Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can your Model S control your house? Mine can!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's the eve of the Northwest Tesla Owner's Club Spring 2013 Get Together and I thought I'd be outside washing my car, but it's been dumping rain... because I live in the Northwest. So I thought I'd stay indoors and get in touch with my inner n3rd and play around with my Model S from the comfort of my keyboard.

In the spirit of the HomeLink functionality I thought it would be cool if I could control more then just my garage door from my Model S. I've got a bunch of IP cameras and Z-Wave going through a Mi Casa Verde so I thought I'd try to interface them all together. It's a quick hack job, but here's my 'proof of concept' where I've got a couple lights that toggle with a push of the button along with some programmed scenes for things like All Lights Off or All Downstairs Lights On for when I come home. I can check on the dog and see who is at my front door (of course only when the car is stopped). I have all of this going through a linux reverse proxy that limits only the commands I want exposed to the Internet and blocks access to things like web admin pages for the cameras and automation gear.

I need to pretty it up and continue to work on my security controls, but thought I'd share what I put together this afternoon.

Dashv1.jpg

Has anyone else done anything similar out there?

excellent! i too access my home automation from the car. i use indigo and about 10 other programs to control alarm, hvac, audio/video, lights, irrigation, phone, cameras, etc. via insteon, zwave, ip, rf, ir, and mesh wireless. crazy the car is starting to integrate... it doesn't know what it's in for!

ps - you've got a fw update waiting. :)

That's fantastic. I've actually been delaying purchasing any home automation in the hopes that there would be a way to interface with the model S. Would this work with another format besides z-wave? Does this void the warranty? I'll see you tomorrow as well. Cool stuff.

Ben

Hey Ben,

The warranty wouldn't be affected at all since all you're doing is browsing to a http address in the web browser. As far as working with non-Zwave gear, you just need something that will act as a bridge between HTTP/HTTPS and your home automation gear. For me I'm using a Mi Casa Verde Lite. I used this page as a guide to translate Zwave functionality to a URL for my bridge. So if you can find something similar you should be good.

But... whatever you do, make sure you don't just port forward all your traffic from the Internet to all your tech toys. People will find them and start turning your lights on/off on you (or unlock your doors if you have the functionality)... That's why I used a reverse proxy as a filter.

- - - Updated - - -

I found this thread confusing as a result.

Will we see you tomorrow at Metropolitan Detail?

So for those that didn't see it, I created a home automation/ip camera portal for my Model S through the web browser.

Internet <>Firewall<>Reverse Proxy<>Web server<>Camera/ZWave(Mi Casa Verde)

So by bookmarking my portal in the car's browser I have instant access to view my cameras, turn on/off specific lights, or run automated scenes like all light off, or garage/kitchen/family room lights on for when we get home. My inspiration came from the HomeLink button and I wanted to expand it to other areas of my home.

When I brought up my house control system in the car, I noticed that it doesn't appear to support HTTP basic auth correctly, which is a little annoying.

Yep, +1.

you can try embedding the login in the url, works w most servers... e.g.:

<http://user:[email protected]/thepageimlookinfor>

...remove that underscore after user: had to include it so the dang thing wouldn't make a :p out of it every time...

fwiw...

edit: removed url tags on the http line so people wouldn't actually click it and have their browsers warn about phishing.. it's not a real url, just an example... :)

Last edited: