Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada $5000 federal incentive for Model Y?

Do you think Tesla will release a 44,999$ 100 miles base Model Y like they did for the Model 3?

• Yes

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • No

Votes: 29 64.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up MY SR in Toronto today. Trusted sales team that there was no rebate coming. Car is gorgeous in real life - inside and out.

Heated steering
Old console (don’t mind the old one)
Old headlights (old ones are great, and less moving parts to break)
30 days connectivity instead of the 1 year (did they change this on the website at some point?)
Car has enough power to keep me satisfied and handles excellently.
Most things “feel” more solid than my 2018 Model 3 (doors, handles, windows, seat, trunk).

There is a vibration in the car at highway speeds (100km/h to 125km/h). It kinda smooths out over 130. Most pronounced in the steering wheel but can feel it throughout cabin.
Not sure if it needs an alignment or wheel balancing. But it is annoying and needs fixing.

Came with a brand new software update that only said “Battery Display updated to show more range” or something like that.
Full charge in the app shows 381km.
The 30 day connectivity is strange .when I went to talk and test drove My they told me its 1 year .

Reactions: PearlShark
The 30 day connectivity is strange .when I went to talk and test drove My they told me its 1 year .

@Tesjass I'm not too sure, but to my eyes, this probably shouldn't be a major issue in choosing the SR over the LR AWD. Basically it adds 11 months @ 13.99+tax so about $154+tax to your purchase price to end up with that same 1 year of premium connectivity, while still saving many thousands of dollars on the SR between purchase price and luxury tax differences, and more still if rebates end up applying.

Tesla just changed the price of the MY for the US, they lowered it by 2000 USD, hope this makes it to Canada. Will it make the car eligible for the 5K federal incentive?

Just this price decrease would not make the car eligible for $5k federal incentive in Canada. To be eligible, the SR must be available for less than $45k and then all other trims of that model would also be available as long as they're less than $55k. By the way, the SR is already below $55k (before prep and delivery) and the reason why it's not eligible to the 5k incentive is because there is no trim of the same model below $45k.

For the 7 seaters, the rules are similar but with different amounts. The 7 seaters needs to be available for less than $55k to be eligible.

That being said, if the price of the 7 seaters drops by around $4k it would be eligible to the federal incentive. But IF they do so, they may reduce the 5 seaters price as well (which will still not be available for incentive unless they make another version for $45k).

Just this price decrease would not make the car eligible for $5k federal incentive in Canada. To be eligible, the SR must be available for less than $45k and then all other trims of that model would also be available as long as they're less than $55k. By the way, the SR is already below $55k (before prep and delivery) and the reason why it's not eligible to the 5k incentive is because there is no trim of the same model below $45k.

For the 7 seaters, the rules are similar but with different amounts. The 7 seaters needs to be available for less than $55k to be eligible.

That being said, if the price of the 7 seaters drops by around $4k it would be eligible to the federal incentive. But IF they do so, they may reduce the 5 seaters price as well (which will still not be available for incentive unless they make another version for $45k).
Yes, they need to make that 150 km sub 45k car happen again

@Tesjass I'm not too sure, but to my eyes, this probably shouldn't be a major issue in choosing the SR over the LR AWD. Basically it adds 11 months @ 13.99+tax so about $154+tax to your purchase price to end up with that same 1 year of premium connectivity, while still saving many thousands of dollars on the SR between purchase price and luxury tax differences, and more still if rebates end up applying.

I'm saving up to buy a LR Y w/7 seats, but can't figure out from the website the final price. With the options I want I get $76,590.00, but what taxes are on that in Ontario? 13% vehicle transfer tax, but what luxury tax is there? What other fees and taxes that aren't mentioned on the website?

I'm saving up to buy a LR Y w/7 seats, but can't figure out from the website the final price. With the options I want I get $76,590.00, but what taxes are on that in Ontario? 13% vehicle transfer tax, but what luxury tax is there? What other fees and taxes that aren't mentioned on the website?

Ontario doesn't have a luxury tax. Adding 13% sales tax (don't know what a vehicle transfer tax as you said) will give you a close number. They include the OMVIC and licensing in the website price. If you finance there will be a $120ish charge.