TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Can you take a X to a regular car wash?

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by jboy210, Jul 27, 2018.

1. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

I have heard that you cannot take your X to a "regular" car wash where you give them the keys and they run it through. I heard the spoiler will catch and the car cannot be pushed along with no one in the car. Is this correct?

2. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Sure u can take it ...but why would u :eek::eek:...those things mess up your paint ...use optimum no rinse ...simplest way to clean car ;)

• Like x 5
  3. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Be sure to put it into tow mode.... so it will stay in neutral and be happy with no one in the car.

Yeah, I'd not do it. Touchless drive-through yourself, at a last resort.

• Informative x 1
  4. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

Being honest, I don't like washing and cleaning cars. I liked it when I was young, but after working as mechanic for a number of years as teenager and college student I have had my fill of cleaning cars, even my own. Second, I don't like the idea of washing at home and dumping cleaners into the nearby streams and bays. And commercial washes recycle their water. Third, it's a leased car that will replace in 3 years.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Ok than place in tow mode ...fold mirrors and go for it !;););)...also post your vin so we can avoid your car in future :p:oops:

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 2
  6. d21mike

d21mike Member

My Model S experience. My local car wash is a "hand wash" at the start of the path but then has the auto rinse and some spray polish options. But none of the large wipers. However, instead of tow mode they have a guy who rides thru in the drivers seat.

• Informative x 1
  7. PA ZU

PA ZU Member

Yeah, I'm stunned by how many "hand wash" only guys (and gals) are on the Tesla sites. Then I realize they all live in Cali!!! I would be curious to hear from those living in the northeast or midwest on using Mr Magic-type places (i.e., you sit in car, put it in neutral, and let the machines do the rest).

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  8. SpudLime

SpudLime Member

Wait! what the? What is this magic rinse you say? I just looked this product up. Is this legit? The reviews are through the roof. Im lazy and have resorted to the car washes, but I will give this stuff a try. Man you find out the coolest things on this forum.

• Love x 1
  9. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Ok I admit yes in CA easier to wash ..using ONR since uses very little/if any water I can actually wash in my garage ...for east coast I would think it’s non issue as the road salt probably does more damage to paint than the auto wash will :(:(:eek:

10. PA ZU

PA ZU Member

Cold winters, road salts, and auto washes - we really do have it all out here!!!! :D

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  11. SpudLime

SpudLime Member

Good point. I think during the salt months i would just do a pre rinse with those first, then use this product if it works like it says it does. If I can get my car clean by hand in the 20 minutes then i would rather do this. Thanks for the info.

12. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Yes it’s legit. I’ve washed my Teslas with it every 1-2 weeks for the past five years. It’s very easy and the cars look great. If you have ceramic coating on the car (c-quartz, gtechniq, etc.) it’s even easier to wash using ONR.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  13. SpudLime

SpudLime Member

ok excellent. man, just when i think im done buying crap for my new tesla for a bit.. off to Amazon I go!

14. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Spud I actually put one cap of ONR in this thing with distilled water will last me about 3-4 months washing every other week

Chemical Guys ACC_117 Full Function Power Atomizer and Pump Sprayer (50 oz) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZA7HUS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ufZwBb491F184

• Informative x 1
  15. SpudLime

SpudLime Member

can you explain your process, i dont follow. So Week 1, you use the 2 bucket method with ONR to "wash" the car. Week 2 you use the spray bottle? So how does that work? Spray, wipe with one MF towel, spray another section, flip over towl and wipe.. repeat?

16. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Lol I’m not that much a purist and don’t use a two bucket method ...I just spray my car with this stuff let it sit for few min than wipe off using that four fold method ...not sure how this stuff works but the dirt just brushes off with a microfiber ...I use distilled water to cut on water spots ...my car is pearl white so I can get away washing every two weeks and always looks good :oops:

• Like x 1
  17. SpudLime

SpudLime Member

oh ok, so this is all you use? spritz with this gadget and wipe down every couple weeks. interesting. im all about the lazy. ha

• Like x 1
  18. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

That’s about it ...I found that stuff here few years back and have been using on a MC Red S as well ...I’m lazy when comes to these things too ;)

• Like x 3
  19. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

Only take it to Tesla branded car washes! o_O

I take mine through auto car washes, 2 years. My spoiler is still there last time I checked. So are my mirrors, but I don't check those.

Step 1. Ask the car wash place if they know Tesla's.
    Step 2. If you believe them, give them the keys.

They will need to put it into tow mode and it'll roll freely. You'll know they didn't when the roller comes up and goes under your tire instead of pushing your car along.

Getting it out of tow mode is a bit of a process. You can tell if a car wash knows what they're doing by how long they take to get the car moving after it's done. See the brake light come on 3 times? They have no clue and don't work with Teslas.

• Informative x 1
  20. Spelly88

Spelly88 Member

Wait, so putting the Tesla in neutral isn’t good enough?