Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you take a X to a regular car wash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have heard that you cannot take your X to a "regular" car wash where you give them the keys and they run it through. I heard the spoiler will catch and the car cannot be pushed along with no one in the car. Is this correct?

Sure u can take it ...but why would u :eek::eek:...those things mess up your paint ...use optimum no rinse ...simplest way to clean car ;)

Sure u can take it ...but why would u :eek::eek:...those things mess up your paint ...use optimum no rinse ...simplest way to clean car ;)

Being honest, I don't like washing and cleaning cars. I liked it when I was young, but after working as mechanic for a number of years as teenager and college student I have had my fill of cleaning cars, even my own. Second, I don't like the idea of washing at home and dumping cleaners into the nearby streams and bays. And commercial washes recycle their water. Third, it's a leased car that will replace in 3 years.

• Informative
Reactions: RichardL and P85_DA
Yeah, I'm stunned by how many "hand wash" only guys (and gals) are on the Tesla sites. Then I realize they all live in Cali!!! I would be curious to hear from those living in the northeast or midwest on using Mr Magic-type places (i.e., you sit in car, put it in neutral, and let the machines do the rest).

Ok I admit yes in CA easier to wash ..using ONR since uses very little/if any water I can actually wash in my garage ...for east coast I would think it’s non issue as the road salt probably does more damage to paint than the auto wash will :(:(:eek:

Ok I admit yes in CA easier to wash ..using ONR since uses very little/if any water I can actually wash in my garage ...for east coast I would think it’s non issue as the road salt probably does more damage to paint than the auto wash will :(:(:eek:

Good point. I think during the salt months i would just do a pre rinse with those first, then use this product if it works like it says it does. If I can get my car clean by hand in the 20 minutes then i would rather do this. Thanks for the info.

• Informative
Reactions: K3Man
Spud I actually put one cap of ONR in this thing with distilled water will last me about 3-4 months washing every other week

Chemical Guys ACC_117 Full Function Power Atomizer and Pump Sprayer (50 oz) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZA7HUS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ufZwBb491F184

can you explain your process, i dont follow. So Week 1, you use the 2 bucket method with ONR to "wash" the car. Week 2 you use the spray bottle? So how does that work? Spray, wipe with one MF towel, spray another section, flip over towl and wipe.. repeat?

can you explain your process, i dont follow. So Week 1, you use the 2 bucket method with ONR to "wash" the car. Week 2 you use the spray bottle? So how does that work? Spray, wipe with one MF towel, spray another section, flip over towl and wipe.. repeat?

Lol I’m not that much a purist and don’t use a two bucket method ...I just spray my car with this stuff let it sit for few min than wipe off using that four fold method ...not sure how this stuff works but the dirt just brushes off with a microfiber ...I use distilled water to cut on water spots ...my car is pearl white so I can get away washing every two weeks and always looks good :oops:

Reactions: SpudLime
I have heard that you cannot take your X to a "regular" car wash where you give them the keys and they run it through. I heard the spoiler will catch and the car cannot be pushed along with no one in the car. Is this correct?

Only take it to Tesla branded car washes! o_O

I take mine through auto car washes, 2 years. My spoiler is still there last time I checked. So are my mirrors, but I don't check those.

Step 1. Ask the car wash place if they know Tesla's.
Step 2. If you believe them, give them the keys.

They will need to put it into tow mode and it'll roll freely. You'll know they didn't when the roller comes up and goes under your tire instead of pushing your car along.

Getting it out of tow mode is a bit of a process. You can tell if a car wash knows what they're doing by how long they take to get the car moving after it's done. See the brake light come on 3 times? They have no clue and don't work with Teslas.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA