Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can You Use Nissan Leaf Charger for Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to bump this back up, but seemed like the best thread for help with a Model S and Leaf charger.

We just bought a CPO 2012 P85 and assumed we'd be able to use it with our existing Nissan Leaf EVSE using the j1772 adapter. Its the factory one from a 2012, but was upgraded by eveseupgrades.com to run at 20 amps and it has worked on every other EV we've plugged into it. When i plug in our Model S, it says ready to charge in center diaplay but underneath that says "Check Charger Power". On the EVSE near the wall, the green "ready" light indicating normal operation is on.

Has anyone had this problem?

It charges fine on our fiat 500E evse
plugged into a 110 wall plug, but not this nissan leaf charger.

I have an escalated ticket with Tesla, but if anyone has any insights or suggestions, please let me know. There seems to be a problem with the handshake between the 2. Have rebooted the car, adjusted amps, verified charge timer not on, etc.

Thanks!

Sorry to bump this back up, but seemed like the best thread for help with a Model S and Leaf charger.

We just bought a CPO 2012 P85 and assumed we'd be able to use it with our existing Nissan Leaf EVSE using the j1772 adapter. Its the factory one from a 2012, but was upgraded by eveseupgrades.com to run at 20 amps and it has worked on every other EV we've plugged into it. When i plug in our Model S, it says ready to charge in center diaplay but underneath that says "Check Charger Power". On the EVSE near the wall, the green "ready" light indicating normal operation is on.

I have an escalated ticket with Tesla, but if anyone has any insights or suggestions, please let me know. There seems to be a problem with the handshake between the 2. Have rebooted the car, adjusted amps, verified charge timer not on, etc.

Thanks!
you should be able to use it, I tried it on my tesla, but you'll only get around an 18 mph charge rate.
if you want a faster charge you should upgrade to a 40 amp service to use the umc that came with the car.
as for your inability to make the leaf with the j1172 work I haven't an answer.

Thanks!
No problem to bump this thread back up because this is exactly where this question belongs, but did you try reading the thread? Your comment was #23. In comment #20 on the previous page, this exact question was answered, where it said that the 2011 and 2012 Nissan Leaf charging cables don't quite follow the J1772 specification and are incompatible with Tesla cars. The 2013 and later Leaf charging cables work fine.

It's a known incompatibility. The older Panasonic EVSEs produce a pilot signal that swings between 0v and 12v instead of the correct -12v to 12v. It works with most cars, but not Tesla chargers. I had to sell my EVSEUpgrade when I got the RAV4EV because the RAV uses a Tesla drivetrain, battery and charger. My understanding is that the newer ones ARE compatible.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Although I only drive a Korean EV I am able to use the chademo charger at the Nissan dealership. That is an actual DC charger of course. And gives me a lot faster rate, like five times the evsc. They don't mind because I pay for it every time I go there too! Of course with the Tesla you would need an adapter. I think they're somewhere around five hundred bucks so it may not be worth it to you.

No problem to bump this thread back up because this is exactly where this question belongs, but did you try reading the thread? Your comment was #23. In comment #20 on the previous page, this exact question was answered, where it said that the 2011 and 2012 Nissan Leaf charging cables don't quite follow the J1772 specification and are incompatible with Tesla cars. The 2013 and later Leaf charging cables work fine.

I did, but must have only gotten tlas far as post #19. Thank you. :)

It's a known incompatibility. The older Panasonic EVSEs produce a pilot signal that swings between 0v and 12v instead of the correct -12v to 12v. It works with most cars, but not Tesla chargers. I had to sell my EVSEUpgrade when I got the RAV4EV because the RAV uses a Tesla drivetrain, battery and charger. My understanding is that the newer ones ARE compatible.

Thank you for explaining why - this helps a great deal.