Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada $5000 federal incentive for Model Y?

Do you think Tesla will release a 44,999$ 100 miles base Model Y like they did for the Model 3?

• Yes

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • No

Votes: 29 64.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great info here. My delivery will be in Vaughan on Friday. Was originally Thursday this week but I was asked if Friday was ok.
Can anyone give me an idea of when Tesla sends final payment request/details ?

They sent me the final payment details once the contract was finalized even though my delivery date was only going to be towards the end of February. Although, we ended up changing our car color so the VIN was removed and they need to redo the contract now.

Being the eternal optimist I am hoping the final figure they ask for is less. However, being a realist, I have no expectations.
Looking forward to picking up our new MY standard Friday. I'm a little surprised that I've heard nothing since uploading
my insurance info last week. I'm hoping we'll here from folks as they start to receive their cars this week.

Reactions: PearlShark
We asked about the rumor of having a $5k federal incentive. The advisor smiled and said we would be happy to wait our delivery scheduled Saturday.

Later, we asked "if we hear the incentive is delayed, can we postpone our delivery and refuse this car?". The answer was "The announcement is Friday so you'll be fine for your car on Saturday".

It may not be the $5k Federal incentive. But I don't think it's the heated stearing wheel. When we paid the deposit we were told it had the heated steering wheel. And we did the test drive with a RWD which had the steering wheel.

That sounds optimistic then. I really hope this happens. Too much coincidence, the pricing of the SR doesn’t fit into their usual model so they fully intended to qualify based on the 54,900 price tag.

Also, how did you test drive a MY SR if it’s not registered? I really wanted to drive one before ordering since I wanted to feel the driving dynamics and power vs the M3 RWD.

Reactions: OrthoSurg
... Also, how did you test drive a MY SR if it’s not registered? I really wanted to drive one before ordering since I wanted to feel the driving dynamics and power vs the M3 RWD.

In Laval, they have a RWD model Y you can test drive and it's registered. That's also what a Montreal advisor told me over the phone saying the model Y RWD is available for test drive and they are just not allowed to sell them now...

My understanding is Tesla isn't waiting an approval to have the vehicule on the road. They're waiting to transfer property for another reason and advisors don't talk much! But as #Singhman said, hopefully the advisors themselves aren't victim of rumors as we are!

By the way, I loved to drive it. I found the seat to be a little uncomfortable around the thighs but it was alright after 2 minutes. My summer car is a 911 S 2008. I can't compare as the 911 is stored it was amazing how the Y felt very powerful with instant torque!

Last edited:
Reactions: PearlShark
In Laval, they have a RWD model Y you can test drive and it's registered. That's also what a Montreal advisor told me over the phone saying the model Y RWD is available for test drive and they are just not allowed to sell them now...

My understanding is Tesla isn't waiting an approval to have the vehicule on the road. They're waiting to transfer property for another reason and advisors don't talk much! But as #Singhman said, hopefully the advisors themselves aren't victim of rumors as we are!

By the way, I loved to drive it. I found the seat to be a little uncomfortable around the thighs but it was alright after 2 minutes. My summer car is a 911 S 2008. I can't compare as the 911 is stored it was amazing how the Y felt very powerful with instant torque!

If a Porsche driver loved to drive it - then it’s good enough for me. I do find that the seats in the 3/Y are a little small for larger people. It could benefit from some extendable thigh supports. But the seats overall are great.

We asked about the rumor of having a $5k federal incentive. The advisor smiled and said we would be happy to wait our delivery scheduled Saturday.

Later, we asked "if we hear the incentive is delayed, can we postpone our delivery and refuse this car?". The answer was "The announcement is Friday so you'll be fine for your car on Saturday".

It may not be the $5k Federal incentive. But I don't think it's the heated stearing wheel. When we paid the deposit we were told it had the heated steering wheel. And we did the test drive with a RWD which had the steering wheel.

Attachments

• 0F56648C-D3A9-4A7F-8603-9B08DC2E7400.gif
    0F56648C-D3A9-4A7F-8603-9B08DC2E7400.gif
    997.7 KB · Views: 82
Reactions: cdswm3
It looks like the agreement with the canadian Government didn't work...

"While Tesla gave no official reason for the delay, the speculation was the automaker was working behind the scenes to get the electric SUV to qualify for the $5,000 iZEV rebate.

With the first deliveries beginning in Vancouver today, it looks like they weren’t able to make it happen.
"

Standard Range Tesla Model Y deliveries begin in Vancouver - Drive Tesla Canada

This headline is based on the fact that this one location has gone ahead with deliveries (ahead of all the other Canadian locations which seem to be coordinated with each other).

The beacon of hope left is that Vancouver didn’t care to wait for the final verdict. This seems likely as Vancouver gave out delivery dates earlier than everyone else - and they made this decision last week BEFORE anyone could have known if the rebate application failed.

Everything I have said is speculation only. Just a wishful optimist in this situation.
If I were in Vancouver I would refuse delivery until the news was more official..

• Funny
This headline is based on the fact that this one location has gone ahead with deliveries (ahead of all the other Canadian locations which seem to be coordinated with each other).

The beacon of hope left is that Vancouver didn’t care to wait for the final verdict. This seems likely as Vancouver gave out delivery dates earlier than everyone else - and they made this decision last week BEFORE anyone could have known if the rebate application failed.

Everything I have said is speculation only. Just a wishful optimist in this situation.
If I were in Vancouver I would refuse delivery until the news was more official..

It's strange that Vancouver is releasing them. How about other provinces? Alberta? Saskatchewan?

I changed my delivery from Thursday to Monday, to be on the safe side. I'm considering asking for Saturday delivery if there's a slot available so that I can enjoy the car on the weekend, but not sure about that.

I'm waiting till Friday at least , but to be honest... these may all just be rumors and speculation. I think even some of the Tesla salespeople are possibly getting caught up in the rumours. First people said February 8th, then 12th. I've also heard about Thursday being the announcement date... It's all over the place.

I got the Sale Agreement today indicating $0 iZEV credit.
But still (naively) clinging onto a thread of hope based on this being achieved in the past..

What would make the Model Y SR different from the Model 3 SR?

its the lack of having that software locked version at $45k. tesla reps have told me the government wasn't happy about the loophole so doing it again would be hard. i work for the government too so i know they really care about fairness so if another manufacturer complained they would try and stop it from occurring again.

im getting my YSR on Saturday and have completely lost hope on the rebate. every sales rep ive spoken says it was a transport canada delay in allowing them to sell the SR and has nothing to do with the rebate (as far as they know).