Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you take a X to a regular car wash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wait, so putting the Tesla in neutral isn’t good enough?

No. The second your butt lifts off the seat, the car goes into park. Even if you’re going through a stay in the car wash; I’d recommend putting it into tow mode.

Just in case you decide that you needed to reach for your wallet, reach for the glove box, or turn around to yell at your kid. Butt off = Park. Ask me how I know...

Then of course you could go the complete other direction of car washes. I use the traditional 2 bucket method for light washes or the foam cannon for washes with dirt or salt that must be pre-softened. I also use a power washer / CR Spotless De-ionized water filtration system to prevent water spots, along with an electric blower dryer. It actually takes me less time to do a full wash than it does to drive my car to the car wash, wait in line, wait while they wash and dry car, and drive back. I have it down to a science now. Takes less than 60 minutes including mobilization and demobilization of equipment. On good days it takes 45 min. Depends on how many breaks I take to sip my beverage.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20180719_072304.jpg
    MVIMG_20180719_072304.jpg
    585.3 KB · Views: 78
Yeah, I'm stunned by how many "hand wash" only guys (and gals) are on the Tesla sites. Then I realize they all live in Cali!!! I would be curious to hear from those living in the northeast or midwest on using Mr Magic-type places (i.e., you sit in car, put it in neutral, and let the machines do the rest).

I live in California (BTW, we never say Cali)! But I have relatives in the midwest so I know what you mean about those types of systems. We have one in my town, but then you still have the issues of dying the car, vacuuming and cleaning the inside glass, which is 2/3 of a Model X. So I go to the full service place. The one by me is not too pricy, $24 for an SUV. (I think I paid $15 at one of the drive in and sit-in your car places in Wisconsin last month.) However, I have not taken my Tesla to the one by me so maybe they add a "Tesla tax" on the bill.

Ok I admit yes in CA easier to wash ..using ONR since uses very little/if any water I can actually wash in my garage ...for east coast I would think it’s non issue as the road salt probably does more damage to paint than the auto wash will :(:(:eek:

Do you ever drive in the Central Valley? If so, does that stuff cut the 2 millions dead bugs off the car?

Last summer coming back in the evening from Fresno I had to run my wipers every few miles to clean the smashed bugs so I could see. When I got home, the front of my black BMW was yellow from the bug guts. My A/C condenser still has bug parts in it, 11 months later.

• Funny
Reactions: K3Man and P85_DA
Do you ever drive in the Central Valley? If so, does that stuff cut the 2 millions dead bugs off the car?

Last summer coming back in the evening from Fresno I had to run my wipers every few miles to clean the smashed bugs so I could see. When I got home, the front of my black BMW was yellow from the bug guts. My A/C condenser still has bug parts in it, 11 months later.

Did a few runs to kettleman and this stuff does cut thru the bugs u just need to sauté them for a few minutes though

oh ok, so this is all you use? spritz with this gadget and wipe down every couple weeks. interesting. im all about the lazy. ha

I'll add one more for you. Instead of waxing, use opti-seal. I did my X this morning with it and it took all of 15 minutes, and that was with me being cautious not to get any into the seams of my wrap. You can apply it to everything, not just the paint. The application should last 3-6 months (depending on circumstances). One bottle should last around 32 applications.

Ideally, you'd clay bar your car if necessary before the opti-seal coat. But it's not mandatory. I know you're looking for minimal work.. haha.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA and SpudLime
I have heard that you cannot take your X to a "regular" car wash where you give them the keys and they run it through. I heard the spoiler will catch and the car cannot be pushed along with no one in the car. Is this correct?

I believe the OM refers to car washes. It says hand wash only. The issue is the number of sensors and damage that could be done with brushes and high power water spray. I’m thinking I don’t want sensors that control my AutoPilot and blind spot messed up. So I hand wash only, plenty of places that offer the service. I also found it good to keep eye on MX cause a lot of these folks that clean the cars have no idea how to operate things like the Falcon Doors and will start pulling on them, esp to close them. If I wasn’t handicapped I would defiantly was it myself.

• Informative
Reactions: spectrum and P85_DA
So, maybe a dumb question, but as I've always been told, the only dumb ques-... (you've all heard that one before) :oops:

So, "The Plan" is to do PPF on our car, real soon now but I want to wash off the tire shine splatter that is covering the sides of my car right now. I saw the reference earlier in this thread to the atomizer and the ONR. There shouldn't be any issues with doing that before I go out to do the PPF, should there? I'm looking at the ONR description and it reads that it "...bonds to the paint". Should I NOT use this before I do any PPF?

For that matter, should I be careful with which ONR I use?

• OPT Optimum (NR2010Q) No Rinse Wash & Shine
  • OPT Optimum (NRWW2012Q) No Rinse Wash & Wax

I used ONR wash and shine prior to my ppf wrap install and there was no issue.

For that matter, your ppf installer should be prepping the paint surface immediately prior to installation.

After install, you'll want to make sure you're not covering the wrapped surface with anything containing petroleum distillates, as I'm told this will accelerate the yellowing of the wrap. Many car waxes have this. So before you use the ONR wash and wax after install, ensure it does not contain any (I have no idea if it does). I continue to use the ONR wash and shine on my entire car post-wrap.

• Helpful
Reactions: SpudLime and K3Man
Then of course you could go the complete other direction of car washes. I use the traditional 2 bucket method for light washes or the foam cannon for washes with dirt or salt that must be pre-softened. I also use a power washer / CR Spotless De-ionized water filtration system to prevent water spots, along with an electric blower dryer. It actually takes me less time to do a full wash than it does to drive my car to the car wash, wait in line, wait while they wash and dry car, and drive back. I have it down to a science now. Takes less than 60 minutes including mobilization and demobilization of equipment. On good days it takes 45 min. Depends on how many breaks I take to sip my beverage.

What electric blow dryer are you using? I never realized they make them for cars...