Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you transfer a reservation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If someone has a MY order say before all of the price hikes and they were about to lose there reservation could they transfer it to someone else? Potentially looking for a reservation before the price hikes of someone who no longer wants the car or waiting for 4680...etc.

If someone has a MY order say before all of the price hikes and they were about to lose there reservation could they transfer it to someone else? Potentially looking for a reservation before the price hikes of someone who no longer wants the car or waiting for 4680...etc.
Officially, no but quite a few people have been saying yes but I haven't seen anyone come out to say that they've successfully bought a transfer from someone else and are happy that it worked out so well.

Officially, no but quite a few people have been saying yes but I haven't seen anyone come out to say that they've successfully bought a transfer from someone else and are happy that it worked out so well.
Couldn't updating the profile settings with a new name work? What if someone legitimately wants to register in the name of their spouse or a family member or a friend?

Reactions: Predation
I gave one of my reservations to my sister. I gave her my account info and she went to her nearest delivery center and they changed all the registration info to her name and address. Picked up the car a few weeks later without me and without issue. I’m in CA and she’s in WA. Granted we had to share the same account for some time until her registration came in before I could drop her from my account and have the car added to her new account. Lot of people are doubtful but it was very easy for us. I don’t know if I would share my account info with a stranger though.

Reactions: voxel
I gave one of my reservations to my sister. I gave her my account info and she went to her nearest delivery center and they changed all the registration info to her name and address. Picked up the car a few weeks later without me and without issue. I’m in CA and she’s in WA. Granted we had to share the same account for some time until her registration came in before I could drop her from my account and have the car added to her new account. Lot of people are doubtful but it was very easy for us. I don’t know if I would share my account info with a stranger though.
If both parties happens to be in the same place and could go to the delivery center together then transfer seems doable. Otherwise, too many unknowns...anyone done it?

My friend recently done it in Oakville, ON.
I was with him at the delivery.
You did it at the time of taking delivery of the car? In that case, the person who booked the car would have made the payments, taken insurance etc to take delivery of the car and then transferred to reservation? or both of you had to go to the delivery center way before scheduling delivery and transferred the reservation

You did it at the time of taking delivery of the car? In that case, the person who booked the car would have made the payments, taken insurance etc to take delivery of the car and then transferred to reservation? or both of you had to go to the delivery center way before scheduling delivery and transferred the reservation
My friend provided his name and contact details and his insurance details to the person who is holding the reservation. That person provided all the info to his SA. On the day of delivery my friend went to the delivery centre with the reservation holder. The vehicle was registered under my friend name. He paid Tesla directly with a bank draft. And paid the reservation holder with another bank draft the amount they agreed upon.

• Informative
Reactions: bhramabull
Thanks for all of the replies, so how would I find someone who has a reservation on a MY before all of the price hikes who potentially would transfer? I know everyone is trying to make money but if you are not gonna take the vehicle and get cancelled why not pass it on to someone else?

Have you done this or knows anyone who has done it? If this is true, some of the earlier posts where the person holding the reservation and the new buyer going to take delivery center together on the day of the delivery etc seems unnecessary.

Yes. I’m in the process of a transfer right now. And also spoke to an SA at Tesla Austin about co owning a Model 3 with my brother so you can reset and add two people.

If you are good buddies or family with the original orderer and didn’t know about resetting the registration info then tagging along on delivery date should work too.

Reactions: aparan
Yes. I’m in the process of a transfer right now. And also spoke to an SA at Tesla Austin about co owning a Model 3 with my brother so you can reset and add two people.

If you are good buddies or family with the original orderer and didn’t know about resetting the registration info then tagging along on delivery date should work too.
Thanks. This is great information. Have seen some reservations getting cancelled, loosing initial deposit etc. I think people should make use of this rather than wasting their reservation

Maybe I’m wrong but the biggest issue with transferring the reservation is you can change the registration to whoever you want to give it to but you can’t change the Tesla account. I gave my sister one of my reservations, super easy she’s in WA and I’m CA. Only thing I did was give her the reservation number and login info. She picked up her Y no problem but you have to share the account until they get their registration documentation and then they can transfer it to their own Tesla account. I’ll share my account info to friends and family no problem. I’m not giving a stranger access to my account and therefore control of my car.