Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada $5000 federal incentive for Model Y?

Do you think Tesla will release a 44,999$ 100 miles base Model Y like they did for the Model 3?

• Yes

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • No

Votes: 29 64.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
its the lack of having that software locked version at $45k. tesla reps have told me the government wasn't happy about the loophole so doing it again would be hard. i work for the government too so i know they really care about fairness so if another manufacturer complained they would try and stop it from occurring again.

im getting my YSR on Saturday and have completely lost hope on the rebate. every sales rep ive spoken says it was a transport canada delay in allowing them to sell the SR and has nothing to do with the rebate (as far as they know).

My thoughts would be if they didn't like it they could have simply changed the program to have a low limit on KM of range. If it was 240 then Leaf etc would qualify and Tesla might not sell the sr- as people would buy a 45k Model 3 that goes 240km

I'M STILL HOLDING OUT HOPE!!!

P.S. Just ordered our White SR Y with Hitch!

Last edited:
Reactions: PearlShark
My thoughts would be if they didn't like it they could have simply changed the program to have a low limit on KM of range. If it was 240 then Leaf etc would qualify and Tesla might not sell the sr- as people would buy a 45k Model 3 that goes 240km

yes this is a good way to resolve the issue- i just hope it happens before Saturday lol it would suck to miss out on the rebate by a few days or weeks.

I don’t think that would solve the problem in the government’s eyes. Tesla doesn’t need to actually have sales for the SR-. It just needs to be “available”.

In my opinion it was a poorly written program. Depending on the real objective of the rebate, these are silly constraints, similar to gerrymandering in US elections (setting arbitrary lines in the sand to tally votes in a strategic way).

If the goal is simply to get more Electric Vehicles on the road to replace gasoline cars, then these rules don’t help. You would want to be inclusive and convince domestic automakers to produce these vehicles as they are more appealing to the customer. As well as moving customers towards electric, creating demand, and the cycle continues. A lot of technological transitions happen first in the premium sector and then trickle down anyway.

Many people are shopping for a Cross Over in the $40k range, so a rebate that brings a $55k Tesla down to this, would convert a lot of buyers. These are common family vehicles that pollute.

All companies that manufacture in Canada dragged their feet on this EV transition and they are now being rewarded for it. The $1.8B federal/provincial joint investment in Ford’s Electric Vehicle and Battery plant in Ontario was a move in the right direction.

These are all amateur observations, and I hope the people running our government know better than I do and have a greater plan with good intentions.

Reactions: kpan21
I don’t think that would solve the problem in the government’s eyes. Tesla doesn’t need to actually have sales for the SR-. It just needs to be “available”.

In my opinion it was a poorly written program. Depending on the real objective of the rebate, these are silly constraints, similar to gerrymandering in US elections (setting arbitrary lines in the sand to tally votes in a strategic way).

If the goal is simply to get more Electric Vehicles on the road to replace gasoline cars, then these rules don’t help. You would want to be inclusive and convince domestic automakers to produce these vehicles as they are more appealing to the customer. As well as moving customers towards electric, creating demand, and the cycle continues. A lot of technological transitions happen first in the premium sector and then trickle down anyway.

Many people are shopping for a Cross Over in the $40k range, so a rebate that brings a $55k Tesla down to this, would convert a lot of buyers. These are common family vehicles that pollute.

All companies that manufacture in Canada dragged their feet on this EV transition and they are now being rewarded for it. The $1.8B federal/provincial joint investment in Ford’s Electric Vehicle and Battery plant in Ontario was a move in the right direction.

These are all amateur observations, and I hope the people running our government know better than I do and have a greater plan with good intentions.
Discriminating political incentive.
And government is angry when Tesla is loopholing around it?

every sales rep ive spoken says it was a transport canada delay in allowing them to sell the SR and has nothing to do with the rebate (as far as they know).

Why would Transport Canada delay the sale of the car? The Y SR (5 seats) is available for test drive so they're allowed to be on roads.

I also lost hope on the incentive but I don't understand why they would delay the sales (unless they were suppose to have an agreement which didn't work).

Does Tesla always keep customers in suspense like this? :)

Why would Transport Canada delay the sale of the car? The Y SR (5 seats) is available for test drive so they're allowed to be on roads.

