Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With my M3P in service for two weeks, I'm starting fresh on a second M3. Any certainty if I use AP almost exclusively - almost zero manual - do I get the same credit for what I expect will be a 100 score after 7 days? Or will some manual give me more credit?

I'm guessing they see more than what we see - i.e. total miles driven, how much manual, instances of braking, true seriousness of infractions, etc.

Last edited:
With my M3P in service for two weeks, I'm starting fresh on a second M3. Any certainty if I use AP almost exclusively - almost zero manual - do I get the same credit for what I expect will be a 100 score after 7 days? Or will some manual give me more credit?

I'm guessing they see more than what we see - i.e. total miles driven, how much manual, instances of braking, true seriousness of infractions, etc.
You get the same credit ..using autopilot definitely helps with keeping your score high

• Informative
Reactions: CanadaEV
Just fyi for those interested...I can confirm that you can in fact be auto pilot and it still reduces your forward collision percentage score...mine just went for 63 to 15 after about 50 km of auto pilot driving..
Here is a counterintuitive but (I believe) true thing: you would have been better off just parking your car and not driving it again until tomorrow. I figured this out when I had a forward collision warning (plus hard braking event) that brought my daily score down to 31 (!) for that one day. The reason for this is that your daily score's contribution to your overall score is weighted by number of kilometres driven, but -- and this is the crucial part -- the FCW percentage is capped at a max of 63.3.

So your 50 km of perfect driving, by increasing the number of kilometres you drove today, increased today's weight in the overall total score. The same 50 perfect kilometres tomorrow would have added weight to a day when you have a 100 score; instead, they added weight to your current day, which is probably sitting at 94 if you had no other adverse scoring events.

The reason the 63.3 cap is important is that you only get the benefit of that cap if you drive very little on that day. To take my example, on my 31 score day, I drove 8 km and had one FCW, which works out to an FCW score of 125 per 1,000 km. Since it was capped at 63.3, it had less than half the impact that it "deserved" in the formula. By scoring 100 on many more kilometers the next day, I reduced the damage to my overall score.

The lesson here is that if you have a bad day, but its badness is limited by the caps build into the formula (see the FAQ for the caps applicable to each factor), it seems that you are better off just parking your car for the day and adding good kilometres tomorrow rather than trying to fix it today.

All that said, I'm sitting in Toronto at 99 on 1,715 km and getting very tired of thinking about this stuff.

Reactions: Zas and stanley7175
Here is a counterintuitive but (I believe) true thing: you would have been better off just parking your car and not driving it again until tomorrow. I figured this out when I had a forward collision warning (plus hard braking event) that brought my daily score down to 31 (!) for that one day. The reason for this is that your daily score's contribution to your overall score is weighted by number of kilometres driven, but -- and this is the crucial part -- the FCW percentage is capped at a max of 63.3.

So your 50 km of perfect driving, by increasing the number of kilometres you drove today, increased today's weight in the overall total score. The same 50 perfect kilometres tomorrow would have added weight to a day when you have a 100 score; instead, they added weight to your current day, which is probably sitting at 94 if you had no other adverse scoring events.

The reason the 63.3 cap is important is that you only get the benefit of that cap if you drive very little on that day. To take my example, on my 31 score day, I drove 8 km and had one FCW, which works out to an FCW score of 125 per 1,000 km. Since it was capped at 63.3, it had less than half the impact that it "deserved" in the formula. By scoring 100 on many more kilometers the next day, I reduced the damage to my overall score.

The lesson here is that if you have a bad day, but its badness is limited by the caps build into the formula (see the FAQ for the caps applicable to each factor), it seems that you are better off just parking your car for the day and adding good kilometres tomorrow rather than trying to fix it today.

All that said, I'm sitting in Toronto at 99 on 1,715 km and getting very tired of thinking about this stuff.
Wow ..that's quite informative.. it did drop my overall score from 100 to 99 immediately.. so I thought to drive it off just as you would for any other heartbreaking penalty.... Well I've already done a lot of driving today so we will see how this all plays out... I'm also not overly concerned because I have a bad feeling it'll take another couple of weeks before I get my update since I have a legacy X.

omg.. maybe this is why we haven't seen anyone in Kitchener/ Waterloo get FSD Beta..

our shtty LRT strikes again!
What is very unclear about this is whether this means that we Torontonians won't get FSD for the time being, or if we'll get it (if we otherwise would) but won't be able to use it downtown. This makes a huge difference to those of us wanting to stop worrying about safety scores for a while.

So here's my big question: has anyone in the exclusion zone gotten FSD yet?

Reactions: Vawlkus
I am in the same boat. I called Tesla and the cameras are not in until later this year.

I am dying inside...why would they allow us to get it via safety score, if we aren't even capable in the first place..

But thanks for the post....had no idea.. I'm going to call service tomorrow to confirm...then I will look forward to returning to stress free driving.

Anyone know how to reduce your forward collision warning %? Just did a short drive...got no alerts , nothing..but now my total safety score is now 99 with today's forward collision warning at 63% ? I don't understand it.. but anyone know how to get that number down by the end of the day ?.
No quick way...to go from 99 to 100 you need the total to be below 0.2%....thats basically 1 per 10,000 km.

You maybe didn't get a warning because you have fwd collision alerts set to off so the car won't make a noise at you, but the safety score would still do it.

I'm at 99 for the same reason. Idiot driving in front of me caused it last week and j went from a solid 100 to 99 and I'll need to drive like 8k km to get back to 100.