Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you walk into the Calif DMV to get the HOV decals?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Got our model 3 on the ominous date of Friday the 13th ;)
Just got our plates in the mail and I was wondering if i could walk into the DMV with the HOV form and payment and walk out with the decals? Or do you have to mail in the form and wait to get them in the mail?

Thanks

If you're around any one of the DMV offices here in the SF Bay Area, I'd say it would be faster to get them by mail than to wait in line :) .

I think that the form you fill out says to mail it in. Of course you can try going into a DMV office and see what they say.

SoCal...my stickers are in glove box ..had that way for four years ..;)...down here Tesla’s are just too common ..but wow expensive tickets !
Yeah I hope that it works out for you. Almost every CHP cruiser around here has automatic plate readers. If they’re going to do that, we should at least get some benefits from it....

Around here I suspect they just love handing out big tickets on legal technicalities.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
Very high. Everyone does it. I see it every day.

That’s probably true. FWIW I equip my car with plenty of speed measurement countermeasures, but the last 10 trips to Vegas, I was able to set TACC at 85mph with zero enforcement activity either way.

Of course everyone who’s gotten a speeding ticket in California would disagree with my assertion that speed enforcement is pathetically nonexistent in this state...

All boils down to how lucky you feel :)

Great idea. I bought some today thinking I'd apply them after the work is done, but you're right, I can take them off and reapply.

Yup. I've been doing that since i got first EV in 2014. The good ol Fiat 500e. It makes it for easy sticker removal in the future too.

I've seen how bad they can be on those old Pruii? (Prius's, Priuses) they leave nasty residu.

Of course everyone who’s gotten a speeding ticket in California would disagree with my assertion that speed enforcement is pathetically nonexistent in this state...

All boils down to how lucky you feel :)

I actually don't think they should be speed enforcing. Enforce unsafe driving is what i want. Those who cut in and out of traffic or actually excessive speed around neighboring traffic. And car pool violators.

Know how many violators I see every morning? What gets me are those who weave out two sets of double stripped lanes to avoid toll sensors and then weave back into the toll lanes right after the sensor. Seriously? Why not just buy a sensor and set it on 3 and violate all you want like most other people?

In CA its hardly worth the trouble as I believe all HOV programs expire this year and stickers must be replaced with new ones. As for myself...I recently retired so I don't have a rush hour freeway commute anymore (Life is Good!). HOV stickers were fine on my prior 500e but would only detract from the clean look of my Model 3.