Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had a chat with a Tesla tech, who will be changing the cams on my Legacy X in a couple of weeks.. and I asked if my Radar would be disabled as FSD uses cams only.. he said "Radar will not be disabled' .. so that's good news for those of us older models with radar.
Good news on the cameras.
Keep in mind, they may not be physically disabling your radar, but that doesn’t mean the software still uses it….

Reactions: Zas
Just had a chat with a Tesla tech, who will be changing the cams on my Legacy X in a couple of weeks.. and I asked if my Radar would be disabled as FSD uses cams only.. he said "Radar will not be disabled' .. so that's good news for those of us older models with radar.
Thanks for the info. Could you share what your safety score is / was when you got the notification that you are eligible?

That's incorrect .. it will be disabled while you have the FSD beta stack on the car .. for FSD beta and when using legacy AP/NoA. Techs tend not to know what's going on with stuff like the beta. It's possible he meant the radar hardware will not be removed (it wont, of course). but the software wont be using it any more.

I asked if my Radar would be disabled as FSD uses cams only.. he said "Radar will not be disabled' .. so that's good news for those of us older models with radar.
Elon has been very clear that FSD will be achieved without radar, it will only use the cameras. So while the Tesla tech likely won’t physically pull the wiring connections to the radar unit in your car, the FSD software won’t use the radar, so no reason to spend time disconnecting the radar. It’s irrelevant.

The Tesla Service techs don’t necessarily know what the FSD AI team is doing in the software.

For those of us keeping up with our safety scores I thought this was amusing. Yesterday swapped off my winter tires. Went for a drive, oh, maybe 10 houses down the road. Turned into a driveway, turned around and drove home. That was the only drive for the day. Smooth, probably didn't even get above 30. Saw this morning I got dinged with a hard braking, haha.

seriously unless for an emergency......don't touch the brakes...... every time I touch them I get hammered with a RED bar. The only good thing with adding the Kms on the safety score is that a ding does not hurt much. It is TOUGH to stay at 100% as any ding can easily take you off of 100% but hanging around 99% has been quite easy (knock on wood) with almost 3000 kms on my score

Turned into a driveway, turned around and drove home. That was the only drive for the day. Smooth, probably didn't even get above 30. Saw this morning I got dinged with a hard braking,
Do you think that was because you braked to turn into a driveway?

If so, that is nuts. I bought FSD in 2017. I’m in no hurry to get into the beta program because I don’t want to change my driving style so drastically.

Now that I have had the beta for a little while, sadly I think it's still a long way off. I know they think they can get it done with these cameras but the car just does not seem to see that well. There are basically two major issues. First is how well it can see and collect data. This is just not that good. The car continually accelerates at stationary objects that are clearly visible to the human eye. The car is very near sighted and then has to brakes hard and late. Then there is the issue is how it behaves based on that data. The car is just a very poor driver, very basic concepts that they teach at any driving school. The car doesn't signal properly, it changes lanes through intersections. It cranks the wheel and sticks its nose into traffic. It creeps forward even when there is no chance it can go. You can see other drivers startled because they think you are just going to drive right in front of them. The way it tries to center itself in the lane is really bad. You have a perfect painted line on your left and drive ways, parked cars, bike lanes and everything else on your right and it uses the right side to try and position itself in the lane. Mine has driven onto the shoulder thinking that is the lane. It does not turn well continually going wide and tight for no apparent reason (why it ends up on the shoulder). If you have winter rims I would keep them on while testing FSD because it constantly tries to curb your rims.

