Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not sure that’s radar. Those are kiley just sensors. Those little plastic buttons you see on the front and back bumpers are sensors, not radar.
The radar is located in the front bumper and not marked by one of those button sensors.
I believe. ..
Ah, that makes sense. Those are the parking sensors I guess. Thought those were the ones newer cars didn't get since they transitioned to 'all vision'

Reactions: Vawlkus
ITS....SO.....HARD.....:( I have a score of 99 with 3,000 kMs and actually got it back to 100. I was driving down Guelph line into Burlington on AP and as I crested a corner, if there is a car coming the other way the AP thinks it is going to collide and I got a big 'auto jerk' and warnings. I took a hit for aggressive steering (while on AP) and back to 99...... don't...touch...the brake....ever.....never....unless it is to save you.
I have given up on the beta for this reason.

I'll leave myself opted in, and maybe it'll come eventually, but I'm not significantly changing my driving anymore.

I've been babying this thing for weeks and I'm stuck around 96.

Not only do I have to deal with Toronto drivers and my own behavior, but sometimes it seems like the forward collision warning pre-maturely triggers because the guy 3 car lengths ahead tapped his brakes hard, but only for a fraction of a second.

Anyways, I'm not going to let this stupid Beta ruin my enjoyment of this car anymore.

I have given up on the beta for this reason.

I'll leave myself opted in, and maybe it'll come eventually, but I'm not significantly changing my driving anymore.

I've been babying this thing for weeks and I'm stuck around 96.

Not only do I have to deal with Toronto drivers and my own behavior, but sometimes it seems like the forward collision warning pre-maturely triggers because the guy 3 car lengths ahead tapped his brakes hard, but only for a fraction of a second.

Anyways, I'm not going to let this stupid Beta ruin my enjoyment of this car anymore.
You can opt out and in again, when it looks like they are opening it up. You may miss the next wave, but hopefully the one after.

I feel everyone's frustration with the lack of communication and circumstances which feel out of one's control.

That said, here's my pro tips for maintaining a high score.

-Use TACC & Autosteer in every possible situation. Yes, every place it will allow you to engage.
-Never use the brake. Use regenerative breaking in all cases to come to a slow or stop. If you need to use the brake you are not leaving enough space.
-Use Auto Lane Change to change lanes. Do not take over to change lanes, as you may end up following too close, breaking etc.
-Leave lots of space between you and the vehicles in front of you.
-Track your 30 day rolling average safety score in a spreadsheet. Are you dedicated to this or not? If you don't know how the rolling average calculations work you have something to learn.

If all that sounds less like a game and more like entirely too much work, I'd say its best not to enter the FSB Beta program.

Today FSD Beta drives like a person just learning to drive, makes you look like that to others, and will almost certainly result in some very hot headed drivers annoyed and whipping around you because you're often going too slow for their liking.

If you like driving your vehicle, drive it :)

I feel everyone's frustration with the lack of communication and circumstances which feel out of one's control.
The issue is that it is a Tesla open ended promise for the next wave. You folks that got it no longer have a safety score while your car drunkenly drives around the city ! I rode in a buddy's 3 with and it if he had not intervened we would have been T-Boned. I know I know it is BETA ! When I read the US threads and how long people have been waiting, we could be doing the safety score dance for months if not longer. I have NEVER had a FCW alert in 12,000 kM of driving and now I have had three phantom FCW warnings since opting in and it knocks my score back to needing a thousand or so more 100% kMs to get back to 100. Gosh I sound like myself whining about my delivery date pushing out month after month ! I think the big issue is that the next release could be tomorrow or 6 months from tomorrow so it goes on and on !

Reactions: krislayman
So, I 'thought' something happened last week when coming home from work but also wasn't sure if I was imagining it...turns out I wasn't:

I was NOT in FSD and just had regular AP enabled when coming off the highway. I turned into a lane that was turning right and had painted lines on the road indicating it was a right turn lane. It was also clear that the lane did not continue straight through....and despite not being in FSD (no destination selected in the NAV), the car put the right turn signal on and made a right turn on its own :oops:

In another turn where the lane was marked as a right turn, but had a clear continuation through a stop light it did not do this. So somehow the car knew that the lane I was in was not continuing and knew I had to turn right...a combination of maybe GPS/Road vision and knowing I was in a right turn lane perhaps?

