Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you unlock by pressing rear door handles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the car locked, door handles retracted, passive entry = on, auto-present = off, door unlock mode = all, and the key fob on your person, can you walk up to your car and press the rear door handles to unlock it?

With the key on me, I am only able to unlock the car by pressing the driver or passenger door handles - all door handles will present. When I change the setting of door unlock mode = driver, I can press the driver handle and only the drive handle presents, however, with this setting, when I press on the passenger handle, all door handles presents.

When the car is unlocked and the door handles retract, only then will pressing on the rear handles get them all to re-present.

this is v.strange. owners manual does not clarify.
doors.png
"When you walk up to Model S carrying your key, the doors automatically unlock if Passive Entry is on. If a door handle is retracted, press it and it extends."

I'd like to be able to walk up to the car and press the rear handles to unlock/present all.

Last edited:
It works the same way on mine. Kind of annoying.

There may be a reason they decided to make it work (not work) this way, but it's a mystery to me.
Maybe a bug that they never bothered to fix?
I could have sworn I was able to walk up to a refresh'd S 75D loaner and press on the rear door handle to get them to present. Which prompted my questioning why it did not work on my 2015 S.

Thank you for posting that.

Was your car locked? With the car unlocked and the handles retracted, I can get them to present by pressing on the rear handles.

When the car is locked, I cannot unlock it by pressing on the rear handles.
The car was unlocked, sorry. Had the door been locked it would not present or unlock without approaching (with passive entry on auto-present on)

I made this video years ago before the option for passive entry, as there was a discussion whether rear doors would present at all when pressed.

As with others, my rear handles won't present when pushed if the car is locked. The rear handles will present when pushed if the car is unlocked. I'm so used to it that I automatically push a front door handle before opening a rear door.

(I've had auto present turned off since shortly after I got the car because I found it very annoying to have the handles present and mirrors fold out every time I got near the car.)

Hello All. I have just purchased a new to me 2018 Model S. I also do not want all the doors to self present the handles whenever I go near the car. There seems to be conflicting reports about this issue. Some people are able to open the rear doors by pressing on them. I have read other threads where people have said the touch sensors were not installed on the rear doors for the Model S in some years. Does anyone have any information about this? I thought the 2018 model would be “new enough” to have the touch sensors on the rear doors. Not a huge issue, but seems strange to always have to touch the drivers side door to open the rear door to let the kids in. Also just want to understand if my car has an issue that needs to be fixed. Thanks!

Last edited:
I have a 2015 and all of my handles have the pressure sensors that will present all of the handles if the car is unlocked. Actually, I recently had Tesla replace the passenger front door handle as the pressure sensor was not functioning there.

I bought my car used in late 2019 so I'm not sure of the history of all the car's door handles, but I've had two replaced under my ownership (driver and passenger front).