Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can You Use Nissan Leaf Charger for Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I was planning on making a trip tomorrow from LI to upstate NY, and I called a Nissan dealership on the way to see if I could charge there. They said they have a charging station for a Nissan Leaf. They don't know what the adapter is called, or if it can fit my Model S, or how much current I can draw. I was wondering what kind of adapter is required for it to work with a Model S, and if the adapter is included by Tesla, or needs to be purchased separately. Also, how fast can you charge a Model S from a Leaf charging station (how many Amps is it?)

Thanks for your help.
This will be my first long trip in the Model S, and I don't want to get Broadered on the way up.

I've got a similar trip planned for Wisconsin. My investigations led me to believe it should work fine with our Jxxx adapter, but it would be great to hear confirmation from someone who has done it. If need be, I might do a test at a local dealer.

Hi,
I was planning on making a trip tomorrow from LI to upstate NY, and I called a Nissan dealership on the way to see if I could charge there. They said they have a charging station for a Nissan Leaf. They don't know what the adapter is called, or if it can fit my Model S, or how much current I can draw. I was wondering what kind of adapter is required for it to work with a Model S, and if the adapter is included by Tesla, or needs to be purchased separately. Also, how fast can you charge a Model S from a Leaf charging station (how many Amps is it?)

This will be my first long trip in the Model S, and I don't want to get Broadered on the way up.

Almost certainly with your J1772 adapter. I haven't tried a Nissan dealer J1772 EVSE but I've charged my Leaf for two years through my Schnieder EVSE. It worked without a problem on the Tesla. The Scnieder, and probably the Nissan dealer EVSEs, will supply 30 amps. 20-25 miles per hour of charge time. Many home EVSEs are limited to as little as 16 amps.

Yes - No problem

Yes ... I've charged my Model S at a Nissan dealer in NJ using the J1772 adapter. It charged at around 20mi/hr. The folks at the dealership were incredibly nice, and interested in the car, and they allowed me to keep it there overnight (no fee). Good luck.

Prior LEAF owner here... current Model S owner

It's a J1772 charger. Adapter is included. From the typical Nissan dealer setup, you'll pull 30amps at 200volts (not 240) which will give you 16-18 miles/hour of charging.

Your experience with the Nissan dealer is typical: they have no clue about EV's, even the LEAF that they sell. They are just as intrigued by EV's as the general population. Some dealers are really accommodating with allowing EV's to charge at their dealership, others don't want to pay for the electricity. Be sure they will let you charge.

Check out plugshare.com (or the app) for public charging locations.

I've charged at several Nissan dealers before. From a public relations standpoint I find it best to call over and ask for the sales manager and tell them you have a Tesla (I've charged both my Roadster and S at Nissan before) and would it be OK if you charged at their dealer. They always say yes and it makes them seem like they are "in control" and have "power"... everything a sales manager's ego needs. When you arrive if you run into any resistance from some random person you can always say "Joe the sales manager said it was OK for me to charge here". Seem to work every time.

Thanks, guys. FWIW, I spoke with the Nissan mgr a while back and he was indeed very accomodating. Your added assurance was all I needed. Its unfortunate that they seem to offer the only realistic option in a few parts of the Country.

Most Nissan dealers that got an EVSE put in the Aerovironment 30A@208/240 volt units:
Aerovironment_EVSE-RS.jpg

Aerovironment_EVSE-RS_0.jpg

I've charged at several Nissan dealers before. From a public relations standpoint I find it best to call over and ask for the sales manager and tell them you have a Tesla (I've charged both my Roadster and S at Nissan before) and would it be OK if you charged at their dealer. They always say yes and it makes them seem like they are "in control" and have "power"... everything a sales manager's ego needs. When you arrive if you run into any resistance from some random person you can always say "Joe the sales manager said it was OK for me to charge here". Seem to work every time.
While I wouldn't quite call this etiquette, it's definitely prudent and polite. Well played, DrComputer.

I use a Leaf charger every day. I got the first Leaf in San Jose then sold it to make room for my Model S. I use the adapter that came with my Model S and charge it every night.

(The one in the lower picture with the "e" on it.)

6.6KW - 30A at 240V. (Yes - I know that doesn't add up - but those are the numbers provided. 6.6KW may be net out of the charger)

Keep in mind, the proper term for what the OP's asking about is EVSE, NOT charger. With J1772 L1 and L2 (AC) charging, the charger is inside the car and often referred to as the OBC (on-board charger).

The L1 "trickle charge" cord set that comes w/EVs and L2 charging stations, generally hardwired and/or permanently mounted are all EVSE.