Now that I have had the beta for a little while, sadly I think it's still a long way off. I know they think they can get it done with these cameras but the car just does not seem to see that well. There are basically two major issues. First is how well it can see and collect data. This is just not that good. The car continually accelerates at stationary objects that are clearly visible to the human eye. The car is very near sighted and then has to brakes hard and late. Then there is the issue is how it behaves based on that data. The car is just a very poor driver, very basic concepts that they teach at any driving school. The car doesn't signal properly, it changes lanes through intersections. It cranks the wheel and sticks its nose into traffic. It creeps forward even when there is no chance it can go. You can see other drivers startled because they think you are just going to drive right in front of them. The way it tries to center itself in the lane is really bad. You have a perfect painted line on your left and drive ways, parked cars, bike lanes and everything else on your right and it uses the right side to try and position itself in the lane. Mine has driven onto the shoulder thinking that is the lane. It does not turn well continually going wide and tight for no apparent reason (why it ends up on the shoulder). If you have winter rims I would keep them on while testing FSD because it constantly tries to curb your rims.
I agree with you. I didn't really expect much anyway since it's only a beta. I had fun playing with it but sadly I stopped using it completely because it was too unreliable and quite stressful if there are other drivers around. I intend to keep trying in future though to help with the data. Seeing how reliable autopilot is on highways, I believe significant improvements will come eventually to make it somewhat FSD, but that would require some time, maybe 5 years if everything goes smoothly. It would make the whole testing experience a lot more enjoyable if it minimized unnecessary hard braking and severely awkward turning behaviors.

For those of us keeping up with our safety scores I thought this was amusing. Yesterday swapped off my winter tires. Went for a drive, oh, maybe 10 houses down the road. Turned into a driveway, turned around and drove home. That was the only drive for the day. Smooth, probably didn't even get above 30. Saw this morning I got dinged with a hard braking, haha.
That’s happened to me more than once.

Once when I forgot my wallet and turned around a few doors down.

Im opting out! Can’t deal with this anymore. It’s a long weekend and Im tired of driving on Autopilot or TACC every where i go just to keep my score up. I will start enjoying driving my car again starting tonight. From what I’ve read here im not missing that much since FSD is still far far from being ready. I’ll retry maybe this summer.

Some here have noted that they see is very poor performance from the FSD beta.

I do agree that it is more stressful than driving yourself, or even driving in conjunction with normal Autopilot.

However, that stress factor is implicit in the idea of using a beta version of driving software. It is not a trivial task. I believe it is important to see this as a serious job to aid a serious company that needs expert assistance.

Why should I treat driving what I consider the best vehicle, the most fun vehicle to drive, the vehicle that I paid quite a high price to purchase… Why should I consider that a job?

I see it that way because of how grateful I am that this car exists.

Tesla, and in particular, Musk, are investing incredible trust in its army of beta testers. They know very well that they are trading on the skills and patience and inconvenience of all these testers. It is mostly not fun from a practical point of view, but intensely interesting from the point of view of observing the progress that is happening in the whole Tesla vision.

When I look at it that way, I do not see a five year horizon, or even a two year horizon. I see unbelievable intelligence in the FSD software as it exists today.

No, I am not oblivious to its mistakes. Compared to any human driver, it is in its infancy. However what it can do now completely amazes me, often times performing many times better than human drivers do in important driving scenarios.

When my kids were in their early years, say before five, I had the same kind of awe at how they would suddenly progress with new abilities they hadn’t had only weeks before.

When this FSD matures people will forget its early years. They will take it for granted when it demonstrates superhuman driving ability. This is not far in the future. Exponential advance in technology is rarely visible as it happens.

I don’t expect everyone to look at it this way. If you love your car and you love driving it, that’s what you should do.

Ha ha, it’s only for nerds like me to spend their time marvelling at just exactly how much mechanical /electronic things can behave so much like humans, not at how much they can’t.

I do agree that it is more stressful than driving yourself, or even driving in conjunction with normal Autopilot.

However, that stress factor is implicit in the idea of using a beta version of driving software. It is not a trivial task. I believe it is important to see this as a serious job to aid a serious company that needs expert assistance.

Why should I treat driving what I consider the best vehicle, the most fun vehicle to drive, the vehicle that I paid quite a high price to purchase… Why should I consider that a job?

