Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you use the mobile charger in the rain?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know supercharging is safe in the rain, as well as Tesla-branded home chargers.

Is the mobile charger that comes with new Teslas safe to use in the rain? I realize the wall-plug side isn't ideal but the car side seems like it should be.

(I ordered a Y in June, so I'm just planning ahead. No VIN yet)

Thanks in advance!

You can, but they are not officially for outdoor use, and they do break. I had one break in the rain even though it was covered partially. Its not clear if it was defective. Some people use them in the rain, but most cover them somehow.

The "wall connector" that you have an electrician install is officially for outdoor use.

As far as the plug is concerned, it is safe to charge in the rain. I'm referring to the gray box on the mobile connector.

Superchargers are safe to use in the rain but, if there is a thunderstorm nearby, you should immediately unplug the car and sit in the car until the storm passes. A lightning strike to a nearby power line can find the earth through your car's wiring and spark to the earth from your wheels through the pavement. If this happens, the microelectronic circuits in the car are likely to be damaged.

Superchargers are safe to use in the rain but, if there is a thunderstorm nearby, you should immediately unplug the car and sit in the car until the storm passes. A lightning strike to a nearby power line can find the earth through your car's wiring and spark to the earth from your wheels through the pavement. If this happens, the microelectronic circuits in the car are likely to be damaged.

Tesla has no such policy about charging in a thunderstorm. That would be very disruptive to travelers as these storms last for hours.

[UPDATE] Tesla Model S Struck By Lightning While Charging

Sarah was told that each Supercharger has multiple relays and sensors to protect the cars from surges.

They fixed her car, and in any case, she could have made an insurance claim. Besides that, lightning will not spark through your rubber tires to the pavement.

Well it will strike a car and go through the tires, but it would probably not take such a path from the electrical service lines, as there are much better paths.

Main point is its a rare occurrence, there are plenty of other threads for the topic.

I will have to dig it up, but I did have this question myself, and I did find either in the mobile charger manual or MY owners manual that it is not made to use in the rain.

That is correct. The moible charger is not designed to work in the rain.

There are other chargers that work in the rain, and the Tesla charge port is designed to be used in the rain with the proper connector.

If it were not so, the supercharger stations would be covered with a roof, just like gas stations are.