Keep in mind, the proper term for what the OP's asking about is EVSE, NOT charger. With J1772 L1 and L2 (AC) charging, the charger is inside the car and often referred to as the OBC (on-board charger).

The L1 "trickle charge" cord set that comes w/EVs and L2 charging stations, generally hardwired and/or permanently mounted are all EVSE.

Yes, but unfortunately, 99% of the public doesnt understand that. To avoid, I've been just referring to wall mounted L1/L2s as "stations" or "wall mounted stations". Haven't come up with a good way to generically refer to the "portable" EVSEs like the UMC. I've used "charging cable" to distinguish it from "charger".

For the OP, you can use the wall mounted stations that Nissan dealers have or the "official" ones Leaf owners were recommended with the MS via the J1772 adapter you got from Tesla.

I don't know if you can use the Leaf's charging cable with the MS via the J1772 adapter. It should work. But its of course only 120V, and I can't think of a use case why one would do so, unless in a pinch (otherwise just use the UMC). And the only reason I say "should" vs. "will" is because I have the the 240V upgraded Leaf charging cable (from EVSEUpgrade that I use with my Volt) doesn't work with the MS for some reason.

^^^
The "trickle charge" cord set that comes w/the Leaf, Volt, i-Miev, PiP, etc. are all EVSE, despite them being portable.
Well, gee. As long as we are correcting terms, I sure wish Nissan had never started using the term 'trickle charge' with the LEAF. Surely, their battery engineers know that a trickle charge is most commonly defined as a charge that just makes up for cell self-discharge, and is not intended to increase the SOC.:wink: The LEAF (and other) so called 'trickle chargers' do in fact increase the battery SOC.

Hi,

Thanks for your help.

I'm planning a similar trip next month. From Garden City, NY to Davenport, NY. About 200 miles and want to go NON STOP. Only real place is Kingston Nissan on Rt. 28. Like others said we only get about 20 miles/hour from a Leaf charger. When I get off the exit I will decide if I should stop or continue. Which Nissan dealer you stopping at? How long is your trip?

Thanks everyone for your help,
It was indeed a J1772, and I was able to stop for an hr to charge, as someone mentioned, at 20 mi/hr.

I'm planning a similar trip next month. From Garden City, NY to Davenport, NY. About 200 miles and want to go NON STOP. Only real place is Kingston Nissan on Rt. 28. Like others said we only get about 20 miles/hour from a Leaf charger. When I get off the exit I will decide if I should stop or continue. Which Nissan dealer you stopping at? How long is your trip?

I plan on doing a write-up of my trip tomorrow night, or Friday night. I can send you a PM to the thread once I have it written up, however, if you want the short story, 200 miles is very possible on cruise control at 65 mph w/ a 85kW battery pack. Since its your first trip, I would recommend setting the cruise control at 55-60 for the way there, and/or drafting behind trucks. On they way back you can inc. speed if you realize you used less power.
I made the 260 mile trip w/ a 1 hr halt at 20 mi/hr and 20 miles on the dash when I reached. (Used 79.6 kW total during the trip).

Just so everyone is on the same page, it appears that what everybody here is calling a "Leaf charger" is simply one of the many available J1772 EVSE, such as a Aerovironment, Blink or Chargepoint Level 2 EVSE.

I own a 2011 Leaf. I have the Nissan branded (built by Panasonic) 120v 12amp EVSE that comes with the Leaf, and I can tell you that it DOES NOT work with my Model S. I also have the same Nissan charger modified by Ingineer to run 16amps at 240v, and it also DOES NOT charge my Tesla.

Reportedly the portable 120v charger that Nissan sells with the 2013 Leaf DOES work, but I don't have one so I can't verify that.

I just don't want anybody here to buy a used Nissan branded 120v charger on eBay , expecting it to charge a Tesla.

Had the pleasure of charging at a local Nissan Dealer today just to see whether they will let me and what the experience would be like. There is one that is very convenient to my house (Colonial Nissan in Feasterville, PA) but unfortunately they were greedy ICE peddlers and said it was LEAF only even though there were no cars charging there! I had some errands that took me near another dealer, this time Faulkner Nissan in Jenkintown, PA who were happy to let me charge. They had 2 LEAFs blocking the chargers but not charging, and after a bit of a wait they found someone to move one of them so I could charge.

As expected I had about a 20mi/hr charge rate there. I walked over to the Starbucks 5 minutes away and sat there for a while. By the end of it I was +50 miles!