I also lost hope on the incentive but I don't understand why they would delay the sales (unless they were suppose to have an agreement which didn't work).

Does Tesla always keep customers in suspense like this? :)

no clue but from what they explained apparently transport Canada has to approve it before they can sell across the country but the story doesn't completely add up since Vancouver started deliveries.

another possible scenario is the negotiations took longer and they didn't want to risk delaying sales further for the quarter

all of this just makes no sense.

The biggest issue i have with Tesla is transparency on what the hell they are doing, i bought a 2021 M3 in November last year only because elon tweeted the Y SR was not coming out- now its here and I'm trading in my 3(at a 6K loss). Everything else about them including the stock makes up for it

oh and interesting fact- the Y has lower insurance than the 3 (makin the 6k loss only 2k)

no clue but from what they explained apparently transport Canada has to approve it before they can sell across the country but the story doesn't completely add up since Vancouver started deliveries.

another possible scenario is the negotiations took longer and they didn't want to risk delaying sales further for the quarter

The biggest issue i have with Tesla is transparency on what the hell they are doing, i bought a 2021 M3 in November last year only because elon tweeted the Y SR was not coming out- now its here and I'm trading in my 3(at a 6K loss). Everything else about them including the stock makes up for it

oh and interesting fact- the Y has lower insurance than the 3 (makin the 6k loss only 2k)

Agreed.

Also, my insurance came down as well. But how do you save $4k on insurance??

Tesla is been pushy lately. They called me twice and also followed up with some emails on my Y interest. I told them straight up i am waiting for the rebate to come. I asked them to contact me as soon as they have more info. They said, ok we will do.
In my opinion they r working on it. Maybe they r hesitant (?) since it means they need to lower a 56.9k cuv to 45k software locked. In my opinion they will probably work on the 7 seater first. It is currently 58.9k (fees not included) and to qualify, it needs to be 55k. The rebate has different rules for 5 and 7 seater so, to me, it makes more sense the 7 seater deal. Eventually the 5 seater will qualify but I'll take time. I think around june or so. While they probably figure some savings out. Tesla needs sales, lots of them. Their goal is 750k cars or more so they must be aggressive if they wanted to achieve it.

Yes, it appears there will be no Federal EV discount at this time.
I have an 11am delivery tomorrow and my final payment numbers have not changed.

I am very much looking forward to the car I have wanted for some time.
The lack of an EV credit will not diminish my joy when I hit that Pedal !!!

EV incentive is one thing, price cut is another. Since last fall, the CAD went from 1.31 to 1.26, so a price drop could be in the pipeline to support sells. Mustang Mach E is now available in my area with 6 months waiting. The ID4 is yet to be priced, but the waiting list is growing fast into 2022. XC40 is also coming out. RAV4 has a 2yrs waiting list. On the other side, Tesla has no problem to deliver within six weeks.

My wild guessing, expect a price cut soon on Tesla lineup.

EV incentive is one thing, price cut is another. Since last fall, the CAD went from 1.31 to 1.26, so a price drop could be in the pipeline to support sells. Mustang Mach E is now available in my area with 6 months waiting. The ID4 is yet to be priced, but the waiting list is growing fast into 2022. XC40 is also coming out. RAV4 has a 2yrs waiting list. On the other side, Tesla has no problem to deliver within six weeks.

My wild guessing, expect a price cut soon on Tesla lineup.

The Y SR has been priced in Canada with an exchange rate that is more recent and carries a 5% premium over today's exchange rate, while LR and P carry a 10% exchange rate premium. A price cut is more likely to involve only the LR and P, if it happens.

The Y SR has been priced in Canada with an exchange rate that is more recent and carries a 5% premium over today's exchange rate, while LR and P carry a 10% exchange rate premium. A price cut is more likely to involve only the LR and P, if it happens.

Can you save me the headache of calculating the expected price of the MY LR and tell me what you found it to be?

Can you save me the headache of calculating the expected price of the MY LR and tell me what you found it to be?

at the spot price today it would be about $52,800 including the delivery. I doubt they will drop the SR Y. when I used to track the difference there was always about a 5% markup on converting US to CAD. so that would be about $55,500, so not far off the 56,300.

Now the 3 and other variants of the Y need to have their prices adjusted, so I agree we might see a price adjustment, just not on the SR Y