Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you talk through the speaker to pedestrians?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I remember watching a video of a guy who was in his model 3 and his voice was somehow heard outside the vehicle through the external speakers.
How is this done?
Also can I make sure this feature is always off? I hate my voices being heard by anyone outside the vehicle lol.

Yes, you can easily talk to people outside thru the pedestrian speaker system, simply:

- Put the car into park
- Open the glovebox and remove the USB drive
- Exit the car and go put the USB drive into a computer
- Repartition the drive to create at least two partitions, preferably exFAT, one for dashcam/sentry, and the other for music/boombox
- Create a folder named "Boombox" on a partition not used for dashcam
- Record some words of wisdom for your local hoodlums and compress the recording in MP3 format (limit your rant to a maximum of 5 seconds)
- Copy your recording file into the "Boombox" folder and eject the drive
- Go back to your car, insert the USB drive, and close the glove box
- While still in park, open the "Toybox" menu and choose the "Boombox" app
- Enable "Driving Sounds" and then scroll down to the second page of sound files where you should now see your recording listed
- Select your file and, if the people are still around, put the car in drive and enjoy the look of astonishment in their eyes.

Or, if you don't want your voice to be heard on the outside speaker, just omit any one of the above steps.

I think I remember watching a video of a guy who was in his model 3 and his voice was somehow heard outside the vehicle through the external speakers.
How is this done?
Also can I make sure this feature is always off? I hate my voices being heard by anyone outside the vehicle lol.
Make sure your windows are closed if you don't want people to hear you outside.

Yes, you can easily talk to people outside thru the pedestrian speaker system, simply:

- Put the car into park
- Open the glovebox and remove the USB drive
- Exit the car and go put the USB drive into a computer
- Repartition the drive to create at least two partitions, preferably exFAT, one for dashcam/sentry, and the other for music/boombox
- Create a folder named "Boombox" on a partition not used for dashcam
- Record some words of wisdom for your local hoodlums and compress the recording in MP3 format (limit your rant to a maximum of 5 seconds)
- Copy your recording file into the "Boombox" folder and eject the drive
- Go back to your car, insert the USB drive, and close the glove box
- While still in park, open the "Toybox" menu and choose the "Boombox" app
- Enable "Driving Sounds" and then scroll down to the second page of sound files where you should now see your recording listed
- Select your file and, if the people are still around, put the car in drive and enjoy the look of astonishment in their eyes.

Or, if you don't want your voice to be heard on the outside speaker, just omit any one of the above steps.
Or you could just use a second USB for the music/boombox.

You have to have a model that has the external speakers installed to run boom box. It became a NHTSA requirement for EVs to make some noise for pedestrian safety. My 2018 does not have the speakers. Think models built sometime starting in late 2019 had the speakers added.

5wh101.jpg

Sentry mode was also recently updated to allow you to view the live camera feeds from your phone, as well as talk from your phone out of the car's pedestrian speaker. It masks your voice a bit too (think Darth Vader). None of this is available while driving though.