TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Can you use Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine followed up with a Ceramic Wax product?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by Nguyenning, May 21, 2019.

1. Nguyenning

Nguyenning Member

This may be a silly question, but I can't seem to find any definitive answers. I love Optimum no rinse wash & shine, but would like to also apply a ceramic wax like the Meguiar's Hybrid ceramic wax or the Car Guys hybrid wax sealant after I use it.

Is this bad for the car/paint?

2. Rottenapplr

Rottenapplr Member

IMHO the idea of not using water to clean a car is just going to introduce scratches. I mean there’s a spec of dirt. Your just moving it around on the paint. I also have a beater, a 2nd gen Prius and IDGAF about the paint. I wash it once every three months lol. It’s quiet liberating having a beater car next to a nice car and I would gladly put a no rinse wash on the Prius but hell no would I use it on my nice car.

3. Nguyenning

Nguyenning Member

Check out the 2 bucket method on youtube... or even 1 bucket method. There's enough water to loosen up any dirt.

Regardless, not sure you really addressed the actual question of using ceramic wax afterwards.

• Like x 2
  4. Rottenapplr

Rottenapplr Member

I’ve seen the spray on ceramic wax from Meguires when I was researching ceramic coating. I don’t think it’s genuine ceramic coating. It’s more like a marketing turn they are subverting. You spray it while wet and wipe it. It reminds me of spray on wax from a few years ago but they jumped on the ceramic coating band wagon. And you reapply it every few wash.

I bought Avalon ceramic coating, about $80 a bottle and you apply it using an applicator. And buff it when it sheens. It last 3 yrs supposedly but I’ll probably apply it once a year. My red car is like a mirror dude. I can see my reflection!!! It’s beautiful actually.

• Informative x 1
  5. joebruin77

joebruin77 Member

In my opinion, you can use a product like Meguiar's ceramic wax spray after cleaning your car's paint with ONR. Nothing wrong with that.

But just because you can do it, doesn't mean that it will serve the purpose you have in mind. If you want to provide long lasting protection for your paint, then the traditional wash, clay bar, sealant, wax, etc is the way to go. If you want to maintain the car's paint between applications of traditional wax or sealants, then using ONR and a spray wax like Meguiars ceramic wax is a great way to go. But it is not a replacement for a traditional sealant/wax job.

Before you use any new product, such as Meguiar's, I suggest searching youtube for video reviews. There are a ton of people out there who test these products and often put similar products in a "head to head" test.

I personally have not yet tried the ceramic wax from Meguiars. I am a big fan of ONR and Meguiars D156 Synthetic Spray Wax as my routine wash between major sealant/wax applications. The D156 has multiple uses. It can be used as a drying aid or even as an interior dressing/protectant for your dash, doors, and other interior surfaces. I also like using it to clean windows. It has hydrophobic properies so water just rolls off.

6. Kirby64

Kirby64 Member

It's not bad for the car, but you should really use standard ONR (not the rinse and shine) if you're going to apply an expensive wax to the paint. You want the car as stripped down and clean as possible if you're applying wax. The ONR wax (or glossifiers) are going to make the fancier wax not stick nearly as well.

Will it harm the paint? No. Will the fancy wax last as long vs. treating it normally? Also no.

• Like x 1
  7. Ckanderson

Ckanderson Member

Use Hyper Seal instead.

Also, Gloss Coat the car if you hav ent already

8. joebruin77

joebruin77 Member

Hi, Ckanderson. Have you used Hyper Seal yet? I just got a bottle but haven't used it yet. What do you think of Hyper Seal? I love Opti Seal and I heard Hyper Seal is even better. I am curious to know your thoughts. Thanks!

9. Nguyenning

Nguyenning Member

Is opti seal (and hyper seal) a wax? Ceramic wax?
    Assuming the purpose is to add shine?

10. joebruin77

joebruin77 Member

Opti seal is a polymer sealant. It is used to add shine and paint protection. It is made by the same manufacturer as ONR and works really well with ONR. I like to do a rinseless wash with ONR and then use Opti seal as a drying aid. You can get info about it here:

Optimum Opti-Seal

Hyper seal is a new product made by the same manufacturer. It is also a sealant, but much more durable. Unlike Opti Seal, which has no SiO2, hyper seal does have SiO2 in it. This is one of the reasons it provides better and much longer lasting protection. You can learn about it here:

Opti-Coat Hyper Seal 16 oz. - Opticoat

• Like x 1
  11. Nguyenning

Nguyenning Member

Thanks! I'm gonna give Opti-Seal a shot as a drying aid to ONR. Just ordered.
    Wondering how often you use Opti-Seal? Is it meant to be used with every single wash? So once a week even

12. joebruin77

joebruin77 Member

I would wash the car using ONR, dry it thoroughly, and then apply Opti Seal on the dry surface. I would not use it as a drying aid for your first application of Opti Seal. The water might dilute it a bit. So I would apply the Opti Seal on the dry, clean surface for the first time application. BTW, you may also need to clay bar the paint after washing if it has a lot of contaminants not removed by washing.

Opti Seal is considered a WOWA product, meaning that you wipe it on and walk away. In my experience, you still need to wipe off high spots, but it is still super easy to use overall.

After applying the Opti Seal, if you really want to make your paint pop, you can apply a top quality Carnauba wax on top of the Opti Seal. I personally like Collinite 915. But you want to make sure the Opti Seal had enough time to cure before applying the wax on top of it.

Once your car has this base protection, then you can wash your car once a week using ONR and Opti Seal as a drying aid.

One last suggestion. Keep in mind that with Opti Seal, a little bit goes a long way. You only need one small spray per panel.

• Informative x 1
  13. Ckanderson

Ckanderson Member

Yes I have it and use it. It’s like a thicker, glossier Opti seal. Opti seal doesn’t really have that fresh waxed feel when you touch the paint, where hyper seal does. Worth it for sure

14. joebruin77

joebruin77 Member

Thanks for letting us know. I look forward to trying Hyper Seal sometime soon.

One specific use I really like with Opti Seal is to use it on glass. It cleans the window and leaves a hydrophobic protection behind. I read somewhere that glass is the one surface that Hyper Seal doesn't work as well on. Just curious, did you try applying Hyper Seal to your windows and, if so, what was it like?

15. Nguyenning

Nguyenning Member

I don’t have the link now, but I came across a post on some auto detailing forum about optimum hyper seal. Some rep from the brand actually said they’re currently testing the effectiveness of hyper seal on glass (since everyone had the same question around how opti seal does work on glass)

16. Ckanderson

Ckanderson Member

From what I have heard from one of the main guys at Optimum, Opti Seal and Hyper seal don't "bond" too glass. So I don't really use it there. You can use Opti Seal to clean glass though, and actually works pretty well

17. Nguyenning

Nguyenning Member

Opti-seal work on rims?

18. joebruin77

joebruin77 Member

19. Ckanderson

Ckanderson Member

Yes. And so does Gloss Coat. Makes a hell of a difference when cleaning them too

20. joebruin77

joebruin77 Member

I just used Hyper Seal for the first time today and I absolutely love it. It definitely feels slicker than Opti Seal and was super easy to apply. I applied it to my windows by immediately wiping it off with another dry, clean micro fiber towel. It is supposed to rain tomorrow and I will see how hydrophobic it is on glass. My only concern about Hyper Seal is that it is pretty expensive and, compared to Opti Seal, it is easy to use too much product. But overall I give Hyper Seal by Optimum a big thumbs up.