Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may be an unpopular opinion but does anyone else think that FSD beta is totally unusable...? Obviously with it being beta I had a very realistic expectation, but after watching some youtube videos by American testers I thought it was pretty decent until I tried it myself. It's to the point where I think FSD beta is actually good but there's a significant glitch in the Canadian version that's causing it to be highly unreliable. I don't think it's the Canadian roads because it's not too different from the American ones.

Here are some specific problems I encountered:
1. It couldn't make a right turn at a big intersection onto a 2-lane road if there were left turning traffics coming from the other side of the road into the left lane. It made a gesture of turning but then it stopped in the middle of the road even when it was completely safe to proceed.
2. It randomly turns the blinker on for like 2-3 seconds without making any attempts of switching lane. In my case it signalled right but didn't end up switching lane despite no cars being present in the right lane. This happened every 10 seconds so I had to disengage because the car behind me was clearly confused.
3. When it makes a successful turn, it makes a very wide turn so I had some close calls with the cars that were not even moving.
4. When there's no lines present, it loves driving on the wrong side of the road (or in the middle). This is actually a minor problem compared to other ones.

There were definitely other moments where I thought it handled very poorly but I can't think of it right now. It also hesitates a lot at stop signs when there are other cars present but I am not even concerend about this because this was definitely expected. I've never had a successful drive with no interventions yet. I've been testing mostly in North York and Markham. Anyone else in the same boat?

I saw a model 3 today that was driving really weird and people were honking. I bet that person was a beta tester too lol.

This may be an unpopular opinion but does anyone else think that FSD beta is totally unusable...? Obviously with it being beta I had a very realistic expectation, but after watching some youtube videos by American testers I thought it was pretty decent until I tried it myself. It's to the point where I think FSD beta is actually good but there's a significant glitch in the Canadian version that's causing it to be highly unreliable. I don't think it's the Canadian roads because it's not too different from the American ones.

1. It couldn't make a right turn at a big intersection onto a 2-lane road if there were left turning traffics coming from the other side of the road into the left lane. It made a gesture of turning but then it stopped in the middle of the road even when it was completely safe to proceed.
2. It randomly turns the blinker on for like 2-3 seconds without making any attempts of switching lane. In my case it signalled right but didn't end up switching lane despite no cars being present in the right lane. This happened every 10 seconds so I had to disengage because the car behind me was clearly confused.
3. When it makes a successful turn, it makes a very wide turn so I had some close calls with the cars that were not even moving.
4. When there's no lines present, it loves driving on the wrong side of the road (or in the middle). This is actually a minor problem compared to other ones.

There were definitely other moments where I thought it handled very poorly but I can't think of it right now. It also hesitates a lot at stop signs when there are other cars present but I am not even concerend about this because this was definitely expected. I've never had a successful drive with no interventions yet. I've been testing mostly in North York and Markham. Anyone else in the same boat?

I saw a model 3 today that was driving really weird and people were honking. I bet that person was a beta tester too lol.
This is the FSD Canada rollout thread, so your post shouldn’t be unpopular. You’re posting your experiences with FSD beta, and this is the place for that.

I do think your expecting something different though. This is an FSD beta in early stages in a new country. The expectation is that some drives will be great, and others will be a train wreck. :)
That’s been my experience so far. Based on what I’ve seen, read, and experienced, that’s about where we are supposed to be with FSD right now.

If by unusable, you personally mean you have to monitor it, or have some sort of interaction with it, even pressing the accelerator here and there during a drive, yes it’s unusable by your definition. :)
Not every drive will be that way, in my experience. Also, if you are driving in the city, (North York would qualify) in traffic, you’re basically using it in the toughest environment, and expecting the best results.
It’s a beta in a new country, right after a recent new software re-write (so to speak).
In your area of Canada, it’s not likely going to give you the “usable” experience I think your expecting.
Give it time.
Just have fun with it during the journey from now to “usable”. :)

While not ready to hand off to someone who doesn't like being a guinea pig, my opinion is beta is not 'totally unuseable'. It's kind of like having a 14 year old kid driving and you're trying to let them learn their own mistakes 😏

It's far from perfect so you have to temper expectations, but this is a process and the rate at which the neural network will learn and adapt to situations around the world is going to be awesome. Just think of the task at hand: come up with software that can basically drive in any country in the world according to the local rules, signs, etc...

