Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you 'turn off' the sound system?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't like the way my 2018 Model X assumes I'm going to use the sound system.
I want it to be there - but only if called upon. For example, I leave the car (and it
locks and turns off) and when I come back the center panel comes up with the
GPS display ... and takes up about a third of the screen (bottom) with the sound
display. So I slide it to minimize it and it stays that way ... until the car goes thru
a park/shutdown cycle. Phooey.
- Jim in Burlington, Wa.

Reactions: SabrToothSqrl
I don't like the way my 2018 Model X assumes I'm going to use the sound system.
I want it to be there - but only if called upon. For example, I leave the car (and it
locks and turns off) and when I come back the center panel comes up with the
GPS display ... and takes up about a third of the screen (bottom) with the sound
display. So I slide it to minimize it and it stays that way ... until the car goes thru
a park/shutdown cycle. Phooey.
- Jim in Burlington, Wa.
On my MYLR I can push the left steering wheel button to turn off audio. I can exit the vehicle, then later when I get in, the sound is still off.
1626741394973.png

On my MYLR I can push the left steering wheel button to turn off audio. I can exit the vehicle, then later when I get in, the sound is still off.
He's referring to the popup display of the Audio user interface which takes over about 1/3 of the screen whether or not the audio was on or off when you got in the car.

You are correct that the MX does remember the state of the audio output between uses - but it still shows the UI every single time regardless.

Reactions: DavidB
My MX does not do this. Don't slide it to minimize. Click the X to close the window, or the icon across the bottom to close it. Mine always opens with the map at the top and the rear view camera at the bottom.
I think my experience is similar, tapping the music icon will make it go away and stay away. However, I doubt swiping has to do with the issue. I suspect navigation is the culprit. When I'm using media, I have the audio bar at the smallest size, and it stays that size, but if I use navigation, the media bar goes back to the default medium (1/3rd screen) size upon navigation termination (regardless of whether I reach my destination or cancel). IIRC, there is an option to automatically navigate to work and home, but I turned it off for this very reason.