Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you talk to Siri?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a way to talk to Siri from the car if the phone is connected via Bluetooth? In my current car if I hold down the speech button it will allow me to talk to her instead of the cars speech system. Does Tesla do that too?
Just start speaking. It works well. No special button that ties to Siri.as long as the phone is in a place that can hear your initial “hey Siri” request.

• Informative
Reactions: KerryOH
If you prefer not to use “hey Siri”, you can also press and hold the power button (X, Xs, Xr) or the home button (8 and below) to activate Siri.

You will need to unlock the phone though (with either your face or finger) so that might be a deal breaker for some... I have an 8+ and just unlock my phone using my thumb without looking at the phone, so it works well for me

If you prefer not to use “hey Siri”, you can also press and hold the power button (X, Xs, Xr) or the home button (8 and below) to activate Siri.

You will need to unlock the phone though (with either your face or finger) so that might be a deal breaker for some... I have an 8+ and just unlock my phone using my thumb without looking at the phone, so it works well for me
It depends on what you do. Asking Siri to call your wife/husband let’s say, does not require an unlocked phone.

From previous experience with other cars that are like Tesla (ie don’t have dedicated CarPlay or even a Siri button) you have to rely on your iPhone actually hearing you say “Hey Siri” and that mostly sucks unless it’s fairly close to your mouth and the car is not moving so that the cabin is quiet.

Tesla should really invest more effort into bringing some of this functionality that people actually have come to EXPECT in their cars rather than working on fart mode and adding 50 games.

For a tech marvel that the car and its infotainment is, it’s embarassing how rudimentary it’s integration with the phone is. Eg CarPlay has now become one of the important factors people consider when choosing a car...

From previous experience with other cars that are like Tesla (ie don’t have dedicated CarPlay or even a Siri button) you have to rely on your iPhone actually hearing you say “Hey Siri” and that mostly sucks unless it’s fairly close to your mouth and the car is not moving so that the cabin is quiet.
I use "Hey Siri" often with the iPhone in my front pocket while the car is moving and the radio is on (although not playing loudly).

I agree smartphone integration should be much better in the Tesla.

I’m having a similar problem since updating to IOS 13. While I’m in the car connected through Bluetooth, I can activate Siri by holding down the power button. It delays for a few seconds, then beeps awaiting a command. But now the car cannot hear me as if the mic is disabled for Siri. It used to work just fine before iOS 13.

Anyone else having this problem or know how to fix it? V10 and latest Tesla App didn’t fix it.

I’m having a similar problem since updating to IOS 13. While I’m in the car connected through Bluetooth, I can activate Siri by holding down the power button. It delays for a few seconds, then beeps awaiting a command. But now the car cannot hear me as if the mic is disabled for Siri. It used to work just fine before iOS 13.

Anyone else having this problem or know how to fix it? V10 and latest Tesla App didn’t fix it.

I don’t use the power button to invoke Siri. I use “Hey Siri” voice command. I am on V10 and iOS 13. I’m not noticing any issues like what you described.

Some options:
reboot the car.
unpair your phone and re-pair it.
reboot your phone

See if there’s an update for your phone. 13.1 is out I believe

Some options:
reboot the car.
unpair your phone and re-pair it.
reboot your phone

See if there’s an update for your phone. 13.1 is out I believe
Thanks. I’ve figured it out though it’s a bit strange. Before, I would hold the power button, Siri would beep, then I could speak my command. Now, when I hold the button, there is no immediate beep, but it is listening through Bluetooth. I can speak my command right away. If you don’t say anything (waiting for the beep), it eventually beeps, but now it’s listening through the mic on the phone and no longer through Bluetooth on the car’s mic.

Reactions: pcpro
I just bought an Echo Auto instead and I can just talk to her without pressing any buttons. Works great for my needs. I just stuck it in the center console where the 12v outlet is, so it's not even visible and she can still hear me just fine.