TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Canada: Asking for feedback on electricians who install outlets for Teslas

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Biker, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Biker

Biker Member

I'm getting quotes right now to install either 220V or HPWC (haven't made up my mind yet). Yes, I know about the Ontario rebate with the HPWC.

So far I have contacted JML Electric and Abassi Electric. Does anyone have experience with these guys and care to comment?

Would you recommend anyone else?

I'm in TO.

2. kizagjo

kizagjo Member

I highly recommend JML. They're also the recommended electrician from Tesla.

I got quotes from Mr Electric, and a few others contractors.
    Mr Electric gave me a few options, running 220V, HPWC, etc.
    JML was by far the cheapest (roughly $500 cheaper than Mr Electric). They were very courteous, and didn't mind me asking *a few* questions along the way.
    I had my Electric Panel upgraded to 200Amp as well, and they did a professional job, on the coldest day of winter.
    I felt sorry for the guy in the garage, wiring up my HPWC, in ~-30C.

I'm in Markham

3. Eco Capitalist

We used JML Electric to install a Sun Country unit at our office and I would certainly recommend them. Nice neat installation and they clean up after themselves.

4. sundoc

sundoc Member

Hey Biker.
    I've got Joe from JML coming over tomorrow to give me a quote... I'll let you know what comes of it.

5. Biker

Biker Member

Yes. Joe came out to my house yesterday and sent me the quote last night. Really nice guy and professional in his demeanor. Unfortunately the other contact that Tesla gave me has not got back to me even after a couple of extra calls.

I was hoping for a competitive quote, but it might not happen.

Sundoc, I expect to you will like Joe.

To the others, thanks for the feedback.

6. nairb49

nairb49 Member

Had JML do the install for me. No issues with the install that his workers did, clean work and no problems. One issue that occurred is that Joe from JML set up a date for me to have the inspection performed, but gave me the wrong date. I waited the requisite 9-5, emailed Joe to doublecheck the dates-no response. Finally got in touch with the inspector who said it was in fact the next day.
    I wrote another email to Joe about it, no apology or explanation as to what happened. Would have appreciated at the very least an acknowledgement of the inconvenience.

7. wolfpet

wolfpet Member

I used Mr Electric, no issues. With the rebate I wouldn't mind a slightly higher cost from a reputable shop.

8. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

I used Metcalfe Electric here in Grimsby...Todd has done a couple of installs now..clean work and competitively priced...doubt he would come to TO, but I think he would cover off Burlington to Niagara Falls though...

9. ThosEM

ThosEM Space Weatherman

Casco Bay Electric in Portland ME did a fine job installing a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage in Scarborough. Breaker slots were available in the service box, so they ran a heavy cable about 12 feet from there through ceiling joists and down through a short conduit to a box on the wall, through the wall into another box in the garage, then through about 12 feet of conduit to a surface mounted outlet midway along the garage wall. $475. This is very much in line with $275 that I was charged by Weissman Electric, for the same outlet mounted less than a foot from my service box in Annapolis MD.

10. sundoc

sundoc Member

Wow! Was this the labour cost, parts cost or total cost?
    my quote is no where near this... Then again I see you're in the States as opposed to up here in Canada.

11. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

This is a Canada thread: probably better to have this post in the New England section. ;)

12. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

My first install was about 12 feet from the box in my garage which ran through the attic to a 14-50 outlet was $500 both parts and labour. My second install to a Clipper Creek CS-60 was $650 both parts and labour (~30‘ plus junction box to covered carport). So these Canadian prices are not much different than the States.

13. Biker

Biker Member

I started this thing - and thank you for the responses. Since my delivery date has moved from October to December, I've been more relaxed about getting electrician quotes. But I now have several recommended names - and some good references for JML.

So now the waiting game ... but just a little bit longer ...

14. kizagjo

kizagjo Member

wow. a 2 month delay? is that by choice? or by Tesla?

you can always install it, and stare at it, as a reminder that your Tesla is coming :)

15. Mr. Bigby

Mr. Bigby Member

I used JML earlier this year and was quite satisfied. He's done a LOT of Tesla installs in the area and is quite familiar with the process. Keep in mind that the application for the rebate has to be made within 6 months of PURCHASE, not installation.

16. sundoc

sundoc Member

I had JML come by and give me an estimate... to be honest though it seems to be on the high side (based on quotes I've been reading here and on the Tesla forum), but since he has done several of these installs I think I'll just go with him.

Got my HPWC last week... My S should be here late Oct (Oct.27 date) fingers crossed!