TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Can you walk into the Calif DMV to get the HOV decals?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by merk, Aug 4, 2018.

1. merk

merk New Member

Hi All,

Got our model 3 on the ominous date of Friday the 13th ;)
    Just got our plates in the mail and I was wondering if i could walk into the DMV with the HOV form and payment and walk out with the decals? Or do you have to mail in the form and wait to get them in the mail?

Thanks

2. RayK

RayK Member

If you're around any one of the DMV offices here in the SF Bay Area, I'd say it would be faster to get them by mail than to wait in line :) .

I think that the form you fill out says to mail it in. Of course you can try going into a DMV office and see what they say.

3. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

No u cannot .,those are only processed in Sacramento ..u need to wait for your registration to process than can apply

4. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

5. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

6. markb1

markb1 Active Member

Why would anyone choose to walk into the DMV? My girlfriend recently had to go there to renew her driver’s license, and it took five and half hours! And she got there when they opened! (Granted, she did not have an appointment.)

• Funny x 1
  7. scottman71

scottman71 Member

What are the odds we can drive in the HOV lanes without a sticker and not get a ticket?

8. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

I do every week lol ....:eek:

9. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

Be careful, up in NorCal they do monthly stings on 880 and those are expensive tickets ($500 + taxes that nearly double it)

10. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

SoCal...my stickers are in glove box ..had that way for four years ..;)...down here Tesla’s are just too common ..but wow expensive tickets !

11. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

Yeah I hope that it works out for you. Almost every CHP cruiser around here has automatic plate readers. If they’re going to do that, we should at least get some benefits from it....

Around here I suspect they just love handing out big tickets on legal technicalities.

• Informative x 1
  12. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Very high. Everyone does it. I see it every day.

• Like x 1
  13. scottman71

scottman71 Member

I'll have to start paying attention. My car won't get PPF and ceramic for another couple of months and I obviously don't want to put my stickers on before that.

14. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Get a piece of small clear bra (guess they call it PPF now) and stick the HOV stickers on that then onto the car. You can easily remove it later.

15. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

That’s probably true. FWIW I equip my car with plenty of speed measurement countermeasures, but the last 10 trips to Vegas, I was able to set TACC at 85mph with zero enforcement activity either way.

Of course everyone who’s gotten a speeding ticket in California would disagree with my assertion that speed enforcement is pathetically nonexistent in this state...

All boils down to how lucky you feel :)

16. scottman71

scottman71 Member

Great idea. I bought some today thinking I'd apply them after the work is done, but you're right, I can take them off and reapply.

• Like x 1
  17. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Yup. I've been doing that since i got first EV in 2014. The good ol Fiat 500e. It makes it for easy sticker removal in the future too.

I've seen how bad they can be on those old Pruii? (Prius's, Priuses) they leave nasty residu.

18. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

I actually don't think they should be speed enforcing. Enforce unsafe driving is what i want. Those who cut in and out of traffic or actually excessive speed around neighboring traffic. And car pool violators.

Know how many violators I see every morning? What gets me are those who weave out two sets of double stripped lanes to avoid toll sensors and then weave back into the toll lanes right after the sensor. Seriously? Why not just buy a sensor and set it on 3 and violate all you want like most other people?

19. StaceyR

StaceyR Member

In CA its hardly worth the trouble as I believe all HOV programs expire this year and stickers must be replaced with new ones. As for myself...I recently retired so I don't have a rush hour freeway commute anymore (Life is Good!). HOV stickers were fine on my prior 500e but would only detract from the clean look of my Model 3.

20. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Please elaborate .,,;)