I've not experienced your 1-3 to the level you indicate. Definitely number 4 though. I've also had much more phantom braking. It's all just the car being cautious. Yesterday I had one scary moment when it changed lanes all of a sudden into what it thought was a left passing lane, but it was actually a turning lane with a median in front. I took control and had to slam on the brakes.

Right now it's basically good with well marked roads and not in super dense traffic when people are racing around. I've seen it perform well at left turns and also be cautious. It's a mixed bag and right now you never know what you're going to get. I definitely have to pay more attention than while on highway autopilot, but that's par for the course. Even in normal driving you have more to pay attention to on city streets than on the highway.

I still don't think it's enough to show a 'normal person' and convince them it's worth 12k, but I do think it will get there. If they launch the monthly subscription in Canada and improve it a bit then I do think it's something more people will jump on.

Thanks for posting your observations, I have experienced all the issues listed above as well and sometimes all within a short drive and thought I was the only one! On weekdays I use it in Richmond Hill area around 8:30a so there’s usually a good amount of traffic around.
At this point of the rollout I expect issues and so far in my personal observations anytime as a driver you have to think (should I make that left, should I turn and accelerate, etc. Should I enter left turn lane now or later), the car will likely struggle in an equivalent situation. It can do the job, but it’s too slow to the point it will annoy other drivers (and make them confused as to what your car is doing) and naturally you will just intervene and take over. For now it appears to work well when there’s little to no traffic but when there is moderate to heavy traffic it struggles with left / right turns.

Here’s some of my notes that I took when I encounter a strange situation:

• Unable to anticipate that the line for left turn lane is full and tries to enter the lane too late and missing the opportunity. In moderate traffic nobody will allow the car to squeeze in and not line up at the back
  • When turning from plaza out to a street it takes the right most lane for too long. In my scenario, the right most lane ends, and therefore must merge into the next lane that allows it to go through the intersection. In moderate traffic the car will just stop in the right turn lane and block traffic while waiting for others to yield (which they won’t)
  • Hesitates for too long on a advanced green red turn, again too slow
  • In moderate traffic it is not aggressive enough to make lane changes for catching right or left turns and as a result missing the intersection (or requires intervention).
  • Sometimes travels way too close to comfort to the curb during turns (inches from the curb) in an otherwise wide lane
  • In smaller streets, when making left or right turns into larger street, it does not hug the left most of the lane or right most and just sits in the middle. Blocks opportunity for other cars to squeeze by.
  • A blowing leaf caused the car to abandon a left lane change and swerve back into lane, causing likely confusion for other drivers
  • Very jittery when making right and left turns without traffic light (ie: turn into plazas)
  • Brakes to try to accommodate cars coming out of plaza merging into traffic. The car is sitting on the median but the Tesla is too conservative and appear to slow down, causing the other driver to be confused
  • On left turns, sometimes it crosses to the right lane instead of keeping the left most lane. When it did it there were no cars on the other lane so hope it doesn’t do this when there are cars to the right
  • Not aggressive enough to take busy left lanes left turns. Most people are lining up on the solid lines and the Tesla does not know and blast past them and has no chance of getting into the lane and misses it
  • Appears to run late yellow. Had to brake to intervene a couple of times
  • Good left on advanced green but when there are cars it’s very slow and hesitates and creates a hazard. Most times I override with accelerator and take over steering. It’s way too slow and waits until no traffic. Doesn’t work well in any area that is somewhat populated
  • On right and left turns, doesn’t creep up enough. Not sure how it can even see the traffic if it doesn’t creep up
Although I experienced the issues above, one feature I really enjoy is the vast improvement in the drivability when letting it do autopilot while going straight (not setting a destination in gps). I no longer have to tap on accelerator in green light and tap to acknowledge green light without the car trying to stop at every intersection.

Got a phantom FCL and shot down to 96, since I don’t drive much I’m at around 200km. I’ve since driven 50km and it’s gone up to 98 now. To get back to 100 seems like I’d have to drive a good 500-800km more. I’ll probably only drive 100-150km this week, is it worth just resetting and starting back at 100? Anyone have success resetting? I tried opting out and waited a few hours and opted in and it just continued by score. Any ideas?
I had a brutal first day, opted out, waited for the safety score to come off my app (it took less than an hour, but there are a lot of conflicting reports on this... who knows the variables that factor in), opted back in and was reset. That was March 3rd, and I've driven over 5000 km since. I got FSD beta last Monday afternoon.
Keep in mind you need at least 160km, and 7 days on your safety score to be eligible for the update.

