Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I started sending Opt Out emails just after the last update, took about a month and couple emails a week but they finally put me back on the non FSD software last night. I have to say it is glorious, just being able to use autopilot and it is smooth, consistent and can maintain a proper distance. Having the 10km an hour over the limit on roads that are listed as 60 that should be 80 and everyone drives 100 is a bummer but that is my only complaint. Now that I have radar back the performance degradation without it is even worse than I imagined and I was vocal about how bad I thought it was.

I started sending Opt Out emails just after the last update, took about a month and couple emails a week but they finally put me back on the non FSD software last night. I have to say it is glorious, just being able to use autopilot and it is smooth, consistent and can maintain a proper distance. Having the 10km an hour over the limit on roads that are listed as 60 that should be 80 and everyone drives 100 is a bummer but that is my only complaint. Now that I have radar back the performance degradation without it is even worse than I imagined and I was vocal about how bad I thought it was.
I don’t think the radar is in use even for regular autopilot

I’m pretty sure you don’t have radar.

Well, everything is back to how it was when I had radar. I can set the lowest follow distance and the follow distance actually works. I know Elon has said the car doesn't need radar anymore and it works better without it but driving experience in the two different softwares is night and day. It seems odd that one version can perfectly judge the space and the version using vision completely falls apart in the dark. Radar seems like the very obvious reason why. Sure they could just have completely broken everything in the FSD version but I am just happy to have the car back to performing as I expect.

Reactions: M109Rider
Well, everything is back to how it was when I had radar. I can set the lowest follow distance and the follow distance actually works. I know Elon has said the car doesn't need radar anymore and it works better without it but driving experience in the two different softwares is night and day. It seems odd that one version can perfectly judge the space and the version using vision completely falls apart in the dark. Radar seems like the very obvious reason why. Sure they could just have completely broken everything in the FSD version but I am just happy to have the car back to performing as I expect.
My experience is quite different than you. I would say the FSD software solved a lot of issues I had before, but I didn't have radar before anyway.

I just reverted to a non-FSD build as well, 2018 radar car and the autopilot is so much better. FSD autopilot would get spooked at most highway intersections, lots of phantom breaking.
Not sure if its radar, or just older AP build but FSD didn't freak out about cars turning in front of you as much as the radar AP does. I miss the speed limit bump, 10 over is a drag...especially when the speed limit is wrong, but it's honestly so much smoother with radar.

I just reverted to a non-FSD build as well, 2018 radar car and the autopilot is so much better. FSD autopilot would get spooked at most highway intersections, lots of phantom breaking.
Not sure if its radar, or just older AP build but FSD didn't freak out about cars turning in front of you as much as the radar AP does. I miss the speed limit bump, 10 over is a drag...especially when the speed limit is wrong, but it's honestly so much smoother with radar.
I have a 2018 AWD model 3, and have FSD.
I can say that there has been very little difference from when it used radar to now, where the radar has been disengaged.
Any phantom braking that is occurring, is from software updates only. The phantom braking I experienced from the time radar was being used, and then wasn’t, didn’t really change.

The only change I notice is the car does not seem to adjust to following distances quite as quickly. It still adjusts, just not as quick as it seemed to when it used the radar.

Reactions: CanadaEV
Finally some insight into the next update.

1657769946191.png

I don't understand why people think he is so key. He wasn't even over the AP team, he only handled the AI portion.
So, to answer that back. He was a key figure in the ongoing strategy for AP/FSD. Sure, you can replace him, but the question is whether the next guy will set a different direction and what that may imply to those who bought AP/FSD without radar.

This isn't that dissimilar to the whole MobileEye fiasco of 2016 that set things back years as far as I'm concerned.

So, to answer that back. He was a key figure in the ongoing strategy for AP/FSD. Sure, you can replace him, but the question is whether the next guy will set a different direction and what that may imply to those who bought AP/FSD without radar.

This isn't that dissimilar to the whole MobileEye fiasco of 2016 that set things back years as far as I'm concerned.
It is very different from the past MobileEye scenario. They switched from third party to in-house for that scenario. That’s huge.
This is a change in leadership of one individual.
Not the whole team, or a company change, etc.
He has already been out of the picture completely for 4 months. Nothing has changed dramatically in that time…

It is very different from the past MobileEye scenario. They switched from third party to in-house for that scenario. That’s huge.
This is a change in leadership of one individual.
Not the whole team, or a company change, etc.
He has already been out of the picture completely for 4 months. Nothing has changed dramatically in that time…
Nor has there been consistent movement forward since then either.

Nor has there been consistent movement forward since then either.
True, there hasn’t been any consistent movement forward, but that’s no different from what it was like prior to him leaving as well.

He left in late March or April sometime I believe.
Updates have progressed since he left, with the same pace they were at before he left.
Oct
Nov
April
June

They will likely be set back by his departure to some extent initially. How much we will see.
I haven’t seen any difference since he’s left, based on their past, but since he isn’t coming back, we will see how quickly they can fill the role, and keep moving forward.

From what I heard, Karpathy was symbiotically connected to Dojo iterating on the NN at light speed. As a code monkey, I know first hand that I can never type that fast to iterate on a project as large as FSD and meet Elon's ambitious deadlines.
This also explains the confusion from the Google engineer declaring last month that they encountered a sentient chatbot. It was just Karpathy testing FSD Alpha 12 in Dojo before he left.