Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The one disadvantage is that if you have a car with radar your radar is 100% turned off once you get FSD Beta. That means your Navigate on Autopilot may be more prone to phantom braking per anecdotal reports.
Ok thanks, but without the radar is the result of seeing cars braking ahead inferior with no radar and just vision? That is I understood that radar by being able to go below and then ahead of the car in front to the next car was able to see cars slowing much more in advance

The one disadvantage is that if you have a car with radar your radar is 100% turned off once you get FSD Beta. That means your Navigate on Autopilot may be more prone to phantom braking per anecdotal reports.
I have a 2017 Model X which has radar, but it also has 'phantom braking' issues on the highways sometimes, not that often, but it does happen, and its concerning.

Also, I assume if we get FSD and lose the radar, we could always opt out ( or purposely get ourselves kicked out ) which would then restore the radar if it was really that important to us.

Ok thanks, but without the radar is the result of seeing cars braking ahead inferior with no radar and just vision? That is I understood that radar by being able to go below and then ahead of the car in front to the next car was able to see cars slowing much more in advance
THis is likely going to be hard for anyone here to gauge, since the only people with radar that have gone tesla vision are in the states, and the probably few have tried one and the other.

I hardly get anymore phantom braking anymore, however If i *WERE* get it, i know the situation is approaching (on a two lane highway or street, with a massive truck coming the other way)

I just put my foot slightly on the accelerator and it never does it .... not sure this is much of a showstopper anymore (with radar vs teslavision)

THis is likely going to be hard for anyone here to gauge, since the only people with radar that have gone tesla vision are in the states, and the probably few have tried one and the other.

I hardly get anymore phantom braking anymore, however If i *WERE* get it, i know the situation is approaching (on a two lane highway or street, with a massive truck coming the other way)

I just put my foot slightly on the accelerator and it never does it .... not sure this is much of a showstopper anymore (with radar vs teslavision)
I have radar and get phantom braking twice daily on my trip down Appleby from Derry Road to the top of the 407 on two curves. If it is a truck at the curve it is a major braking action.

I sold my radar M3 and just picked up a Tesla vision MY. In my opinion, the non radar is 2 steps in the wrong direction. The amount of phantom braking has been crazy. I almost never experienced it in my 3. Like everyone else says, you can sometimes anticipate it around a curve with a big truck but it’s still shocking every time. I’ve also noticed a lot more bells and alarms going off vs when I had radar. They better take 3 steps forward on Tesla vision soon because honestly I enjoyed the driving experience of my old car more.

I am holding out some hope for improvement since I am still on factory 2022.3.101.1 build.

Edit: I guess I can't say the 4 letter word starting with F...it got filtered. But I can say Asshat 😜

**** (can I say that...I guess I'll find out...)

Rock solid 100 score for 3 weeks or however long this has gone on. Not perfect, 0.2% hard braking, 0.1% hard turning, 1.2% following too close...

Picking up kid from daycare and Mr/Ms Asshat in front of me realizes at the last minute they are in the turning lane of an advance light and SLAMS on their brakes and waits to go straight through the light....forward collision warning goes off, I slam on my brakes and now my score for the ride is 60. Total score dropped to 99 with forward collision average at 1.4 per 1,000 km. And to get back to 100 the simulator beta says forward collision rate needs to drop to 0.1 to get back to 100.. omg how I want to smack the person in that car now.

Also, that's nuts. You can basically have 1 forward collision warning every 10,000 km or you'll never get 100.

Let's hope beta comes to 100 and 99 people I guess. Ordinarily I wouldn't post a rant, but this is a rant and warning.

I wonder if it's as easy as opting out then opting back in...but that just seems like cheating and I feel like 4 weeks of 99 should be worth more than 6 days of 100....

Rant over 😏

Edit: I guess I can't say the 4 letter word starting with F...it got filtered. But I can say Asshat 😜

**** (can I say that...I guess I'll find out...)

Rock solid 100 score for 3 weeks or however long this has gone on. Not perfect, 0.2% hard braking, 0.1% hard turning, 1.2% following too close...

Picking up kid from daycare and Mr/Ms Asshat in front of me realizes at the last minute they are in the turning lane of an advance light and SLAMS on their brakes and waits to go straight through the light....forward collision warning goes off, I slam on my brakes and now my score for the ride is 60. Total score dropped to 99 with forward collision average at 1.4 per 1,000 km. And to get back to 100 the simulator beta says forward collision rate needs to drop to 0.1 to get back to 100.. omg how I want to smack the person in that car now.

Also, that's nuts. You can basically have 1 forward collision warning every 10,000 km or you'll never get 100.

Let's hope beta comes to 100 and 99 people I guess. Ordinarily I wouldn't post a rant, but this is a rant and warning.

I wonder if it's as easy as opting out then opting back in...but that just seems like cheating and I feel like 4 weeks of 99 should be worth more than 6 days of 100....

Rant over 😏
That sucks. It’s true though, one bad scenario and your score tanks.
Can happen to any one of us. Those in cities are definitely at more risk though.
Elon has stated that he will likely be taking scores below 100% as well, so you should be okay.

That sucks. It’s true though, one bad scenario and your score tanks.
Can happen to any one of us. Those in cities are definitely at more risk though.
Elon has stated that he will likely be taking scores below 100% as well, so you should be okay.
Yeah, the thing that shocked me is it's impossible to recover from a forward collision warning. The other scores you can kind of game by driving behind someone, driving with lots of stop signs, etc. But forward collision per 1,000 km at 0.1 events to get 100 means 1 per 10,000 km....so you get 1 bad event and that's literally months of driving to get back.

I'm sticking with my 99 anyway. Just a shame as I was a solid 100. Even had a couple hard braking incidents on the weekend and some following too close, but they didn't affect my overall score because I've driven so much and gotten 100 every day except for a single 99...then this one event kills me.

But I'm not going to stress about it....at least now that I have a scotch in me 😏

Reactions: jlc4 and M109Rider
Today, i was rolling to a stop sign, regen was on, last minute this kid flew out from behind a bush on his bike. i was doing less than 5km/h if that ......

SO, he scared the crap out of me, and i hit the brakes... i was already almost stopped so it barely jerked. Got a Hard Braking.

I knew i should have hit the kid.....

I did manage to scrape myself up from 97 to 98 over the weekend by tailing someone from Hamilton to Whitby on the 407. We were doing 130km/h, but i was driving safe i guess . :)

Nothing better than a 80 dollar 407 toll for an extra point.

Today, i was rolling to a stop sign, regen was on, last minute this kid flew out from behind a bush on his bike. i was doing less than 5km/h if that ......

SO, he scared the crap out of me, and i hit the brakes... i was already almost stopped so it barely jerked. Got a Hard Braking.

I knew i should have hit the kid.....

I did manage to scrape myself up from 97 to 98 over the weekend by tailing someone from Hamilton to Whitby on the 407. We were doing 130km/h, but i was driving safe i guess . :)

Nothing better than a 80 dollar 407 toll for an extra point.
Has anyone here touched the brake AT ALL and not taken a hit ?

I just opened my app and it says 'Software update connect to Wi-Fi to download'.
Currently on version 2022.4.5.4
Could this be the FSD beta?
I won't have wifi until this weekend but I'm curious what this is.
Maybe maybe not. Some have reported the update in Canada had some features like enabling the in car camera but did not have FSD. Could be exciting 👍🏼 what is your safety score ?

Reactions: M109Rider