Reactions: M109Rider
It isn't. He isn't even in the charge of FSD, that is a different person. Karpathy is in charge of AI... But I'm sure his staff are still working while he is out.
Strictly, Karpathy is in charge of the vision part of AI, which is probably the majority of the NN anyway (though it may not be going forward). However, my guess is he also oversees many of the other parts of the AI/NN efforts.

Reactions: M109Rider
Just an update for anyone sad they don't have FSD yet. Don't be sad or annoyed you don't have access yet. I keep trying to use FSD in some sort of useful scenario and it fails open in minutes every time.

If you really want to have FSD, but can't get access do the following:

-turn off request for FSD. This will remove your safety score.
-disable all safety and autonomous features.
-find your 10 year old child or borrow someone else's.
-put them in the driver seat, and get in the passenger seat. Buckle in.
-Now let the 10 year old drive while you tell them what to do.
At this point, while providing driving directions and instructions on how to drive, start contradicting yourself and start yelling at the child until they start crying and gets paralyzed with fear and confusion. Now press the go pedal to help give them some acceleration to complete whatever task they are performing, whether good or bad.

Congratulations! You have now experienced the best of FSD during the start of your trip, and the worst of FSD at the end of the trip.

Please note I was being sarcastic with all my instructions above, do not place a 10 year old at the wheel and don't get mad at me if your opinions are different.

Hope this image helps people who are upset they don't have FSD yet.

Last edited:
Just an update for anyone sad they don't have FSD yet. Don't be sad or annoyed you don't have access yet. I keep trying to use FSD in some sort of useful scenario and it fails open in minutes every time.

If you really want to have FSD, but can't get access do the following:

-turn off request for FSD. This will remove your safety score.
-disable all safety and autonomous features.
-find your 10 year old child or borrow someone else's.
-put them in the driver seat, and get in the passenger seat. Buckle in.
-Now let the 10 year old drive while you tell them what to do.
At this point, while providing driving directions and instructions on how to drive, start contradicting yourself and start yelling at the child until they start crying and gets paralyzed with fear and confusion. Now press the go pedal to help give them some acceleration to complete whatever task they are performing, whether good or bad.

Congratulations! You have now experienced the best of FSD during the start of your trip, and the worst of FSD at the end of the trip.

Please note I was being sarcastic with all my instructions above, do not place a 10 year old at the wheel and don't get mad at me if your opinions are different.

Hope this image helps people who are upset they don't have FSD yet.
First I would say if it’s as good as a 10 year old then AI is amazing and it’s just a matter of time until it matures at Tesla

FYI supposed to be way better in the USA so once they fix up all the rules hopefully it’ll get even better

I drove around Vancouver today, it was better than most drives. I also just realized they geofenced a few areas, honestly I didn't know that that black areas on the map were geofenced. I was today days old...
Anyway I kept getting a warning that the poor weather could cause fsd issues. Yet it performed really well! Until it stopped with the message saying fsd beta not available due to poor weather... So I just cut the drive short.
It is interesting how every drive is different.
Today right turns were great, they were fast and confident. Normally they are slow and jerky. It's an interesting ride.

My biggest complaints are that intervening with the steering wheel will not give you full control. It just drops into cruise control and the car can accelerate unexpectedly. Also it drives way to fast in residential areas. It just defaults to the speed limit plus whatever percentage you have set. Parked cars on both sides and kids walking to school and the car is trying to blast through my subdivision at 55. The car is overly timid in every other situation but a lunatic in quiet neighborhoods. Honorable mention goes to how poorly it anticipates lanes that are ending, and how often it fails to signal or randomly signals for no reason.

2022.4.5.21 downloaded and waiting here as well. saw it when leaving work, will install later (and after checking out whats included).

As long as they dont take beta away from me ;)

Edit:

Seems like this has 10.11.2. I won't be able to test after I install because 'kids'... But curious what you others find with it. We'll add my thoughts tomorrow after going to work.

Last edited: