Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you turn off the rear parking sensors with a bike rack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
C4E0377B-DCC8-4EA9-BEC6-E02892033160.jpeg
A1038305-725E-4CD8-B207-04C95D2E075C.jpeg
F4825126-05B7-4723-B9BE-12672D6781DC.jpeg
12C8E57D-892A-4969-8584-A949C80AC301.jpeg
Got the X hooked up with my bike rack and noticed that sensors still were picking the rack & bike up. Figured as much too.

Anyway to disable just the rear sensors when this setup is in effect? I didn’t think trailor mode was necessary but I didn’t try it either.

Not that I know of. Putting it in trailer mode well but then you loose AP. No way I want to go without AP.
I have a similar rack and have been using it a lot lately. It is only the display AFAIK as I have no noise from it.

7gAMn8T.jpg

I’d quickly put trailer mode on before going in reverse. Back before they patched AP in tow mode I never had issues towing while in AP, just used it when it was a straight drive on the highway for hundreds of miles. It’s kinda boring driving 55 with a trailer, but with AP no sweat!!

Reactions: RedXowner
right, it does disable the sensors but it doesn't disable the beeping. The beeping actually is enabled when the sensors are disabled, to let you know that they (rear sensors) are disabled.
Thx. I still saw the fan of sensor waves on my drivers display so that is why I thought it was enabled.
I now see there is an option to disable parking assist chimes so maybe that is why I never heard noises as mine was off.

TdY7l3z.jpg

Reactions: njhtran
i'll try toggling off the "park assist chimes" too next time i have my bike rack hooked on! good catch there.
We went for a ride today and I had left the 'park assist chimes' on from looking into this. When I backed out of my garage w/bike_rack on they were going off like crazy. I just turned off that setting and it now is quiet as I experienced it before. I still see it (sensor 'fan') on the display.

We went for a ride today and I had left the 'park assist chimes' on from looking into this. When I backed out of my garage w/bike_rack on they were going off like crazy. I just turned off that setting and it now is quiet as I experienced it before. I still see it (sensor 'fan') on the display.

thanks for confirming! I guess we’ll go with this setting with the hopes an update may allow for more adjustments to those parking sensors in the future.

Reactions: scottf200
I put the car in trailer mode but that seems to disable the Autopilot driving features. I turned trailer mode off and returned to normal driving mode so that Autopilot features were again available. When using a bike carrier I just let the reverse sensors do their job and I rely on my mirrors.

With a bike rack in the receiver, the backup camera acts as if there's something else close to the car. Is there a camera setting for when there's a cargo gizmo like this in the receiver?
There is no camera setting to deal with that. I think it’s not the camera that is giving the alerts you see, it’s the ultrasonic sensors. The thread @scottf200 referenced discussed the issue.

Reactions: scottf200