Keeping my fingers crossed. Seems like a perfect place for a tesla destination charger for anyone seeing that portion of the grand canyon or the skywalk.

Not going to find anything at the Supai parking lot..

There is a KOA in Seligman & Kingman

I'd rent a car. I wouldn't want a nice car sitting up at Havasu Hilltop.

Last I was there - no cellular - it was a long time back, but I would assume that hasn't changed much??? Not sure if that would make the vampire drain better (cannot do anything) or worse (looking for a signal constantly).

I wish I could get a small solar panel to get 4-5mph during the day what would take car of needs.
Can you elaborate a little bit about this option?
- What size of panel would you need.
- Would you install the panel on the roof of the car when parked or next to the car and inclined to best fit the sun.
- What kind of converter to use to be able to generate voltage compatible with a Tesla plug or J1772 EV Plug?

Not going to find anything at the Supai parking lot..

There is a KOA in Seligman & Kingman

I'd rent a car. I wouldn't want a nice car sitting up at Havasu Hilltop.

Last I was there - no cellular - it was a long time back, but I would assume that hasn't changed much??? Not sure if that would make the vampire drain better (cannot do anything) or worse (looking for a signal constantly).
The above says it all. Especially about parking a nice car at the Hilltop.

This is the time that renting an ice really makes sense.

Enjoy the falls. They are worth it.

Reactions: tmoz and blake99111
FYI, we made it with no problem. In fact there were 2 other model 3's in the parking lot of the Havasupai Trailhead... so we weren't alone.

In my Model 3 LR RWD... We left Kingman supercharger with 308 rated miles. Got to the trail head with 180. The drive there is mostly uphill so we went 45 and bested the rated range. Did the hike and came back after 3 days with 153 rated miles on the screen.... so 27 miles lost, 9 miles a day. I had the power off, security/sentry off, cabin overheat off (it was freezing at night anyway). The vampire drain is no joke in the cold. But that was plenty to make it the 120 miles back to Kingman without worrying about speed or heating limits. There is an out at the Grand Canyons Cavern campground if you happen to not have enough to make it back to Kingman.... bring 14-50 adaptor. There are other options at the store in Hackberry and Mechanic in Truxton... see Plugshare.com for those.

Epic journey... highly recommended if you've never been.

• Helpful
Reactions: Saghost