For any folks that are in Burlington, this is the Brant Street exit off of the 403 when driving west:

1649716967090.png

I was NOT in FSD and just had regular AP enabled when coming off the highway. I turned into a lane that was turning right and had painted lines on the road indicating it was a right turn lane. It was also clear that the lane did not continue straight through....and despite not being in FSD (no destination selected in the NAV), the car put the right turn signal on and made a right turn on its own :oops:
Not sure what you mean by "regular AP" here. If you had some level of AP engaged on the highway, then as you come off the highway the car will switch to FSD beta stack, and continue driving on city streets (this does depend on what you had engaged on the freeway, though, hence my question about what you mean be "regular AP"). If you dont have a destination in the Nav, the car will keep following the current road (you do NOT need a nav destination to engage FSD beta), making turns only when it determines that there is no "straight on" option. I'm guessing that's what happened here. Are you sure the steering wheel icon wasn't blue? If it really. wasn't, then that's a major bug, since the car should not be making turns at that point.

Not sure what you mean by "regular AP" here. If you had some level of AP engaged on the highway, then as you come off the highway the car will switch to FSD beta stack, and continue driving on city streets (this does depend on what you had engaged on the freeway, though, hence my question about what you mean be "regular AP"). If you dont have a destination in the Nav, the car will keep following the current road (you do NOT need a nav destination to engage FSD beta), making turns only when it determines that there is no "straight on" option. I'm guessing that's what happened here. Are you sure the steering wheel icon wasn't blue? If it really. wasn't, then that's a major bug, since the car should not be making turns at that point.
By regular AP I mean not having a destination in the NAV.

I guess I assumed for the car to make turns, etc it would have needed to have a destination in the NAV as before it would not make a turn on a 'dead end'

But I guess now that I think of it, it would have to do what it did because it has no other option. It just took me by surprise when it initiated a turn despite having no destination in the NAV.

It would be cool if you could direct the car to make turns by engaging the turn signal. Ie, not having to always enter a destination in the NAV.

So this makes me wonder: if I don't have a destination in the NAV, and I'm in a left turn lane with AP off and then I engage it...will it then automatically make a left turn for me because it can't go straight?

@Dutchie Did you the cams installed?

My appointment was for tomorrow morning, but they just pushed it out until the end of the month saying they are waiting for parts :(
I asked them and they said that I have all the necessary hardware installed for FSD. I don’t understand as my car is from March 2017. I am sure they must be mistaken.

Or, alternatively, they changed it already. I am still waiting to get the car back. hopefully Thursday. In the meantime I have a Mofel 3 performance. What a fun little car that is!

Last edited:
I asked them and they said that I have all the necessary hardware installed for FSD. I don’t understand as my car is from March 2017. I am sure they must be mistaken.
That's odd..didn't they tell you previously you needed new cams ?.

You should just schedule the upgrade through the app, and see what the technician says (via the app chat)

So this makes me wonder: if I don't have a destination in the NAV, and I'm in a left turn lane with AP off and then I engage it...will it then automatically make a left turn for me because it can't go straight?
I'm not sure anyone has fully tested this. Certainly if you choose carefully you can put the car into a loop where it drives round and round more or less forever. :)

By regular AP I mean not having a destination in the NAV.

I guess I assumed for the car to make turns, etc it would have needed to have a destination in the NAV as before it would not make a turn on a 'dead end'

But I guess now that I think of it, it would have to do what it did because it has no other option. It just took me by surprise when it initiated a turn despite having no destination in the NAV.

It would be cool if you could direct the car to make turns by engaging the turn signal. Ie, not having to always enter a destination in the NAV.

If you don’t have a destination in nav, it will drive straight. However, you can change lanes and turn using the turn signals. Works fine. You can also ”direct” FSD with the turn signals … if it is driving in the right lane, signaling left will change to the left lane. If you enter a turning lane, it will turn.

If you don’t have a destination in nav, it will drive straight. However, you can change lanes and turn using the turn signals. Works fine. You can also ”direct” FSD with the turn signals … if it is driving in the right lane, signaling left will change to the left lane. If you enter a turning lane, it will turn.
This is partly true (at least from the limited test I did). In another quick test I tried I was in a turning lane... Well, what a normal human would call a turning lane: the lane continued just past the stoplight and then merged about 100 feet after, and it was marked on the road as a right turn lane. At this location using my right turn signal did not make the car turn right.

What I was thinking would be cool is if the you are in the car right lane, a right turn signal would turn on the next available right (regardless if the lane continued or not). If in the far left, a left turn would turn on the next left.

In reality I think that's a much more difficult case to handle than when a destination is routed in the NAV since the car can anticipate when you need to turn, but this way it would 100% rely on vision to know when to turn. I could see that taking some time to get right, especially given how hit and miss FSD can currently be at making 'smooth' turns.

I still think the progress is great, but if I have it on I'm even more conscious about pissing off other people than when I was trying to maintain my safety score 😏

Just had a chat with a Tesla tech, who will be changing the cams on my Legacy X in a couple of weeks.. and I asked if my Radar would be disabled as FSD uses cams only.. he said "Radar will not be disabled' .. so that's good news for those of us older models with radar.

• Informative
Reactions: pcons and Shaz