Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How would you know if you get FSD?
What's the indicators and how do you drive with it when you get it? (Does this mean you have to enter a destination, I assume?)

We bought FSD not long after the car Jan 2019...
You have to opt in, then have the software update with the beta. Then you have to enable it from the autopilot menu.

Yes, you need to input a destination

Fsd has a very different UI with black background and red indicating the curbs/road boundaries. The following line, etc...plus when you are on it the car will make turns and stop/go through lights and signs automatically...that's the most tell tale way to know.

On the highway autopilot reverts to the old version because they haven't merged the code bases between FSD on city streets with highway..

I received the FSD Beta today and can tell you that it uploaded 8 clips to Tesla averaging 1.8GB each during the month of running the safety score. I noticed that they tended to upload on days when I went to an area that was off my regular routes. During the month I got dinged once for close following (slowpoke merged in front of me), but managed to work it off and ended up with a 100 score over 1200km in a 2019 Performance S (no cabin camera).
Just wondering, do you know if Tesla uploads pictures taken from the cabin camera showing our faces as well? That would be a huge privacy concern.

Any way to get it to score the current trip by parking without getting out of the car? Seems if I put it in park and open and close door then drive it’s all one trip. I wanted to see my score in the middle of a trip so I know what I’m at. Any ideas if there’s a workaround outside of exiting and entering the car?

I've noticed this. If driving down a single lane and a turning lane starts, it moves into that lane without signaling and then signals the right hand turn half way down the lane.
Thanks for sharing your experience. It's the same for me and when moving into a left turning lane then turning left.

I'm assuming reporting it every time it happens might help. That will be a chore if I do. I checked the rules of the road in Alberta to be sure it's required to signal in these situations, and sure enough when you change lanes at any time, you are required to signal.

More than anything I would appreciate it signaling for every lane change to help me understand the intent of the car, and allow me to watch the road more rather than watching the display for the vehicles intended actions.

Reactions: svonorth
Any way to get it to score the current trip by parking without getting out of the car? Seems if I put it in park and open and close door then drive it’s all one trip. I wanted to see my score in the middle of a trip so I know what I’m at. Any ideas if there’s a workaround outside of exiting and entering the car?
You could do the scroll wheel reset, it now records your current drive into the score and splits subsequent driving into a new trip without even parking the car. The screen restart will take longer than exiting and entering the car though so arguable which is more convenient in your situation.

Just lift your butt off the seat for a second when you have the door ajar.

Reactions: thesteve
Just wondering, do you know if Tesla uploads pictures taken from the cabin camera showing our faces as well? That would be a huge privacy concern.
They probably do, but I really have no idea as you can't see what they upload, plus, I don't have a cabin camera in my car. You do have to give Tesla permission to upload clips before they will enable FSD Beta.

Reactions: jayk1
I’ve driven to and from work on FSD several times now with the only intervention being an accelerator push a few times.
Otherwise the FSD is getting good.
That being said, I usually don’t hit much traffic given how early I sometimes leave.
When cars are around, FSD still works well, it just sometimes takes too long to work it’s way around other cars on the road, causing an intervention.
Once Tesla gets the beta more confident around other vehicles, (left turns IN traffic for example) this will be a massive leap forward overnight. :)
Can’t wait.
BTW- Washer fluid and wipers came on, on their own today while in FSD. That was cool. :)

I’ve driven to and from work on FSD several times now with the only intervention being an accelerator push a few times.
Otherwise the FSD is getting good.
That being said, I usually don’t hit much traffic given how early I sometimes leave.
When cars are around, FSD still works well, it just sometimes takes too long to work it’s way around other cars on the road, causing an intervention.
Once Tesla gets the beta more confident around other vehicles, (left turns IN traffic for example) this will be a massive leap forward overnight. :)
Can’t wait.
BTW- Washer fluid and wipers came on, on their own today while in FSD. That was cool. :)
My experience is quite different from yours. FSD got confused consistently with the dedicated VIVA lanes on Yonge street, thinking that those are the left-turn lane when trying to make a left turn at the stop light. Also, FSD drove the car to the left-turn lane next to the VIVA lane thinking that it could go straight, only to stop at the red left-turn light and got stuck there. The car also got into the right-turn lane at the same stop light consistently when it was supposed to make a left turn there where VIVA lanes were present. Man, there is a lot of room for FSD to improve in Canada.

Looks like the mass update to 2022.8.x marked the end of the FSD release in Canada for now. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Why do you think that ? Is that being written in the blogs etc ? So much hope here so I want to assess the source so I don't kick off my safety score with a bunch of super aggressive turns and finally clean the rust off my rotors by riding the brakes !

Reactions: M109Rider
My experience so far is just okay. I've driven to and from work twice now. My biggest complaint is when a car in front of you exits your lane to make a turn, tesla thinks it's gonna hit it and kill everyone involved if it doesn't slam the brake despite having a good safe distance. This is actually dangerous if there's a car behind you that's not maintaining a safe distance. Similarly, if a car enters your lane in front of you by making a turn, tesla does not like that at all and slams the brake.
Unnecessary hard braking is definitely an area of improvement.
Now whenever I'm put in this situation, I just disengage without giving it a chance because it happens pretty much all the time.
There were some impressive moments, too. For example, there was a truck parked on the right side of the road doing some road work, and it automatically switched to the left lane as I'm sure that's the law. Can't tell if it happened by coincidence though as I had to make a left turn in 5 min.
Also, the 3D visualization is pretty cool. I was pleasantly surprised by how many objects it can see around it.
There are other awkward moments but if they fix the hard braking issue, it'll look hella legit for sure.
Interface is very poorly designed with FSD lol. It looks like a power point slide designed by a junior high school student. I'm sure they'll make some improvements there as Elon said last year.
Overall it's really fun to drive.

Why do you think that ? Is that being written in the blogs etc ? So much hope here so I want to assess the source so I don't kick off my safety score with a bunch of super aggressive turns and finally clean the rust off my rotors by riding the brakes !
I don't have any insight or evidence. It just looks to me that all new FSD install reports stopped at the same time. If someone got the FSD version after installing 2022.8.x please report here. It will mean my assumption is wrong and there is hope (my SS is 98).

Reactions: Peripatetic
I am also leaning towards thinking we'll have to wait for the next FSD version (based on the 2022.8 branch) before we see a new roll out here.

I guess we'll see. I would love to be proven wrong, but so far there isn't a single install of 2022.8 that ever got upgraded to an FSD build according to TeslaFi.

Reactions: Peripatetic