Tesla, and in particular, Musk, are investing incredible trust in its army of beta testers. They know very well that they are trading on the skills and patience and inconvenience of all these testers. It is mostly not fun from a practical point of view, but intensely interesting from the point of view of observing the progress that is happening in the whole Tesla vision.

When I look at it that way, I do not see a five year horizon, or even a two year horizon. I see unbelievable intelligence in the FSD software as it exists today.

No, I am not oblivious to its mistakes. Compared to any human driver, it is in its infancy. However what it can do now completely amazes me, often times performing many times better than human drivers do in important driving scenarios.

When my kids were in their early years, say before five, I had the same kind of awe at how they would suddenly progress with new abilities they hadn’t had only weeks before.

When this FSD matures people will forget its early years. They will take it for granted when it demonstrates superhuman driving ability. This is not far in the future. Exponential advance in technology is rarely visible as it happens.

I don’t expect everyone to look at it this way. If you love your car and you love driving it, that’s what you should do.

Ha ha, it’s only for nerds like me to spend their time marvelling at just exactly how much mechanical /electronic things can behave so much like humans, not at how much they can’t.
Very well said. I am in full agreement.

Let's also not forget how nervous we all were when first driving, when we had our first winter snow storm, when we first hydroplaned or slid on ice. It's not joking when I say the car drives (sometimes) like a 14 year old.

But the nature of the neural net is it will learn from experience just like any human. Will it ever match what a person can do? Maybe, maybe not. But in theory it should on average drive better than the average person in time.

I for one would rather have this now and be a part of it instead of waiting 10 years for it to be tested by employees only and then released. I think (just like everything else about this car) it will improve very quickly in the coming months.

Not sure when most here got there cars, but I'm going on 4 years in a few months. The difference in features and performance are night and day, all OTA updates. FSD will follow the same path.

It is 100% more stressful than driving yourself, but did anyone expect to put on FSD and fall asleep in the back? (Not counting those idiots that already do that for YouTube clicks).

Reactions: jlc4 and CanadaEV
Im opting out! Can’t deal with this anymore. It’s a long weekend and Im tired of driving on Autopilot or TACC every where i go just to keep my score up. I will start enjoying driving my car again starting tonight. From what I’ve read here im not missing that much since FSD is still far far from being ready. I’ll retry maybe this summer.
I opted out as well. Not sure when the next round of testers come around but I would rather opt in then as I know how to get my score and km in a few days to try then. At least till then I can drive like normal again.

Reactions: CanadaEV and Danzel

Amen to that!

Opted in. A week later after driving embarrassingly slowly and leaving gaps a bus could fill I ended up at 96%. Mostly following to closely followed by apparently aggressive cornering and hard braking.

Opted out for a day or two, Safety Score disappeared and then I opted back in successfully. However the Safety Score never returned to the APP. Signed in and out, rebooted AP and car, nada.

Opted out again. Two days later while still opted out the Safety Score returned…. It only captured one day. The day after I opted out while I having some fun while opted out 😬. Safety score for the only day recorded is 90%. Still there. Not recording anymore as I’m still opted out.

I quit. I’ll wait for full release whenever that might happen…

I was NOT in FSD and just had regular AP enabled when coming off the highway. I turned into a lane that was turning right and had painted lines on the road indicating it was a right turn lane. It was also clear that the lane did not continue straight through....and despite not being in FSD (no destination selected in the NAV), the car put the right turn signal on and made a right turn on its own :oops:

I've found that if you don't have a destination set, it'll go straight through regardless of the lane markings if it has a lane that appears to be straight ahead on the other side of the intersection. I've also found that if there's no clear straight through lane, it'll default to making a right turn.

Same thing happens if you're coming up to a round-about with no destination set. It'll automatically take the first exit.

Reactions: M109Rider
Did some testing with FSD Beta around residential areas today. Found that whenever the car had to take a left turn on to another residential street with no marked center lines, it started the turns WAY too early and completely drove over the oncoming side of the road to get into the right lane. Also, on 2 right turns today, I had to intervene otherwize my uberturbines would have been curbed.