TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Can you turn TACC off?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Racerx22b, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Racerx22b

Racerx22b Member

2. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Um, simply don't engage it. Now, if your question really is "can we use traditional cruise instead of TACC on an autopilot car?", then the answer is no (currently). This latter functionality is something many are saying they wished they had, especially users in more inclement weather areas.

3. Racerx22b

Racerx22b Member

Thanks Captain Obvious. Simply don't engage it.... Really?

You know what I meant. Thanks for eventually answering it. That should be a feature that can be disengaged. Can't believe that option was overlooked in beta. I was convinced it was buried in a sub menu somewhere that I was missing.

4. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

I'm sure it wasn't overlooked. I'm thinking Tesla chose not to enable it because if someone turned on the non-TACC cruise control and thought they were in the TACC cruise, they probably wouldn't realize it until they were in an accident.

It's possible that Tesla will consider enabling it as an option after 6.2, when the car is supposed to have always active collision avoidance emergency braking anyway.

AFAIK, most cars with adaptive cruise don't allow blind cruise, though I had it pointed out to me that some of them apparently do (the example was an Infiniti.)
    Walter

5. Racerx22b

Racerx22b Member

I find the feature quite annoying. It's especially annoying for passengers with the sudden decel and accel. I have the setting at 1 and still find it slows me down as I start to change lanes to pass when it detects me approaching the car in front. Trust me, I am not cutting it close. I leave plenty of room. It also engages as someone starts to merge into my lane (again - I have plenty of room).

At the end of the day you are responsible for the car's operation so I don't see how turning the feature on/off would have any bearing on your chances for being in an accident. It's not like you "set it and forget it". Feature on/off, you still need to be in control of the car.

6. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

#6 CHG-ON, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    I actually really like it and use it all the time. Around town and on the highway. Keeps me from creeping up to close because I am always in a rush and slows me down when everybody is driving BELOW the speed limit, which just kills me. So far, no problems with it all, though I am still in learning mode.

One thing it has brought to light to me is how incredibly inconsistent other drivers are on holding their speed. I have always been annoyed by it, but never realized just how often it happens: all the time! Call me a geek (it's been done many times before), but I like to find a consistent speed and stick with it. This up and down 5mph constantly is maddening. So I really like that the car now takes care of that for me.

7. LetsGoFast

LetsGoFast Active Member

I do wish you could switch to "dumb" cruise control. I had a sensor failure and for a while had no cruise control at all.

8. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker Beta Tester

Interesting as all of the cars that I've driven with ACC also allowed you to just use regular cruise control. Some of them took a little more effort than others to toggle but they all allowed it.

9. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

FYI, if you look at the release notes for v6.2 which Elon showed on Twitter today, it mentions increased smoothness with TACC when following cars--so you will probably find with the next update that the accel/decel is less abrupt. Tesla's tweaking it.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/581548787769819136

10. Galve2000

Galve2000 Member

I'm kind of upset that you cannot forego the use of TACC in favor of plain old CC... hopefully this will be addressed in a software update at some point.

Disclaimer: I have never used TACC or any type of ACC. when I try it on my Model S, i may decide that it is the best thing EVER! but at this point, I would like the option to have the car maintain a constant speed and have me worry about the traffic conditions.

11. docgarner

docgarner Member

Yep. Turn on valet mode :)

12. Lerxt

Lerxt Member

Its probably a good time for you to try it. It's fantastic. IMHO I cannot imagine why you wouldn't use the protection it affords.