Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada - Are you guys mounting your front license plates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see plenty of ICE cars without front license plate.

Extremely rare in Ontario, although I've heard it is more common near the Quebec border since Quebec does not require front plates. Cops seeing cars without front plates near Quebec probably just assume they're out-of-province vehicles. I can confidently say you won't get away with it for long in the Greater Toronto Area.

I believe he was able to get the ticket cancelled by showing up at the station with the plate properly affixed. (I had a ticket for a burned out tail light cancelled a few years ago when I showed up at the station with it fixed).
I didn't even know you could do that.

Does anyone know if this is this like a parking ticket, in that it doesn't stay on my driving record - or does it stay with me? I'm not sure it's worth taking an afternoon off to drive to Barrie to deal with for $100, but if it's going to stay on the record it's a different story.

Does anyone know if this is this like a parking ticket, in that it doesn't stay on my driving record - or does it stay with me?

It's not a moving violation so there's no demerit points or record or anything like that. Really just a monetary fine like a parking ticket. I do believe, however, that you can be refused a renewal on your plates if the fine goes unpaid.

Texas: I have had a speeding ticket written on a car with no front plate. The officer went up front to write the number on the ticket, slumped his shoulders slightly, walked around back, and issued the speeding ticket. No mention of the missing front plate.

And... by my informal and unscientific count, about 10% of all Texas vehicles have no front plate.

Drove for a year and a half with not front plate. I live in a small town and the OPP see my car all the time without issues. Just got pulled over last week by a visiting officer and received a warning. I've ordered the magnetic holder from the US to solve the issue.

How does the magnetic holder solve the problem? Are you expecting the officer to be lenient as you run out and affix the plate as he/she watches you sticking the plate on?

I figured that as long as I'm in Ontario, and front plates are required, I'd just have the standard mount installed. It doesn't look any worse than the front plate on most other cars. I can't imagine a scenario where I'd want it off and would have to deal with the holes anyway, but I think someone else reported that a brand new nosecone only costs $200 or something like that.

I figured that as long as I'm in Ontario, and front plates are required, I'd just have the standard mount installed. It doesn't look any worse than the front plate on most other cars. I can't imagine a scenario where I'd want it off and would have to deal with the holes anyway, but I think someone else reported that a brand new nosecone only costs $200 or something like that.

I did find it odd that taking delivery of the vehicle it was not just done automatically, but instead, "so do you want the front plate mounted, we can do it in 5 min, the mounting hardware is all in the trunk". Any other "dealer" would automatically mount it without question.

I did find it odd that taking delivery of the vehicle it was not just done automatically, but instead, "so do you want the front plate mounted, we can do it in 5 min, the mounting hardware is all in the trunk". Any other "dealer" would automatically mount it without question.

The service center asked me the same question and I opted the blue pill (meaning I did not want front license plate to be mounted).

I will definitely think about mounting it if I get another warning

Here's what I did...

I took a pair of bolts that are usually used to hold a toilet tank onto the base, and slightly modified them by filing the ends down a bit so they'd fit through the grille under the nose cone. I inserted them through, rotated 90 degrees, and tightened in place with nuts and washers. Now I had a pair of mounting posts for my license plate.

I then put together an adapter plate out of a piece of aluminum I had lying around, and attached the Tesla-supplied plate holder to that. So I have a no-drill license plate holder, which is also a bit lower down and IMHO more attractive than the default license plate position. If I ever removed it, you'll never know it was there.

IMG_1403.JPG

IMG_1402.JPG

IMG_1406.JPG

Doug's approach is an elegant and secure way to "temporarily" mount the plate, but IMHO it looks better up on the nose cone. I'm curious to know if any Ontario owners who use these types of mounting solutions ever actually remove the front plate for any reason?

My very first email to my DS started with "Please do not mount the front plate".

I'm sure they get enough of these requests that they cannot "make it automatic".

Anybody else do a side-mount? I didn't want to mount on the nose cone but also didn't want to block the radar so this was the best place for me. Used the zip-tie method. It's held up pretty well despite driving through some nasty weather this winter.
IMG_20141230_142637.jpg